ablaze

Somebody buy something

hahhaa. n oak.. not many women are into hi fis.. no there isn't really a point in trying to convince them w00t.gif

Yeah but there's one thing to note: Although you are spending your own money on these purchases, you need to justify them , else it creates new sources of conflicts.

WAF, I like that! I can't even get my wife to sit down & listen to anything properly let alone convince her of my purchases. I've just relegated to myself by buying whatever it is I want & hope for the best!

naz, I see that you have both rs-1 and hd600.. how would you compare them. I've heard both.. but I think rs-1 is totally in different league.. coloured but very very musical and nice.Gives a greater sense of realism than any headphones that I've heard

A simplified comparison (gear used as in my signature below - tube amp)

RS-1: Forward & upfront presentation. Acoustic resonances sound quite pleasant but I'm not sure whether it is meant to be like that in the original recording. Musical is a good word to describe them as I tend not to think about anyalysing high, mids & bass when listening to them.

HD600: Presentation is laid back compared directly to the Grados. Airy & open sound. Highs are smooth & sweet. Bass has a good weight but that's probably because of the advantage with cables & the OTL output.

There's probably more but this is all I can recall from the top of my head right now. After living with them for a while, I seem to prefer the Senns more than the grado. Quite possibly being so used to the Ety's I find the coloured sound not to my liking. Although that may change should I move up the ladder with source or amp. Please note that roles are reversed when I use the Meta last time i.e. I prefer the RS-1 as opposed to the HD600 but I have not listened to them on the Meta for a while now. I think the main reason was overkill on the bass due to the combination of the Meta's bass & the upgrade cables. But you might like that sort of thing Guy! biggrin.gif

Hi N@Z,

Could you please provide more details on your Monster Meta42 vis-a-vis normal Meta42 ? How much did it cost ? Understand from your experience, it has a better fit for RS-1 compared with HD600. How would Meta42 compared with Grado's RA-1 headamp in terms system matching ? I am currently doing trial between RA-1 and Corda's HA-1 on RS-2, so maybe Meta42 is the next option to consider.... wink.gif

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a normal Meta since there are so many configurations out there but the general puropse one is assumed as a protable version running a single 9v battery. Most common/popular op-amp AD8620 & EL2001 buffers. The Monster Meta is pretty much the same since I configured still it with portablity in mind. Max input voltage supply is 27v it can run quite happily at 12v though. My transformer output measures 18v so that's equivalent to 2x 9v batteries. I have a setting for 24v but it measures over 30v so I don't use it unless I want to fry the op-amp! Other than some revisions to the resistors & capacitors the other major change was the multiple EL2002 buffers (4 per channel). I could have used an equivalent single EL2008/channel but it would have ran hotter & drained the battery faster. See the attached photo.

Cost wise it should run close to US$300 but I didn't do it in one go. I had it as a relatively modest version then upgraded from there. I forgot to mention there is a Neutrick socket, alps blue volume pot, blue led light, teflon coated RCA sockets (not cardas) & rocker switch.

Compared with the Grado RA-1 (I listened to it briefly) the Monster is brighter giving an impression of more detail and more forward presentation. Depending on your preferences pairing with a Grado might be overkill as I've found on some CDs. The HD600 sounds more balanced in this case. Oddly enough, with the etys bass was marginally improved compared with the general purpose Meta and suited the RS-1 better than the HD600. Which one is better depends on your preference. I wouldn't spend too much on a Meta as this is borderline already any more brings you into the Corda/Gilmore territory which in theory should be better but I can't say for sure till I compared them back to back.

Monster_META_components_detail.jpg

thanks N@Z. I am waiting for Firefox's reply on his Meta42, see if it could be upgraded to 18V with better capacitors, resistors and EL2002 buffers before my audition. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for sharing your helpful info. wink.gif

Nice work there N@Z. Did you upgrade it yourself? Even bothered to twist the power and ground signals. ELNA Starget capacitors there? Is it good? Think of swapping those in my X-Cans with the Stargets.

Anyone knows where to get ELNA Cerafine or ELNA Starget, excluding Cut-throat Frankie and Unreliable RS?

I wish I am capable of such work. They were done by KurtW on Head-fi.

Think of swapping those in my X-Cans with the Stargets.

Anyone knows where to get ELNA Cerafine or ELNA Starget, excluding Cut-throat Frankie and Unreliable RS?

Me too look for it beside those ELNA's does anyone know where have Sanyo Oscon cap? unsure.gif

For DIY parts, maybe you want to contact Mr Yeo :

YEO - DIYer

rolleyes.gifwink.gif