Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Living With The AKG K-1000

First of all I would like to thank the sgheadphones member (whose name I will not disclose now) who has lent me his AKG K-1000 for more than 10 days now.

Next I would like to inform Cayin/Spark HA-1A owners (the last 2 revisions) that the headphone out indeed accomodates for both Ultralinear and Tiode mode (this was very clearly seen (or should I say heard) with the AKG K-1000 earspeakers.

So how does the AKG K-1000 sound? Well it's still running in and the sound is improving, details are extremely good, the decay is getting better each day and I can notice a slight but noticeable difference in decay between the time I got them and a weeks later.

So you see dear fellow sgheadphoners I have been busy naughty.gif

Over the next week I hope to put in more than 30 -50 hours or so with the AKG (that would bring the number of hours in use to the 150 hour mark. Hopefully the AKG will stop changing its sound by then.

Here's a picture of a fellow sgheadphone inmate who is enjoying the AKG K-1000 earspeaker.

K_1000.jpg

Edited by Rameish

can they really be counted as headphones... or more like ear-speakers?

They look wonderful... what would u compare it to? To give us some idea of what kind of refinement that you are talking about over say perhaps the hd-600/650?

I've heard many good things about the AKG K1000 ..

can't wait for the full review! tongue.giflol.gif

All I will say at this stage is this:

1) It makes open headphones sound like closed headphones when you compare it to say either the Senn HD-600/650, Beyer DT-931, DT-880.

2) It's was bright sounding when I got it but it's becoming mellower - the details are all there but the brightness is less now it's changing everyday or at least every two to three days.

3) It's still a little bass shy but when you toe the earspeakers in there more bass but reduced spaciousness. The bass is also improving as the days go by.

I really wish to burn it in more (I'm using nornal music for this so it takes a little longer). I suspect it may even need up to 300 hours or more to reach it's final sound.

Is there such thing as neutrality? Well if there is this seems as close as it gets. It's still a little bright but my main issue (not compaint) is while the seperation is very good to excellent it still sounds a tad stiff - in musical terms it's style of playing is more staccato.

It's got the P and T of PRaT - Pace and Timing, I'm just waiting for the Rythem to lossen up :-)

Right now I've been running it in since moring - 6 hours straight. Hopefully by evening it chalk up another 12 hours (ya my evening starts quite late) LOL

Cheers guys and have a great weekend

Good luck with the burning in!

Sounds like we have a potential winner here people... =]

It's not as simple as that, this is one of those cases where system synergy & individual preferences dictate the final outcome. Would be interesting to see (hear) if the brightness stabilizes after a long burn in.

Rameish, what headphones would you compare the bright sound to at the moment?

N@Z,

Difficult to say as I wasn't paying attention to the brightness anymore biggrin.gif Partly because it's reduced and partly because I am focusing on the whole spectrum rather than one particular aspect right now. Anyways, even my "brightest" can - the DT-931 - is not too bright with the Corda HA-1.

When/if I have the time is the cop out answer...I guess.

Listening to the Beyer DT-931 right now and it's a less detailed when compared to the K-1000. But it has a fullness that is a bit lacking in the AKG. Hmm...

Well we'll let the AKG settle down - I honestly dont know when that will be - an my time with the AKG is coming to an end.

I guess the best indicator would be after the AKG has left my home do I still miss it? If I do then I'll get one for myself, otherwise I wait for the Stax, or just be happy with my Corda HA-1 and Beyer DT-931.

The Spark HA-1A is better suited for the AKG but I managed to drive the earspeaker out of my little Corda!! Not very loud but at 12 o'clock position it was loud enough - FOR ME!

Oh the headphone out on the Spark/Cayin does operate in both Ultralinear and Triode mode. I think I prefer the Ultralinear mode for the AKG and Triode mode for the 931 (go figure). Maybe it's just a power thing - ie the AKG prefers the 2 watts out of the UL mode.

In UL mode the vol pot never excedeed 11 o'clock (12 o'clock in triode mode) for the K-1000.

My one fear about the the K-1000 is the rez level may become fatiguing but so far

it has not been the case.

A very nice hp for S$1.15 K.

The AKG K1000 does justify its price of $1.1.5K. I do agree with Rameish that the K1000 does lack in the bottom end. However it can be easily forgiven with its airy and neutral presentation (IMHO). Could purchase the K1000 in the near future as a replacement for my DT931. Meanwhile, I am very satisfied with my HD600/650 with my new amp headphone.gif

Am using the XLO burining disc all day today. Have removed the cover of the Spark HA-1A to keep it cool. Anyways am busy doing work this weekend and tomorrow so I'll just let the headphone (sorry earspeaker biggrin.gif run in).

Hopefully by tuesday morning things would be better - maybe more bass even!

The AKG K1000 does justify its price of $1.1.5K. I do agree with Rameish that the K1000 does lack in the bottom end. However it can be easily forgiven with its airy and neutral presentation (IMHO). Could purchase the K1000 in the near future as a replacement for my DT931. Meanwhile, I am very satisfied with my HD600/650 with my new amp headphone.gif

Did I hear "new amp"? laugh.gif

The Spark HA-1A is better suited for the AKG but I managed to drive the earspeaker out of my little Corda!! Not very loud but at 12 o'clock position it was loud enough - FOR ME!

So I was correct... Hehe.. Although most other persons won't be able to get enough volume out of a low voltage gain amp for the K1000's.

So I was correct... Hehe.. Although most other persons won't be able to get enough volume out of a low voltage gain amp for the K1000's.

True I agree. Some people do use their earphones as earspeakers! headphone.gif

Edited by lengcm

Yup and thanks for the tip - I would never have thought the little amp could do so much.

Once again thanks.; headphone.gif