Gouki

What music do you use to break in?

Guys lets discuss about the mobile phone issue here.

Updates on the Sonys.

After making some quick comparisons between the Sony and Senns 570, here's a summary :

SENNHEISER 570 SYMPHONY

HIP HOP - "this is how we do it" - Mis-teeq (Rishi Rich Mix)

- Senns do play bass reasonably well, but you can never mistaken them for bass phones. Even with this song, the highs seemed a little distorted and the vocals felt a little lost in the music.

The Senns. are OK as long as the songs are not musically overwhelming (ie. not too many things going on, otherwise they will drown each other and all you hear is a general idea of the music that you're listening to, not the music itself).

BALLAD - "Naotaro Moriyama" - Sakura

- This is a fairly simple song, comprising of only a male singer, guitar, drums, piano and trumpet. So, it should be easy enough to listen to on the Senns.

Well, its not bad, but the vocals sounded distant, like they were singing loudly in another room with one door opened. To be fair, I think the recording of this song had a lot to do with this, its just that it sounded better on the Sony.

TECHNO - Paul van Dyk - For an Angel

- Not bad, better than I thought....on low-medium volume. Crank up the volume and you'll start hearing crackles. Put it this way, they sound better than a lot of other budget phones like Aiwa, Panasonic, Creative or whatever, they just don't have enough power to play energised music.

MOVIE - Armageddon (DivX DVD RIP)

- Pretty good! For once, the Senns were good at something. I have been using these phones for more than 2 years mainly to play movies and low quality mp3s.

-----------------------------------------------

The Senns overall sounded muffled, distant and uninspiring in comparison to the Sonys. I think they are effective if the music is not played too loudly (like low to medium), but what's the point in that? I was not able to compare it with the Sony EGGOS, but I think even the EGGOS were better at playing HIP HOP/POP and TECHNO than the Senns.

In terms of comfort, however, they were clearly more comfortable to use and wear. Lighter and cushioned earpads, I can fall asleep on these while watching a movie.

SONY CD3000

HIP HOP - "this is how we do it" - Mis-teeq (Rishi Rich Mix)

- Woah! Talk about bass galore, the bass on these phones had a lot of presence. The vocals were not drowned out by the rest of the music and they sounded a lot clearer than the Senns. The Sony is great for POP/HIP HOP.

BALLAD - "Naotaro Moriyama" - Sakura

- Much more inspiring than the Senns. The vocals sounded more natural, more upfront, more emotional, which I think is very important in a ballad. The Sonys, however, felt very "in your face". The music can sometimes sound a little too loud (even though I'm using the same volume level for both phones). Sonys are very easy to drive, whereas the Senns. needs an AMP to get more out of them.

TECHNO - Paul van Dyk - For an Angel

- The Sony's are great techno phones hands down. They have plenty of power (and even more in reserve) to play dance music. Take care of your ears though, they can get very loud!

MOVIE - Armageddon (DivX DVD RIP)

- I found them a little uncomfortable to wear after a long period of time, perhaps my head is too weak to carry such a huge pair of headphones (but I think you'll understand if you had been using the lightweight Senns. for a long time). Otherwise, the Sonys were very capable movie phones.

Sony sounded much livelier after burning in for the last few days, bass sounds very strong, vocals were more natural and inspiring, and soundstage seemed wider.

Wearing them, however, was a little tiring because they were heavier than the Senns. I've even tried lying down on my double pillow while watching a DVD (on my computer) and because of the size of the phones, I couldn't really move my head or even fall asleep.

My first impression and comparison between the Senns. 570 and the Sony CD3000 is not suppose to convince anybody of anything. I've had my Senns. for over 2 years, and I got the Sonys because I felt that I needed an upgrade as I wasn't satisfied with the way the Senns. played rock and techno. I'm comparing something fairly old and used (Senns.) with something that is probably not fully broken in yet (Sonys).

But I am convinced of one thing, there is no such thing as a cheap substitute for quality headphones. You get what you paid for, and for the Sonys, I got something that was twice as expensive as the Senns, and substantially better soundwise.

It would've been a waste of time and money buying cheaper phones and upgrading them each time. I wanted to buy something good and be done with it, and that's why I went all the way to getting the second best phone in the Sony range.

Now I have heard the STAX II and I was impressed...................... tongue.gif

Edited by Gouki

That's why I have my ety er-4s .

The sonys can get a little heavy especially if you are tired and all..

and they are just as good w00t.gif

btw, great impression gouki. Glad that you like the sony.

So are you going for the staxII ? happy.gif

That's why I have my ety er-4s .

The sonys can get a little heavy especially if you are tired and all..

and they are just as good w00t.gif

btw, great impression gouki. Glad that you like the sony.

So are you going for the staxII ? happy.gif

The STAX II are probably the best combination phones/amp that you could get at a price that's still cheaper than the R10.

They are slightly lighter 385g and feels more cushioned than the CD3000 and R10(400g?), so I'm thinking they could be the next logical upgrade for me.

But it will all depend on how lovable my Sonys become, perhaps I won't even trade them.

PS. I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to sound, headphones and speakers and I have below average hearing (ie. I'm slightly deaf). I think my feedback is just to give people an idea of how popular the CD3000s are, because they are really good.

Well, if you do decide to get rid of them I'm sure there will be alot of willing foster parents here wink.gif

I hate reading audio gear review. mad.gif ...because....where can I buy the Sony CD3000 in singapore? w00t.gif

Plan Tokyo, Japan as your next holiday destination..........kill 2 birds with one (maybe a pair) air ticket. biggrin.gif

Well,

I may be in Singapore at the end of this year, I could bring back a couple CD3000s if anyone is interested.

hmmmm...... might have to rethink that statement... tongue.gif

Very very nice of U Gouki! This could result in a power buy and revive my suppressed desire to give CD3K an audition. LOL

To not audition cd3k is already an insult in itself lol.giflol.gif

considering they're one of the best closed cans and is right there below The King w00t.gif

Huh??

Personally, I think the STAX gave me a very professional impression.

Why do you need an audition with headphones? Almost every audio shop in Singapore do not present display headsets for people to try, and if they did, you couldn't really test them fully (some may not even be broken in).

At least in Japan, I was able to bring my audio source with me, change cables and try all the competing headphones in 2 hours. Yes, I was given freedom to try them all, but some of these phones had been there for like 10 years, erroding with paint peeling off and the earpads wearing away. Not sure if that was the best condition to compare.

Anyway, I think reading a lot of reviews and other people's feedback helps a lot in deciding which pair of phones may be good for you.

I was reading a lot about the Senns. 600 because they were cheaper, but I had to buy all sorts of things like proper amps, players etc to get the best out of them (which I did not have the time to do).

Very very nice of U Gouki! This could result in a power buy and revive my suppressed desire to give CD3K an audition. LOL

Couldn't you try BLUES headset or some of the other members in Singapore?

I think mackie was very busy during the last 2 meet hence he couldn't listen to all gears.

Mackie, if you want I can come down your house with my cd3k sometime after my exam. That, if you permit. wanna hear the rkv hooked up to A3 and cd3k blush.gif