Sign in to follow this  
mmatrix

Speakers -> Headphones

Hello, I'm new here.. been observing this forum for quite some time and posted at last.... tongue.gif

My problem. Please guide.. mellow.gif

My mother complaining that I'm blasting my speakers way too loud. Therefore, I would like to sell away my pm2.1 and to buy a new headphone (cans?). I understand that better headphones need an amp to power it, like the hd600. I have a budget of $600-$800. May I know which headphone, amp and a suitable sound card (using m-audio revo7.1) for me? I used it for fps games, music, and viewing of VCDs and DVDs.

Qing dou dou zi jiao... cool.gif

Edited by mmatrix

Could you tell us your music preference and how you like your music? Senn HD-600 can be too laid back for most people.

You can drop by Hung Bros, 3rd floor SLS and try out the HD600, HD650 and the DT880 as these would be in your price range. However, the budget of $600-800, after spending on the cans, you won't have much left for a good amp, unless you are ok with one of the portable ones?

Any preference for open or closed cans?

Open let's you hear what's going on around you, also others can hear what you're listening to, albeit softly.

Closed you have more privacy, but then if a fire breaks out and you can't hear alarm sad2.gif

Open let's you hear what's going on around you, also others can hear what you're listening to, albeit softly.

Grados leak a LOT, they really do. Koss KSC-35 leaks a fair share too, so don't be surprised if your "neighbour" stares at you as if you are hearing impaired. Just smile. happy.gif

Closed you have more privacy, but then if a fire breaks out and you can't hear alarm sad2.gif

ermz, maybe open type? Any sound quality differents?

Open will usually sound better than closed for the same price, but I think some are exception.

If you use it outdoor also, closed is more preferable.

ya ... open type the sound will leak out and it sound more airy

close will be opposit from open ( mostly unless special reasons )

for amp i advise you get a good one and use it all the way cos is a very expensive item

there are two kinds of amps .. Tube and SS (solid state)

but i think SS is better for you ( easy to maintain !)

happy.giflaugh.gif

CHEERS !

better try out before you dunk your money into peoples wallet ! and regrate:lol:

i suggest you attend our SGH meet in a few weeks time. tons of headphones will be there and you can try to your liking. sound is very subjective and you need to try instead of reading about them. see you there!

Grados leak a LOT, they really do. Koss KSC-35 leaks a fair share too, so don't be surprised if your "neighbour" stares at you as if you are hearing impaired. Just smile. happy.gif

I'll be too busy enjoying to bother headphone.gifparty.gifkicking.gif

Open cans headphone.gif

Closed cans beyer.gifgrado.gifsony.gifeggo.gifetys.gif

Sound quality really varies. There are good closed and open cans. You really have to listen to each together with the appropriate amplification to determine which you prefer.

Note that headamps can change the sound dramatically, from ppth.gifmellow.gifbiggrin.gifparty.gif

One possibility is a complete Grado setup, GR60 plus the Grado amp. Even one of the portable amps will work fine - Cmoy, headsave, mint meta, etc... You really have to listen to the actual setup, so attending the meet would help you get there really quick. grouphug.gif

Edited by cmk

Open cans headphone.gif

Closed cans beyer.gifgrado.gifsony.gifeggo.gifetys.gif

Sound quality really varies. There are good closed and open cans. You really have to listen to each together with the appropriate amplification to determine which you prefer.

Note that headamps can change the sound dramatically, from ppth.gifmellow.gifbiggrin.gifparty.gif

One possibility is a complete Grado setup, GR60 plus the Grado amp. Even one of the portable amps will work fine - Cmoy, headsave, mint meta, etc... You really have to listen to the actual setup, so attending the meet would help you get there really quick. grouphug.gif

Thanks, I'll be visiting Music By Design the next week to check the Grados out.. mellow.gif

Slightly how much the ra1 cost?