Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Grado SR80

hah? must burn in the headphones? i tot they sounded great already! obviously this is my first pair, so nothing to compare with. i agree that the ear pads is quite uncomfortable, hard and it hurts me ears after a few minutes of wear.

how much are the recommended senn earpads anyway? may consider it, otherwise will probably get ear burn soon!

here's the SR-80 with senn yellow pad mod smile.gif

user posted image

its more comfortable then the original "donuts" the bass is also "enhanced" probably due to the headphones being closer to your ears when used with the new pads

user posted image

i cut out the center with a penknife, using the mounting hole as a guide.

user posted image

but i think it makes the Grado look weird sleep.gif for me personnally, i don't find the original pads that bad cause i use them as portables, that means i listen to them on average about 30-45 mins to and from work.

the original pads hav a more natural sound, the yellow pad mod makes the sr80 sound like my porta pro, making it bass heavy. i still prefer the "donuts" when in portable mode cause they look better biggrin.gif i think more people will stare at me if i use the sr80 with the yellow pads lol.gif

i'll use the yellow pads when listening at home

the yellow Senn pads i bought today at Hung Bros for $15 a pair, only limited stock left, Dougles said they are out of production

Edited by tropicalrips

I think they look cool with the contrasting colours. There's a way to get a smooth round circle for the hole.

tropicalrips, I think they look brilliant with the yellow Senn pads! But I won't fancy using them on public transport since the grados are notorious for leaking a lot, and that is bound to attract more (hostile) stares, or glares rather, than the yellow pads... happy.gif

what are Grado Alessandro series headphones?

most people seems to feel that the MS-1 is the same as or modified SR125 mellow.gif

user posted image

found this pic from somewhere smile.gif i think its call Alessandro PS-1 , looks cool, metal casing, price range similar to RS-1 or RS-2.

anyone got more info?

Absolute0 :

the SR80 with the yellow pads don't look as good when u wear them smile.gif they look really weird unless u hav blond hair lol.gif got to find some way to dye them black

Edited by tropicalrips

Grado PS-1 Pro is not the same with the Alessandro MS-1 / Grado RS-1 /2. It is in a different league altogether in terms of price & sound (supposedly). Presently it is only available in the German market as a PRO headphone http://www.phonophono.de/html/grado_headphones.html - scroll to the bottom.

user posted image

Black with yellow is better than yellow with Mahogany IMO!

Edited by N@Z

Alessandro and Grado are different companies.

however, alessandro USES grado drivers and parts - BUT they modify them slightly before assembling them.

hence, alessandros are ALMOST 'rebadged' grados.

the consensus on head-fi is that they overall (for the entire line) sound thinner and have more detail and less bass. think an etymotic-fied grado i believe.

hope that helped!

so is the PS-1 a Grado or an Alessandro unsure.gif its confusing

the PS-1 is not on the Grado website, but has the Grado name printed on it

Looks like you'll have to read up the threads on Head-Fi where it explains all as we're going a little OT.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/search.php?...tby=&sortorder=

But in a nutshell, it is a Grado but built in limited qualtities for the Pro German market only hence why it is not on the Grado website.

I am guessing here but I don't think Grado will market the Grado PS-1 in the US because Grado makes for Alessandro the MS series for the Pro (Studio) market in the US. Hence they would be competing with their own products. I belive Grado is under some pressure to find a replacemnet for the HP-1 which if you recall were meant for Studio use only. So outside of the US, it's very likely we will see the PS-1 Pro - at least in areas where Alessandro is NOT represented, hopefully I'm trying to find out if this is true or not.

From a marketing prespective this would make sense as it would be avoiding/reducing canibalism. While giving product differenciation to different segments of the market. Makes sense but I don't know if it''s true ;-)

after listening to my SR80, i find it QUITE UNCOMFORTABLE. My ears hurt after listening to it for an hour.

Anyway to improve it without changing the stock earpads??

after listening to my SR80, i find it QUITE UNCOMFORTABLE. My ears hurt after listening to it for an hour.

Anyway to improve it without changing the stock earpads??

sleep.gif i guess more seasoned headphone users hav less problems with these Grado pads

although i don't find the donut pads comfortable, i also don't find them uncomfortable happy.gif

but i do find the donuts easier to listen to then the Senn 414 yellow pads, anyone else feels the same way?

Do note that any mods done to the earpads will change the sound noticeably. Good or bad depending on your taste.