Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Jude reviews the HD650

I smell a Powerbuy Jason! That should ensure a drop in price rather than just a single purchase.

I try to see whether I got lobang to get it cheap.

Please keep us posted Jason - will look forward to hearing abt the good news.

Dear Rameish,

I think this was stated on Jan Meier's post on HeadFi (on his very first post)-

Jan Meier wrote: The cable of the HD650 is thicker than that of the HD600 but the Sennheiser technician that is responsible for the cables (I met him in Berlin a few weeks ago) told me, that the inner conductors are the same for both cables. According to him there shouldn't be any major differences in cable sound.

Are you anticipatng the asian version ( if it so existed) will be of different specification?

It is also rumored that the ZuCable for the HD600/HD580 are applicable for the HD650, and IIRC Jude himself immediately swapped the stock cable for a Cardas as soon as he started his listening the HD650.

I personally feel that Sennheiser keeping this as an open option to upgrade but to me quite unneccessary IMHO.

Edited by matbon0013

Hang on to those Equinox & DIY cables as they should be retrofittable to the HD650 too.

Mat,

Seeking confirmation. I am not aware of any Asian Version. I would however like to find out of the cable is different as it is thicker and has what looks like larger connectors (PX-4G were the old ones what I don't know what Senn would be labeling this as). Senn owner generally don't look for major differences - even minor ones are worth consideration sounds. Still there is no harm in asking is there? From what little I know about cables, even the thickness of the outer sheath will alter the sound somewhat.

Also do note that Jan Meier will be launching a cable for the HD-650 which I'm sure will fit the HD-600, HD-580.

Rameish, I am actually looking for clarification on why Sennheiser does no address the cable issue. I really can't figure out why they can't just hardwire the headphone instead. If there is anything to go by, the HD600 is a very good pair of headphones indeed from my experience. Down right individualistic in its presentation, if I may say so especially with a cable upgrade. I won't get into the description of any sonic distinction but I would rate it very highly indeed. I just cant justify Sennheiser themselves not issuing a cable of all cables for the HD650.

From the pictures from HeadFi it does look like the connectors of the HD650 are indeed beefier (as are the stock cables) and to me this is the most obvious improvement visually, if you can call that. I think that was rectified due to the fact that the connectors on the HD600 are prone to breakage. But yeah, we are still relatively in the dark as to the sound quality improvements over the HD600. As I would say in Hi/HeadFi, hearing is believing. I am not sold yet on that.

To think that I need to cough up an extra US$150 minimum for a cable upgrade is a little to naff for my conscience. I remember my first experience of the HD600 (with an aftermarket cable), pluged it in and I was immediately sold. To me that is a sound I won't easily forget (simply overwhelming), and at that very instance I wanted one. That is why I'm a little suspect with regards to the HD650. If you can shed a light on this I would greatly appreciate it. However I do like the idea of DIY cable tinkering at a later stage not unlike your own Mod Mods World endeavours but thats another chapter.

As for the different versions I thought you would know, as I remembered the HD600 was manufactured in at least two countries hence my assumption it comes in different guises (like minute detailing for example, maybe). I might be wrong here though, if I am then please excuse me. Thank you!

Dear Rameish,

I think this was stated on Jan Meier's post on HeadFi (on his very first post)-

Jan Meier wrote: The cable of the HD650 is thicker than that of the HD600 but the Sennheiser technician that is responsible for the cables (I met him in Berlin a few weeks ago) told me, that the inner conductors are the same for both cables. According to him there shouldn't be any major differences in cable sound.

Are you anticipatng the asian version ( if it so existed) will be of different specification?

It is also rumored that the ZuCable for the HD600/HD580 are applicable for the HD650, and IIRC Jude himself immediately swapped the stock cable for a Cardas as soon as he started his listening the HD650.

I personally feel that Sennheiser keeping this as an open option to upgrade but to me quite unneccessary IMHO.

I have e-mailed Zu cable, they have stated that their mobius cable will fit the HD650. Although there was a thread in head-fi regarding the Mobius having fitting problem in the HD600.

Edited by lengcm

Mat,

Agree, the best connector would have been no connector. But, what to do, sennheier isn't obiously listening to people in head-fi and headwize and here.

Some good news is the Jan Meier replacement cable will be a lot cheaper - Eur/USD 25 if ordered with a headphones (obviouly more if ordered seperately).

But back to topic - has anyone ordered the HD-650 yet?

Edited by Rameish

Guys.

My friend's friend had lost the distributor right from Sennheiser in Singapore. This is because my F's F had become Panasonic distributor.

Well my friend will find another friend that has the distributor right.

Keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Jason