Sign in to follow this  
Scriberex

X-can v3 goes well with ?

Hi All

Was in Sim Lim, and decided to pick up the X-can v3 for the heck of it as my starter home amp. (Was thinking of waiting for a 2nd hand v2 in the forums or to order a headsave amp, but it looked so cool... blush.gif )

Now I need to figure out what would be a good pair of cans and CD player to complement it.

Been searching the forums, but haven't found a lot of discussion on the v3, although most comments relating to the v2 was that the Philips tubes should be replaced. I've seen suggestions to replace them with JJ Electronic or Mullard E88cc tubes. http://www.nickdangerous.com/misc/xcans/index.htm (I think Headphonecrazy had posted that he replaced his with Mullards.) I also read couple of suggestions to change the power supply, and capacitors.

Frankly, as a newbie who hasn't heard many amps or cans, and still hunting for my dream cans to complement the X-cans, I'm not totally sure what I should be listening for - too bright? fatiguing? The amp certainly improves the clarity and detail from my ipod but I don't have much basis for comparison.

Would appreciate your advice on my following questions:

1) Any advice on the perfect cans for the X-can v3? I think Rameish mentioned in another post that the X-cans should be paired with high impedance headphones. All my cans (PX100, MX500, HD590-sister's, Shure E2-coming..) are low impedance, so far. Is the DT-150 or CD3000 a good match?

2) Likewise, can anyone recommend a CDP that will be a good match for my X-can v3? I'm thinking of Marantz CD6000OSE, NAD 541i/521i, Rotels etc (Thanks, N@z). Views and recommendations?

3) I'm game to experiment with Mullard tubes. Umm.. where is a good place to buy them and how much? Any views on JJ Electronic's tubes?

4) I've read a fair bit about burning in headphones, but how do you burn in amps? (sorry if the answer is obvious but had to ask)

Look forward to your views and advice. If anyone has interest / is willing to meet up to run my x-can through its paces with your more formidable cans, cables and cdps, do drop me a pm biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Scriberex

590 is low impedance?

i would recommend using those to burn in...

just follow the guide set by rameish... although that burning in time for amps take longer...

I don't know about x-can V3(haven't heard), but if it's similar sounding to the x-can V2, I bet the sony cd3000 will be a good match.

most important is that you like the sound of the cans wub.gif !! so try out laugh.gif ... before making your decision !! happy.gif

Wow! You don't hang about, X-cans V3! You've bought them already? Your ipod is not worthy! tongue.gif

For the Mullard tubes, Rameish might still have some NOS (New Old Stock, emphasis on unused & unopened! Sweet!) CV4003 tubes which is the cheapest I've found even taking into account of Ebay. PM him for the price. Come to think of it, can it be used in the v3? On my amp it sounds very detailed without sounding bright at all.

Oh boy, the problem with buying things for the heck of it is that you've then got to search for the missing pieces. I should know, I ran out and bought a CD player without buying a home amp. wink.gif

So now, you only got to look for:

Interconnects

CDplayer

Headphones

better tubes for the V3?

Good luck! tongue.gif

Thanks for all your advice and inputs.

Blues: Yes, I heard that CD3000s go well with X-can v2 from some comments at Head-fi as well. I'm just wondering how other comments about X-cans requiring cans with high impedance will gell with CD3000s's 32 ohm.

N@z: Thanks for your advice. You've hurt my ipod's feelings laugh.gif But seriously, will hook up to my dad's hi-fi cdp tonight, and burn with the HD590.

N3wTyp3: Thanks for your advice. tongue.gif

av98m: Hmm.. with the new consumer law just passed, there is a 3 day cooling period... (but risking life and limb for a couple of hundred bucks is not cool tongue.gif ) Am now hunting for the other pieces.

Wombat VC: S$650 at Alpha Audio. (I don't want to know if I overpaid wacko.gif )

Does anyone with a CD3000 feel like meeting up to test its compatibility with the X-can v3?

Cheers!

Scriberex

Edited by Scriberex

Here's my take on the situation and strategy that I see fit to attain max musical pleasure from your new V3:

1. Get a cdp quick. Used sets are worth considering too. Garbage in, garbage out and your amp will reveal all the weakness inherent with your ipod.

2. Need not spend too much on interconnects as yet and try out DIY makes first. There's a sticky review on various DIY interconnects. Peruse it and all can be gotten/made by Robert of LHS, 2nd story SLT.

3. Do not tube roll as yet until the upstream (as mentioned above) are taken care off. I prefer Mullards but JJ works well with V1 but less so with V2 according to some opinions). Another option is Ei Yugoslavia. The latter 2 options are cheaper than Mullards but if U have the budget, Mullards are it.

4. I've yet to hear the V3 but various Beyer cans ie DT150/250/880/990 go well with tube amps. DT831/931 sound better with Mullard tubes but may be too bright with the stock Jan Philips 6922 tubes. Some say tubes are weaker in bass relative to solid-state gears but DT150 simply defeats this notion for it's the cans forte. I also like to add Senn HD600 is deemed a heavenly match with V2 but subject to price/performance value and sonic preference.

Edited by Mackie

Wombat VC: S$650 at Alpha Audio. (I don't want to know if I overpaid  wacko.gif )

If you don't mind Scriberex, I will put the price of the V3 in the SG prices sticky. Just to reconfirm it's at SLS, correct?

Thanks for the info. thread has been updated.

Hmm...listened to 2 versions of the X-Cans V3 recently. One was headphonecrazy's heavily modded X_Cans V3 with Silmic, Muse caps and Seimens. The other was a stock unit in my home for about 5 days. I would say the X-Cans were designed with Senn HD-600 in mind and the HD-650. Beyer DT=880 works quite well.

Mullards or other tubes may well bring further sonic benefits but be careful here as one set of tubes maybe just right in one system but not work well in another. I suggest a warmer CDP than Rotel. NAD or Marantz are good choices but bec of top end control I'll suggest the NAD 541i at about S$530. After everthing has burned in (approx 300 hours or so), match it with a pair of headphones.