Huma Dragonbane

Do you support stealing of music (downloading) ?

Bulkie,

IF one were really "poor", where would one have the money to purchase a PC, subscribe to a ISP, maybe even buy an mp3 player? IF one were really "poor", wouldn't one be more concerned about living day to day than listening to music? There is a pretty big difference between needs and extravagances. I don't think you should be martyring yourself for the sake of the "poor" as I'm pretty sure the "poor" aren't interested in mp3s right now.

On the other hand. I think we have not really addressed the real issue of piracy here. If I buy a CD(original mind you), rip it to mp3 and decide to put it on the web to share, would I be committing piracy? If I made a copy of the CD and gave it to my friend, would that be piracy? If I made 100 copies and sold it for $5 at a pasar malam, would that be piracy? If I made 3 copies, 1 for work, 1 for the discman and 1 for the car, would that be piracy?

If I went into the net in search of a particular song for the express purpose of listening to it before purchasing the album(still original), would that be piracy? If I downloaded the entire album and burnt it onto CD, would that be piracy? Or if I made 100 copies of that CD I downloaded and sold at a pasar malam?

Remember in the days of cassettes, everyone made personal compilations for themselves or for that cute girl in the next class. Many of the songs were recorded off the radio, would that be piracy?

Why could we make tape compilations and NOT CD ones? Even from our own licensed CDs? Why do amps still have a tapeloop if copying is piracy?

The real pirates are the ones who download music for personal usage with the sole intention of NOT purchasing a licensed copy. The real pirates are the ones without a SINGLE CD in their collection and a million mp3s on their HD. The real pirates are the ones who sell these copies at pasar malams.

Piracy is stealing. Rich or Poor, stealing is still stealing. If you can do it on a clear conscience, go ahead, I'm not judging you. Similarly, it's not for us to judge another individual's actions (looking down on someone for being "poor" is also judging). All men are inherently evil, so who cares anyway.

Chris

This is IMO only, the real pirates are those who download music or copy CDs (or whatever format that may be) for the sole purpose of distribution for monetary gain. Again, within the scope we've discussed in previous posts.

I'd like to point out that cassettes/tapes were of a lesser concern for the Recording companies because due to the analogue format, 'perfect' copies could not be made unlike the digital format, without greater initial expense. Pirates could not make high quality recordings in great quantities or in the same short period of time it takes to make CDs.

Hey, I support the "stealing" of music via peer-to-peer file sharing or otherwise.

Because I really want to see the collapse of the music industry in its current form.

Seriously. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Market forces and technological advances

change business rules all the time. If the industry refuses to evolve, and instead chooses

to hang on their old business model AT THE COST OF THEIR LEGAL CUSTOMERS,

then they do deserve to collapse.

I won't be surprised if recording labels are actually making more overall profits due

to piracy of their music. The increase in market penetration, reach and exposure

of their artistes by an order of magnitude gives them access to a much wider

market audienceand much more business opportunities. If not for all the piracy,

did u think it would havebeen so easy for JPOP/KPOP to get into our market?

Or for Taiwanese/HK artistes to get into China and cut all those lucridious deals

for sponsorships, ads to be spokepeople for products?

I'm looking forward to the day where people can download music and mtvs for

free off the recording label's websites.

I agree with you erickoh.

Before piracy exists, jpop is more for japan market and not many can afford the original Japan import cds(how can! at least 50 bux per full album!). With the pirate in taiwan and HK printing and marketing the same cds for much cheaper price, people in other countries get to listen to their fav artistes. This helps to popularise the artistes.

Mod Comment: Keep this discussion going without any persoanl references. Looks like it's getting back on track. So I keep this thread open for now.