Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

I love cars man

When diesel burns thoroughly, it can be quite clean too. The new engines don't have those black sooty exhaust anymore. But the problem is when it's not well maintained and it doesn't burn that clean, the built up in the engine and exhaust is quick.

Correct, case in point the new Common Rail Turbo diesel engines like from Peugeots, BMWs etc which have low soot.

But dirty exhausts apply to all types of engines if not well maintianed. Its just that it's more dangerous with petrol engines as you cannot see the pollutants which you breathe in.

Any Toyota Corolla or Ford Mondeo owners here? Especially of present ones. Wanna hear your experiences with these cars.

the last diesel high performance car i knew about was the BMW 330d

wonder if there are any competitors?

i also remember a le mans car running on diesel last year...

car manufacturers, are u listening?

i want a diesel engine that produces max torque from 1000rpm, low fuel consumption, nice engine note, and doesn't rattle smile.gif

Max torque at 1,000rpm might not be such a good idea as you may introduce too much wheel spin while taking off from rest and in heavy traffic conditions high torque at low revs will cause lurching especially in manuals & to a certain extent on autos. 1,500 maybe better which is already achieved in most modern turbo diesels now.

Lets face it there's very few turbo diesels that are not economical. The only one I know is the Alfa's powerful, sporty, growly 5 cylinder TD engine. Common rail Turbo diesels already address some of the issues concerning engine note & rattle. Infact the 2.7L 5 cylinder common rail Turbo diesel engine from Ssangyong Rexton is so smooth you'd be surprised that it is a diesel at all. The BMW 320d & 330d both are still noticably rattly at idle (although they are among the quieter ones out there) but immediately on the move it's as smooth as any petrol. Infact the 6 cylinder engine is reknown for its sporty growl & ablilty to perform as well (if not better in terms of driveability due to the higher torque figures) as the equivalent normally aspirated petrols. I can go on but I think I'm boring everyone...

yawn.gif

Yep, 560nm torque most available from 1500 revs with 272bhp, 0-62mph in 6.5 seconds, imagine in a car that size & weight.

Saw that posted on head-fi, I dunno, it just looks 'wrong' proportionally maybe it's not low, long & wide enough. Given a choice between an NSX & a clone F50 I'd stick with the pukka NSX. I'd just feel 'dirty' in the clone.

Shots taken last sunday. It was raining most of the time so when I went there the turnout was not that great (I wasn't really interested in the ICE stuff). I had a window of opportunity of less than 30mins before it started to get real dark again (RX8 was my last shots so you can see for yourself) & rained soon after I left the venue. Anyway, I did manage to take some decent shots, my fav is the modified Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior which was tricked out to look like a GTA. Kudos to the guys (& gals!) that stayed around for the public to view their cool rides. Enjoy the pics wink.gif

its not boring me...smile.gif

always felt sg should allow diesel cars, instead of fuel cell car experiments where technology is not ripe yet

http://autozine.kyul.net/0_News/Latest/Cur.../News_frame.htm

second story

BMW 535d - superfast diesel !

the inline-6 gets sequential twin-turbochargers

I remember seeing a 730d in the 7-series brochure. cool.gif

IX already? Maybe version X would bring a more radical change as it still looks too samey to me. They Mitsubishi can do a spin off version xXx!