Sign in to follow this  
lengcm

More HD650 rantings

Hmm...listened to 2 versions of the X-Cans V3 recently. One was headphonecrazy's heavily modded X_Cans V3 with Silmic, Muse caps and Seimens. The other was a stock unit in my home for about 5 days. I would say the X-Cans were designed with Senn HD-600 in mind and the HD-650. Beyer DT=880 works quite well.

Mullards or other tubes may well bring further sonic benefits but be careful here as one set of tubes maybe just right in one system but not work well in another. I suggest a warmer CDP than Rotel. NAD or Marantz are good choices but bec of top end control I'll suggest the NAD 541i at about S$530. After everthing has burned in (approx 300 hours or so), match it with a pair of headphones.

The HD650 is a slightly different flavour from the HD600. headphone.gif

Specifically? So does the equinox cable swaps easily on to the HD650?

Yeah I've read that too but wanted to know for sure. I should really split this thread. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

That's a really bad photo man! OK thread officially split.

leng post more impression of the hd650 against the hd600 if you can.. laugh.giflaugh.gif

I'd like to know whether it's worth upgrading to in the future.

ok i did quite a fair bit of reading at head-fi today and it seems like the clou red cables are a match made in heaven for the phones. Quite a few waxing lyrical about it in this setup.

ok i did quite a fair bit of reading at head-fi today and it seems like the clou red cables are a match made in heaven for the phones. Quite a few waxing lyrical about it in this setup.

Clou Red? can you provide a link to that thread? Can't seem to find it

If you like the Senn HD-600 and Beyer DT-880 you'll probably like the HD-650. Is it worth it? Well, if you're a "Best Buy" kinda guy then go for the HD-580. If not then the HD-650 is certainly one of the contenders. I kie it but it's sound is differnet from the HD-600. It has more weight, losses the top end brightness of the HD-600, has more legato than the 880, and goes deeper than the 600.

My 2¢