ablaze

Somebody buy something

hehe. sounds good, 'cept I live in Jurong. rolleyes.gif anyway, keep the impressions coming yes.gif

ablaze: Jurong is not too far wor. Oak lives in the Marseiling area and I'm at CCK Crescent........Marseiling and Yew Tee MRTs. Birds of a feather, flock together!

ah.. mackie.. ssh... dun tell them about my expression..

I am extremely shy blush.gif

lol!!!

Yeah... I have never heard LP.. but it sounds really darn good. Very natural even at high volume.. unrestrained.. unlike cds.Simply ear piercing at high volume and quite shrill.

XXx hardcore audiophile? yeap!! Hope so smile.gif

but of coz I need to earn and save up too... lol.. it will be a very long way before I can get a good setup yawn.gif

mackie: yeah one day perhaps..now a bit tied up..

hey, what was guyferd so exuberant about: the cans, the speakers, or the LPs? biggrin.gif

rameish or mackie, need your opinion.

Do you think I should go all out and get 60 dollars plus japan mastered cd .. I listen to alot of j-pop. Compared to let's say it's 20 bux taiwan/hongkong produced cds?

Darn.. japan is v bad.. protect their market until like that.. the cds that cost 20 now becomes 60+./.. more than 3 times... dry.gif

Is the $60 because of the mastering? I don't know the quality of j-pop recordings other than watching it in passing on TV3 but the Japanese do tend to take some things to the extreme. Plus there is also alot of 18~24 bit remastered CDs from Japan but seldom do they go more than $50 from HMV.

Mackie,

Turn Guy into a vinyl junkie please.

Rameish, let nature take its course and from the current looks of it, Guy willl no doubt be a vinyl junkie and all else in the hifi chain. I can already forsee his hobby running into conflict with his future girlfriend and wife! lol.gif

rameish or mackie, need your opinion.

Do you think I should go all out and get 60 dollars plus japan mastered cd .. I listen to alot of j-pop. Compared to let's say it's 20 bux taiwan/hongkong produced cds?

Darn.. japan is v bad.. protect their market until like that.. the cds that cost 20 now becomes 60+./.. more  than 3 times...  dry.gif

Guyferd:

U've approached the right person as I got into J-pop since 20 years ago. U can be rest assured of the Taiwan/HK press of Japanese cds as their quality don't deviate much from that of Japan. Premium prices of the latter are due to high yen and shipping cost and I go for the outside-Japan press for better value for money.

However, be wary of some of the Taiwanese presses as they may carry labels which are not known in the recording industry etc Ho Sun. These are boot-legs (pirated) and sold in HK for S$5 each. Authorised distributors of original J-pop in HK/Taiwan are well-known companies such as Avex Trax, EMI, etc. The same is true of K-pop.

In S'pore, even reputable cd shops sell boot-legs at the same price to that of authorised distributors.

Edited by Mackie

ooh! great to hear that..

I've compared the hk japan cds and japan original. The difference is abt 5 percent increase. I think it won't make a day and night difference, just a very subtle difference. Having said that, I can safely buy the hk/taiwan press jpop cds laugh.gif:D

Mackie,

Turn Guy into a vinyl junkie please.

Rameish, let nature take its course and from the current looks of it, Guy willl no doubt be a vinyl junkie and all else in the hifi chain. I can already forsee his hobby running into conflict with his future girlfriend and wife! lol.gif

If she really loves you she will take an interest in your 'hobby', unless you really don't want her to or it is YOUR escape! Hehehe! laugh.gif

Millions and one time had I tried turning my wife into a newbie audiophile but I think I failed miserably. This is her most famous quote: "Music Come Cheap => Good, Music Come Expensive => NO difference."

i saw some of you have mentioned about the WAF (ie. wife acceptance factor, a term that was quite well understood in the Adephi circle). This is an important consideration esp on urgly speakers and long dark cables lying around and she takes control of the home ministry. I think one way to soften the crash is to invite her to compare the sound from two system setups (A/B comparison, before/after installation test) or different disc formats (XRCD vs HDCD versions)...all playing her favourite songs. Womem generally are more sensitive to high frequency pitches and tones and they could tell you the differences. So please ask them for opinions and harmonise the conversation. Soon, she will ask you to play them at bedtime.......and you know you have already achieved more than three quarters of success wink.gif