Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Racing notebook

You should see how acer was before year 2001. It is nearly impossible to find anything before 2000 from acer in the 2nd hand market because they have all broken down biggrin.gif

No, seriously, acer has improved by leaps and bounds over the last year or two. Still not as good but I believe it is still trying to improve.

I have an acer desktop bought 2001 october. just before the 1 year warranty over, the mobo died. They came down, replaced. just after the warranty over, cd drive dead. 1 year after warranty over, signs of mobo dying again. person came down, found out 1st ram slot dead. This was acer quality. it has improved, but still not too recommended.

my DELL notebook not too good either. about 1 year after bought, mobo also die. tt is because of my stupidity. I ran SETI@Home on my notebook with no external cooling. luckily warranty 3 years. The person came down and replaced the mobo worth over 800SGD! imagine tt.

my toshiba is now 1 over year old already.

never encountered any problems before.

I find fujitsu slim ones very ruggard. I know of many teachers who drop them while walking and yet no problems except some cosmetic flaws. VERY VERY expensive though

yea fujitsu is good also.. but as you've said too ex..

once I was considering it.. but comparing the price to toshiba.. the fujitsu is way more expensive.

Whatsmore, the specs were lousier... and both were made in japan.. no difference in there sleep.gif

fujitsu s6120 is good.

common but good.the build of the current line doesn't look that strong, very plastic but the overall performance is excellent.

So what do you guys think of the current Dell series?

well ..... notebook i have a little research !!! on it !!! for Dell !!! hmm ... i should said the desktop is much more better !! my desktop is make by dell !! and it have been providing alll the fun without any break down for 2 years but notebook gotta ask lekguan cos he own one ... !! haha .. but it sound very bad !!!!

compact is also not bad !! sony is rather good but verycostly just like fujitsu , toshiba is another worth buy @ wub.gif

my mom using fujitsu n sis using compaq.

i have better impressions of the compaq. built like a tank n its also heavy like a tank lol.gif

I beg to differ, Dell desktop series the low end ones are cheapo. Sometimes the components aren't up to standard. I've heard from a few friends that they discovered thier 2.0Ghz bought around $1000 are actually overclocked from 1.8Ghz checked by a CPUID program.

I would say that Dell build and quality is not as good as many competing branded counterparts. However, I strongly recommend Dell notebooks for 1 simple reason. They are so damn customizable. Its a cross between other brands' somewhat fixed specs and a built-to-taste system. You get what you mostly want for a much lower price. Of course, if there is already a better brand which has the same configuration you want, don't think twice, go for it instead of dell.

There is something I need to awe about dell. That is its support. Next day business onsite warranty. Everytime I have problem they come the next day. Very fast. And they usually already being the required spare parts especially when thye suspect some parts are already dead. (for example after i described how my notebook cannot be turned on, they came the next day with a mobo. They didnt suspect a dead RAM so I had to live on 1 RAM for a day before the replacement came the next). And you can upgrade to 3 years warranty. Anyway, I'm not sure about other brands. If you open your notebook, eg replace HDD, add RAM, blah, will warranty be voided? Dell's won't. I think other won't as well, will they?

My 'obsolete' Dell Dimension L733r (upgraded to 1.0Ghz, 256MB RAM, 40Gig HDD & 15" LCD screen around 1 1/2 yrs) has been very reliable (after a switch from Win ME to Win2K) so far. The 3 year warranty expired in July of this year & it still is going strong. Although after using the P4 machines at the office it is showing it's age a little.

Dell is alright.

My friend's acer laptop (3 years I think?) had so many dead pixel.. one was particularly annoying.. bright red right in the centre sleep.gif

I knew coz I helped her to format and re-installed the OS

Dell's main selling is its price and specs, it almost always have the newest components at the cheapest price compared to its competitor's. However, I have heard a lot complains abt them in other forums, things like poor support, lousy parts and so on. I've been using a Dell Laptop for more than 6 mths now at my workplace so far so good no problems. Only complain is heavy weight and ugly design compared with the rest tongue.gif

I think the best laptops on the market now are still IBM and Fujitsu, but both are damn ex and don't have good graphics card.

wink.gif hm they are not meant for gaming, that is the reason.

but if you go for their desktop replacement model, it's decent enough.

Currently have geforce 440 32 mb I think on my toshiba.Good enough for the type of games that I play

My friend's acer laptop (3 years I think?) had so many dead pixel.. one was particularly annoying.. bright red right in the centre sleep.gif

I knew coz I helped her to format and re-installed the OS

Sounds familiar, I've seen 2 acer notebooks with that same problem.

wink.gif hm they are not meant for gaming, that is the reason.

but if you go for their desktop replacement model, it's decent enough.

Currently have geforce 440 32 mb I think on my toshiba.Good enough for the type of games that I play

Fujitsu likes to use integrated graphics with shared memory no.gif.... at least IBM got Radeon 7500. I've to make a choice sometime soon next year which laptop to get hopefully by then there's more choices and cheaper price yes.gif

BTW BENQ's new laptop the Joybook 8000 (i think) is kinda super value for $$ with its specs and price.. however I think its part of Acer rite ? and the design is yucky.gif