ablaze

Somebody buy something

nah..not brainwashing. I notice it gets very quiet in here when I don't post new topics about some crap I bought or did..everyone here seems to prefer replying (even off-topicly) to topics than starting new topics..donno why rolleyes.gif

my ety 4Ps won't be here anytime soon. but I already made the equalisation circuit for it, to equalise it to a 4S or 4B. I tried it out with my CD3Ks, and it really increases the brightness. lol biggrin.gif

okay okay, I will start by saying that the headphone.gif DT880s headphone.gif are coming home tonight, courtesy of Mackie. Shall give a review when ready ... lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

YES! will look foward to it happy.gif btw, Hung Bros is selling at $450 (maybe can bargain) not $599 as initially reported. they're selling the old stock I think, thats why old price.

hey Oak, one question for you about the equalisation circuit for the 4P->4B, how does a capacitor in the loop cause equalisation? does it mean if I vary the value of the cap, I'll be able to tweak the various frequencies boosted? just curious..so don't get too technical ok wink.gif

btw, the post is here, if you missed it:

found this post by j-curve.

Say you've got the 4P and you're using the 75 ohm resistor mod to emulate the 4S. Here's how you could emulate the 4B as well:-

Instead of a single 75 ohm resistor, use a 22 ohm resistor in series with a 56 ohm resistor (total 78 ohms). Then add a 680nF capacitor across (ie: in parallel with) the 56 ohm resistor. This will boost the top end by about 5dB with a turning point at about 4kHz, bringing you pretty close to the equalisation of the 4B:-

You probably want a switch in series with the capacitor so you can A/B test the modification. A dual-pole of course, one for each channel. In fact if you are really cooking you can use a special double throw switch with three positions, one of which is centre-off, i.e. no connection. By connecting the centre pin to the join between the 56 and 22 ohm resistors, one side to the capacitor and the other side to the other end of the 56 ohm resistor you get three headphones in one:-

Position A: capacitor in circuit, "4B" equalisation

Position B (centre-off): "4S"

Position C: 56 ohm resistor shorted out. This is the 50 ohm "4X" Ety, a compromise between the 4S and 4P.

The circuit should be attached.

user posted image

user posted image

hmm. looks like its safer to purchase a 4P and DIY from there, to get the 4B.

The combination of the 56 ohms resistor and 22 ohms resistors in series (side by side) will give you an effective 78 ohms resistance. This causes your 4P curve to drop down to the same level as the 4S curve.

As you notice between 1kHz and 10kHz of the 4B curve, there's a hump in the frequency response curve which the 4P doesn't possess. To emulate that, a high pass filter is included to boost/increase the power at around the 4kHz region, forming a similar hump as the 4B.

Changing the capacitor values will affect the turning point of your boost/hump.

hey oak..

dt880 is a nice can.

I tried it.. very balanced and pretty neutral sound..

I was at mackie's house just now laugh.gif:D

so how do you like your dt880? laugh.gif

Mackie just left my place 15 mins ago and I must thanks him for bringing the DT880s over.

Do not want to go too long into reviewing it or whatsoever, I only got one comment:

Wa Lau !!! Si Bei (Very) SOLID leh !!!

Guyferd,

Have you fixed up the Marantz 6000OSE LE? Like it? Get ready to build your collection but don't rush, it will cause unncessary expenditure.

Need to burn-in the cans longer before I give the final verdict but just one thing I noticed:

I've often used the Huang Hong Ying XRCD2 K2 as a reference and at the start, there's this gu zhen playing. When I used the D66SL and the K501, the guzhen has always sounded sharp and unnatural, with the DT880, the gu zhen's sound has a very strong sense of realism.

If you guys want to hear the difference, I dun mind if you come over...

By the way guys, I should have gotten a vidcam to record the expressions and exhuberance of Guyferd when I exposed him to the DT880, speakers setup and analogue sound of LPs. He had no idea how the latter sounds like until last night. I reckon he will grow up to be a hardcore XxX audiophile. happy.gif

Yes, it will be interesting to read about the improvements yielded after forumers have gotten new gears or tweaks..... at least they are based on real life experiences and not merely articles on magazines.

We await your comments Oak and Guyferd cos' U chaps have come a long way from pcdp and cd-rom drive respectively.