Sign in to follow this  
Scriberex

X-can v3 goes well with ?

OK fess up, how would you know they are made for the HD650?! whistling.gif

N@Z,

;-) all sorts of people leave things at my door step.

Scriberex,

Nope only listened tot he 541i

Edited by Rameish

Lucky basalt! What else have you been getting at your door step? Does it involve any 36-34-36? LOL!

So using the v3 what are the differences between the HD600 & HD650?

Whoops I meant 36-24-36! blush.giflol.gif

soooo we have somebody who is probably one of the very very lucky few who have heard the hd650's!

When are yer impressions coming up Rameish?

hm....finally i can "hear"some interesting discussion in this main forum already. well well, for me...the cdp u all talking about it's out of my knowledge, at leaste until now tongue.gif

i havent got my cdp yet...coz i still have a lot of stuff to tackle with, and a lot of stuff to buy, which are in higher priority than the cdp wink.gif

hey hey,OT for a while...dun make fun of me again ok?hehe...though i might do watever i can to get the cans and cdp i want...but dun make my "to-get list" as a funny topic to chat or discuss with biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

Does it involve any 36-34-36?

For a very brief moment, I thought U have developed a taste entirely different from Kylie, matey. laugh.gif

Edited by Mackie

laugh.gif I blame the DT150's sheer weighty sound for distracting me to make that 'slight' error. All it takes is one little numerical error & my image could have suffered long term rammifications!

Still waiting for Rameish's comments.

Hi, thought I'd give an update of how my set-up is coming along. rolleyes.gif

NAD 542> Straightwire Chorus i/c > X-can v3 > Beyer DT880s.

I auditioned the NAD541i and 542 (S$550) at Alpha Audio, and frankly my ears couldn't quite tell the difference, esp. since the service staff was quite impatient.

It eventually boiled down to:

1) 542 had nicer buttons, slightly nicer profile (rounded edges)

2) What Hi-fi said it was slightly improved from 541i

3) For the price difference of S$25, I figured, what the heck?

Probably not very audiophilic rationale (don't flame me!!), but I like wub.gif

By the way, the NADs don't come with a built-in headphone out. dry.gif

I can't give much of an assessment of the 542's qualities, since the sound also depends on the other components and I don't have another CDP to compare. Together with the rest of the setup, the reproduction is accurate, transparent and detailed, in short, musical tongue.gif .

The Straightwire Chorus (S$50) was bought together with the X-cans, I figured just to get a decent starter i/c just to get the set-up started until I find a good matching i/c.

X-cans v3 - When I brought it home and gave it a prelim listen through the HD590s. Very lively dynamic sound, but definitely bright, esp. on the high frequencies, with an edgey feel to it (Just checked the glossary, I think the sound is grainy). Partly, accentuated by the bright HD590s also, I think. Maybe the other X-can owners can describe the sound better. Sound somewhat mellowed over the burn-in, but it was still there until the tube-roll.

Tube-rolling the Xcan

After listening to Barradio's tube-rolled Xcan v2 (Mmmm.. nice, thanks!), decided to invest in a pair of Mullards EE88CC (CV2493) to give the Xcan a warmer sound. (Rant: Dunno why Musical Fidelity insists on using the stock Jan Philips tubes when the reviews on the v1 and v2 seem to recommend changing the tubes dry.gif ) The Mullards come in at least 2 versions - CV2492 and CV2493. According to Frankie (http://www.wellaudiolab.com), the CV2492 (S$55) is more susceptable to vibrations and recommended the CV2493 (S$85). By the way, the X-can v3 tube base does come with stock rubber dampeners, so maybe the CV2492s may be alright as well, dunno!

Basically followed the instructions on tube-rolling the X-can v2 http://www.nickdangerous.com/misc/xcans/index.htm as a guide.

MMMmmm! Very pleased with the Mullards... Very instanteous relief... the trademark smoothness, warmth was very apparent, even to my untrained ears. Also relieved that the dynamism and liveliness of the X-can is still there. Bass is lively, quick, but not overpowering. Listened to the 5th Element soundtrack "The Diva Dance", for the ear-bleeder test biggrin.gif The operatic vocals were smooth but not overpowering, slightly backgroundish most of the track compared to the dominant percussion and techno beat, which was sharp, punchy, fast, but not overpowering. The imaging was pretty awesome. I was hearing a lot more detail than I ever heard. At one point in the track, there is a knocking sound and I kept turning my head each time to see who was coming in laugh.gif Overall, suits my listening tastes - Diana Krall, Emi Fujita, etc., Buona Vista Social Club series.

DT880s - Took my time comparing the HD600s and DT880s at Hung Bros, and was won over by the detail and intimacy of the DT880s. Alot has been said about the DT880s so I'll be brief. Also, my impressions are pretty much mixed in with the above on the X-cans. About 170 hrs into the burn-in, the sound has opened up pretty much, I'm hearing more detail and airy openess, great rhythm, timing and pace. The cans love the Mullards. rolleyes.gif I'm not much of a basshead being mainly a fan of jazz vocals, but am looking forward to hearing a bit more bass with further burn-in (as advised by Mackie, thanks).

After picking-up the new DT880s, I had the pleasure of hearing Barradio's set-up the next day, including the Sony CD3000s (about 5 minutes). Bad decision! I don't know much about soundstage, but whatever it is, the Sonys have it!!! I can fully understand what Mackie meant by the DT880s putting you in the audience. By that measure, I reckon the CD3000s will have you sitting beside Diana Krall at the piano. kissing.gif

(Do the DT150s give the same impact?) Still love my DT880s, very enjoyable and has great strengths... innocent.gif but the CD3Ks deserve all the praise it receives.

That's all folks. Looking forward to auditioning some cables to form the last piece of the puzzle.

Sorry for making such a long post. And thanks for the help from the good people here with their advice. If some observations are a bit wonky, feel free to let me know.

Cheers!

Scriberex

Edited by Scriberex

I enjoyed your post scriberex. DT150 will place U amongst the musicians and closer to the instruments than 880, which IMO, is anchored in the audience.

Thanks Mackie, esp. for the advice. By the way, cool avatar, but will miss the babe tongue.gif

Mmmm... so many cans to try out... so little money.... biggrin.gif

I personally feel that interconnect is a very important component in hifi. It does not change the nature of the sound, but it will make your system sounds to its maximum.

Im using the dnm reson terminated with bullet plugs now, previously using a diy pair. You will be amazed to hear the difference, it sounded very detailed suddenly and has more controlled highs. Uncontrolled highs will cause ur setup to be slightly bright at times.

I personally feel that interconnect is a very important component in hifi. It does not change the nature of the sound, but it will make your system sounds to its maximum.

Im using the dnm reson terminated with bullet plugs now, previously using a diy pair. You will be amazed to hear the difference, it sounded very detailed suddenly and has more controlled highs. Uncontrolled highs will cause ur setup to be slightly bright at times.

The DNM Reson w Bullet Plugs is a good start to another "money-pit" upgraditis hobby. biggrin.gif $100 than $300 and $1K ...... rolleyes.gif

Thanks Belgarion and Headphonecrazy for the suggestions. Will try to borrow a pair to have a listen and compare. Hope there will be lots of cables to try out at the Meet. Cheers! Scriberex