Huma Dragonbane

Do you support stealing of music (downloading) ?

For your info, mp3s and piracy have been around for quite a long time already(napster, then audiogalaxy, then kazaa imesh and whatsnot). It gets even more popular with the introduction of mp3 capable players like some creative, ipod etc. Infact, many people I know have switched to mp3 listening and no longer buys the cd unless it contains absolutely wonderful tracks.

But does the music industry collapse? no. So does the mtv and the radio.

The music industry will never collapse because for every cd, IMHO they earn quite a lot, enough to cover their loss.

It's not been THAT a long time. It is only taking effect seriously because it's getting out of hand. A study was done by an independent research team that with the ever increasing number of people downloading music for free the music industry would collapse in 6-7 years time. Unfornately that was taken from the newspapers and I don't have a scanner. But if I do get the chance to have it scanned I'll post it up here.

Will never collapse dude? The cost to produce and release a cd costs at least $10. If less and less people are buying cds, how are they gonna survive? Eventually it will collapse. I mean look at the state of the music industry in singapore, it's bad. A significant number of cd shops have closed down and the rest are trying to survive. If they can cover their losses they wouldn't be closing down or trying to survive.

Are u sure it takes 10 bucks to produce and release a CD? Im not in the music making industry but I noe for certain their cost price issent 10 bucks, i doubt its even 5 bucks. U might have read articles about researches and stuff, and believe the music industry would fall if piracy continues.

The only way to shut off piracy is to ultimately lower their original retailing prices. And trust me on one thing, big recording companies would not collapse just because of a few mp3s floating around.

Mp3s are a cheap alternative for young people out there. I dun see a reason y we should try to take that away from them. During my younger days I had to save and starve just so that I can get my favourite depeche mode albums.

As far as Im concern, sharing files of any genre issen't a sin.

yes.gif

Music industry will never collapse.

Just take a look of vinyl. How many people buy them? quite limited to audiophiles.

But does the industry collapse ? Nope , I don't think so.

I think the same scenario will take effect for cd(if ever less and less is buying them), because there'll always be a no. of people who will get cds(those who care abt audio quality) and support it.

You said it yourself- at least 10 dollars. How much does the cd cost outside spore? at least 30 dollars sing per album. Tell me how many percent do they reap from selling of 1 album?

The price of cds have luckily come down over the years. Over all these period (10 years and more), how many millions have they made?

not enough to cover their loss? rolleyes.gif

If it's not a viable business anymore, why would they want to continue? Regardless whether they cover or do not cover their losess. The cost for producing a cd in singapore is $10, but in other countries it should be different since the materials used to manufacture the discs in singapore is really lousy. Plus, they aren't selling cds at a full price of $30, else how do shops survive?

In Singapore, album prices are VERY VERY fair already. If you are taling about $25 per album or more, perhaps I would say that they are overcharging. $18, $19, these familiar prices are very fair, and I think that an album bought for that price is worth every cent.

To some ppl PIRACY is crap, illegal, un-ethical, whatever.

To me PIRACY helps poor people out to a certain extent. Like I mentioned earlier on I wouldn't have had to starve during my secondary school days to buy albums if there were mp3s then. Back then, forking out money for 1-2 albums a week wasn't a joke.

IMHO, retailers, shops, distributors come and go. Every business has a lifespan.

Let's just try to look at PIRACY from a poor man's shoes shall we? For once at least.

If a CD is created and retail at the price of S$20, the break down would be:

Singer - $2

CD - $0.10

Packing - $0.40

Shipping - $0.50

Retail shop - $2

Marketing and advertisement - $2

GOVT tax - $1

Others - $2

Music company - $10

It is just a rough estimation but as you can see that they earn 50% even after tax. Now you know why the government would not want their citizen to buy pirated stuff. They don't earn a single cent.

If anyone watch 20/20; an US weekly show about the current affair in the states. On one particular day, it discuss about some teenagers being sued for uploading pirated music on the web for other to download.

Their statements is music sharing is ok with some basis.

1. Just when radio was launched, the music industry scared that their music being publisized and nobody would buy their record. What happen was the radio boosted the music industry.

2. When tape recorder appear, same thing happen and some duplication appear. This time the music industry earns even more because they can mass produce and earn a lot because of lower manufacture cost.

Well, what I wanted to say is downloading mp3 maybe bad but it is also good. There is no right or wrong only until the time has come.

Some very good points being highlighted. I too think the underlying issue is Piracy. However unlike Bulkie I feel that to break the rules of piracy for the benefit of poorer people is hypocracy. Also the argument where you could avoid starving if mp3 were around instead of having to buy CDs is setting your priorities wrong. It wouldn't be an issue if it is like in the case (yong)chris mentioned where the only way to get the music is via mp3s.

Legitamit companies/musicians/artists will suffer, especially the small timers who can't adapt to the changing times as fast as the big boys.

Yeah, starving myself in order to get my music when i was in my younger days was dumb.

Piracy in the 1st place.....was catered to the poorer ppl anyway. Which rich b*stard would care about purchasing pirated stuffs or download media files from the net?

I believe everyone in this forum has or plan to download some kinda "PIRATED" file from the net. If we can break the rules for our own benefit, y can't we break em for the poorer ppl?

I'm not really a firm believer of the law anyway (although I'm taking a few goddamn law modules now), it does have its flaws and wrongs at times.

Agree with me or not, PIRACY is here to stay, for now at least.

Piracy in the first place was meant to make the people who pirated CDs rich. Rich b*stard also buy pirated stuff but they do it discretely. wink.gif

It is just the way how this region works, even the government closed one eye on this. What I hear from my colleague that the Australian govt is very strict on the piracy stuff and it caused Aust a bit back dated. Don't know how true is this.

Piracy can never be eliminated. It is good when it is in a small, very tighlty controlled amount. When it flourishes, its VERY VERY VERY BAD.

Yeah, starving myself in order to get my music when i was in my younger days was dumb.

Piracy in the 1st place.....was catered to the poorer ppl anyway. Which rich b*stard would care about purchasing pirated stuffs or download media files from the net?

I believe everyone in this forum has or plan to download some kinda "PIRATED" file from the net. If we can break the rules for our own benefit, y can't we break em for the poorer ppl?

I'm not really a firm believer of the law anyway (although I'm taking a few goddamn law modules now), it does have its flaws and wrongs at times.

Agree with me or not, PIRACY is here to stay, for now at least.

If that's the case why don't poor people just steal whatever they want. You make it seem that by being poor you have the right to steal. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you're above the law. I believe if you wanted your cds why not get a part time job? I'm doing that just so that I have money for my other expenses.

To some ppl PIRACY is crap, illegal, un-ethical, whatever.

To me PIRACY helps poor people out to a certain extent. Like I mentioned earlier on I wouldn't have had to starve during my secondary school days to buy albums if there were mp3s then. Back then, forking out money for 1-2 albums a week wasn't a joke.

IMHO, retailers, shops, distributors come and go. Every business has a lifespan.

Let's just try to look at PIRACY from a poor man's shoes shall we? For once at least.

If every business has a lifespan no matter what, why would people bother to open shops if it's going to fail in the end? If what you say is true, how come the cd shops are all closing down at around the same time?

U make it sound as if the poor ppl have got something against u. U make it sound as if ur a big fan of anti-piracy. Good on ya mate. If so, pls dun even download mp3s for sampling purposes becoz thats already considered stealing in the eyes of the law, irregardless or whether u keep or delete them.

Lets do a simple test by taking a look at some of the stuffs u use daily.

1. The OS (operating system) ur using. Issit a legitimate copy that you bought? Or issit a pirated one or an original u borrowed off a fren. Allow me to remind u as long as the copy is not urs, its not legitimate.

2. Common software like MS OFFICE. Oh pls don't tell me u bought the original one for a few hundred bucks.

3. You being a young singaporean, havent u bought any pirated vcds or dvds at all?

4. As I've stated above, mp3s u've downloaded off the net via p2p.

If any of these is fulfilled. You have already violated piracy laws. So go take a piss urself instead of getting pissed by poor ppl who support piracy.

Of coz u might just be one of those Mr.Nice kinda guy who does everything strictly abiding by the law. If thats the case then...........i'll APOLOGISE.

beer.gif