Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Burning In Update

I now believe that some cans like the Beyer DT-880 do require more than 72 hours as minimum burn in period. In fact I think somthing like 300 hours may actually be required. I noticed that my Beyer DT-880 actually started to loose some of its recessed mids around the 100 hour mark or so. I will burn this in further till it hits the 300 hour mark.

An additional note is that the given drivers in any headphone sound less than optinum when they not warmed up. That is the can will always sound slightly better after about 1 hr of useage. So before swapping betwen headphones make sure both are warmed up. Sounds crazy huh? Go try it and report back. Use the same track, warm up all other gear except the headphone then listen to a track. After about 1/2 to 1 hr go back to that track. You'll find you'll probably enjoy it the second time better.

Anyone care to explain?

Warm up

The warm up case is very true of the DT880. I find them more listenable after a good 1 hr warm up which is no hardship since I have to warm up my tube amp for at least 1 hour anyway.

I don't know how to explain it but I always use the car analogy. "It's always wise to warm up the car with some light driving after the engine has idled evenly. Then once it has reached it's normal/optimal operating temperature then you can thrash the living daylights out of the engine & gearbox...". Errr... maybe it has something to do with optimum operating temperature?

I've noticed that when I have CDs on Repeat All, the tracks always sound better to me the 2nd time. I've always thought it was purely psychological?

Okay so we can say for sure that even completely burnt in headphones benefit from this warm up. There I was thinking I was heading voices LOL.

IMO all audio replay equipment benefits from burn in and also warming up aspecially the transducers or/and anything mechanical. It somehow sounds better and listenable.

When using my Mint amp I usually power it on around for 30 minutes before i start listening through it, that is why I never vpower down any of my static (stationary) listening gears. Just my 2¢

I remeber when using the altec lansing 621 PC speakers, I left them on the whole day (as in the switch). One day, I turned it off, and later when i came back from school, played some music, it sounded so yucky. Very harsh. So I though "What Happened?" I went away, leaving the music playing. An hour later, I came back, and it sounded near to original! I then read up on the net, discovering that leaving it on actually allows the circuit to remain in the optimum condition when you want to use them. Oh well, since headphones cannot be left "on" without playing any music, I believe, some should also benefit from warming up, if not all.

Too much drinky winky! beer.gif

I've commented previously that Sipher's, Norther Oak's and my pair of DT880s all sounded different owing to different stage in burn-in and ownership periods. Notably improved in the later stage is the mid range-upper bass region. This was discovered after several months from my power buy. This proves than some cans (like speakers) take a long time to age (like fine wine). Some who have reliquished their 880s after that power buy may have missed hearing the finest hour of these cans.

According to Robert Harley (formerly Chief Technical Editor of Stereophile), even burn-in mileage can fade if an audio gear is not used for some time.

Edited by Mackie

unsure.gifunsure.gif .. I hope I can 'take back' my pair and listen to the improvement.. unsure.gif

Mackie,

Isn't it frightening that some people don't even believe in burn-in? Long ago in this forum there was a guy called black adder who pooh poohed about the idea. Anyways, it's good to know that equipment can start to revert back when there's insufficient usage - when you think about it it makes sense - just think about the about of wires in a headphone. If IC can lose some of ther burn in then I guess headphones can/should as well if not used for a period.

btw, nowadays exam period I lazy to off my cdplayer already

both the A3 and corda are well-warmed up throughout this week and next week, I think!

So I all I need to do is to insert a cd and play! yay! w00t.gif