Huma Dragonbane

Do you support stealing of music (downloading) ?

Of course what I meant by that is that if you download without paying and not getting the song from a legal source.

I don't at all. Maybe I might download now and then to sample songs, even then it's from official webbys and if last resort, p2p but I'll delete after a couple of tries. I think it's totally wrong and definetly(I think) the reason why the music industry in singapore is suffering. So many shops have closed down, sigh.

It's gotten to the point where if you support original stuff you get ridiculed. It really pisses me off how cheapskate some people can be.

To think that cd prices in singapore are probably the cheapest in the world.

I will buy the cds only after testing some of the tracks, so as to make sure that my money will be worth spent.

personally, I do download music. but if a certain album is very good, i'll buy it. if not, most probably i'll delete it.

downloading mp3s is the only way i can sample more music without any restrictions. it is just too bad that radio stations here play mostly pop songs that are of not much interest to me. so yeah i do download and but also support. i really think that those who download mp3s to burn on cds and never buying any cds are really disgusting...

but of course, there is another reason why i buy cds. because mp3s are never good enough! w00t.gif

This topic belongs to the lounge and is consequently moved.

Edited by Mackie

The old Napster is still the best & I did download mp3s for the purpose of sampling music before I bought it on CDs. It was the best way of trying out new music that I was interested in & alot sometimes were unavailable here until I go overseas to buy it. The sample quality on official sites are well, quite frankly sh*te! However I can understand the many reasons for it.

I agree that CDs cost cheap in SG. CDs averages around $26 here. It used to be as much as up to $30 before we got regional pressings.

Opps, sorry mackie, didn't notice which forum I was in before I clicked the post topic button. My bad, thanks anyway.

$26? Err what kind of cds do you listen to? For me I usually get my cds from $14.90 to $18.90. But recently I've been starting to listen to less than popular bands, as such most of the cds cost $27 to about $40. Which I think still isin't that bad.

Actually I wanted to see if anyone downloaded not for the sole purpose of sampling. Like downloading it because he/she heard the song from somewhere, found it nice, downloaded it and didn't buy bother to buy the cd or single at all. Just enjoying the song that he/she stole. I'm totally against that. Once I saw a girl taking out a huge cd wallet to listen to another cd. Every single cd in that wallet was burnt. Some were entire albums. Her friend next to her asked, how come she doesn't have any original cds, she said she doesn't have any money. The ironical thing is? She was holding a cup of coffee from coffee bean that I'm very sure costs at least $6++. If one was able to afford luxuries like coffee the person could definetly afford to buy a cd, but typical of (most unfornately) singaporeans, the why buy when you can get free in another words cheapskate to the point where law doesn't matter prevails.

Errr, sorry for being so passionate, hope I didn't offend anyone(at least those who don't steal music that is) hehe. party.gif

I usually download live/acoustic/concert versions of songs that I have the CDs for. They never release live albums anyway, and I've always liked these bootleg tracks. Sometimes you can find the strangest tracks to download that you could never buy on CD.

example. I have a track of Chris Issak and Metallica singing "Nothing Else Matters". It was recorded live in a radio station for a live broadcast. other examples. "U2" singing "Dancing Queen"(yes the abba song) in a concert, or "Radiohead" covering "Nobody does it better".

Most of the music that I want is not available on CD(and sometimes in Singapore) so I'm forced to DL them as well.

Chris

Huma Dragonbane, I'm not from SG hence the great price differential of CDs.

yongchris, how is the quality of the D/L tracks you mentioned above? I quite like to listen to that sort of music.

yongchris, how is the quality of the D/L tracks you mentioned above? I quite like to listen to that sort of music.

depends on the rarity of the song actually.

usually I try to get the 128bit 44hz versions, but I'd settle for 64bit.

I then usually compile the songs and burn into wav on CD. I'd normalize the volume, cos alot of them have varying volume encoding.

I'll post up a list of the rare songs I have, if you want them, I can setup an ftp server and you can come grab them.

though, if you're desperate, just use kazaa and search with the keywords "<bandname>", "live", "acoustic". That's what I usually do. And I'd surf the net for my fav bands concerts and look for songlists.

Chris

btw, just chris, not yongchris wink.gif

pps, if you like covers, you should really listen to apocalyptica's version of Nothing Else Matters. A cello quartet playing metallica. AMAZING!

usually I try to get the 128bit 44hz versions, but I'd settle for 64bit.

You mean Kbps or Kilobits per second? and 44.1Khz?

I used to download. Now i don't. They just sound too awful (esp below 192kbps). If I want to sample, I usually search online for samples like .rm (real media) or whatever streaming samples (usually amazon has).

Also I feel that if you really support the artist or at least a few of his/her songs, just get an album.

Oh yes, if 1 day u see some people having 1 whole box of burned black CD, please don't make any conclusion first. It may be me or someone else who has burned copies onto black CDs of the albums he own at home. biggrin.gif

Edited by lekguan

I personally dun think sharing media files is wrong. Nothing's fair in this world...............better the big companies suffer than us ( consumers ).

party.gif

I feel that if there is something like .wav and monkey audio or any other lossless song p2p, I would join in. I would still buy, though, albums of artistes with around 3 songs or more which I like. I would not mind considering something like iTunes though, where you pay to download a song. At least you wouldn't have to pay the price of an album for a single song. If only it was .wav and if only there were other payment methods other than credit card, which my mother isn't exactly very comfortable in doing online transaction with, and I personally feel isn't as safe as real life credit card payment.

I personally dun think sharing media files is wrong. Nothing's fair in this world...............better the big companies suffer than us ( consumers ).

party.gif

Dude, in the long run the consumer is gonna suffer as well. Think about it.

suffer in what way? please enlighten me on this wink.gif

The music industry collapses, where are we gonna get our music? The radio would collapse and so would mtv. If it does collapse, the economy wouldn't be in a really good shape as well. Plus what if they take drastic measures to control music piracy to the point where it might even alienate those that do not steal music.