Sign in to follow this  
david watt

Auditioning of Grados is a big yes!

well, MBD not allowing auditions arn`t something new. the willingness to open a display set isn`t the issue. the idea of a display set is that its for display and not for sale isn`t it?

i got pushed over in the same way at Audio Note and was told that MBD was doing so and thus AN can do such things... well, life sucks especially when you can`t throw $50 at him to keep his mouth shut. in my case it wasn`t a "no we do not have a display set", it was a "MBD doesn`t offer auditions so why should we", when it was all setup behind him.

doesn`t this attitude suck?

OK. In this case, since it seems that it is VERY unlikely that i can get to test any headphone at all here, then i will have to base SOLELY on the opinions and reviews here and out there on the net.

Seems like for the moment, i will consider these:

1)HP890 (if is still available?)

2)Grados 60/80 (the "american-sound" seems intriguing, so far have only experienced the British-sound: AE speakers) cool.gif

3)Senn PX200 ( which is good in that i can bring it outside-seems slim enough)

Anyone out there:

How do these compare? or should i just get anyone of them?

Musical tastes are those of instrumental and vocal jazz, classical, oldies and the stuff on the radio.

David

Is portability an important concern?

Is comfort an important concern?

Do you listen in an isolated environment? or in crowded places where external noises affect your listening?

Are you very critical about sound quality reproduction?

These questions will help to give an indication of the type of headphone you are looking for.

OK. In this case, since it seems that it is VERY unlikely that i can get to test any headphone at all here, then i will have to base SOLELY on the opinions and reviews here and out there on the net.

2)Grados 60/80 (the "american-sound" seems intriguing, so far have only experienced the British-sound: AE speakers) cool.gif

Anyone out there:

Musical tastes are those of instrumental and vocal jazz, classical, oldies and the stuff on the radio.

Maybe Hung Bros can let you audition? I've auditioned Senn HD650 and HD600 there before, dunno about the cheaper cans though.

Something is not adding up here. Hung Brothers has never let me audition anything, sennheisers included, while the MBD guys have always been very obliging.

Something is not adding up here. Hung Brothers has never let me audition anything, sennheisers included, while the MBD guys have always been very obliging.

Yup I agree, I have auditioned their Cary amps and not to mention their Burmester CDP as well.

Anyone out there:

FWIW, SR80 is the only Grado cans amongst numerous Beyer cans that I own - a testament of its good sound quality. This Grado gives me a dose of magic different from the Beyers.

However, it might not be suitable for the genre of music U favour, Dave. I reiterate an audition is necessary before commiting in a purchase. HP890 is good for the money too. SR80 is not suitable for outdoors owing to its open design.

Actually, am going mainly for the sound quality. That's precisely the reason i am going for these "audiophile" range of headphones.

Portability is not necessary. Most likely i will be using the 'phones at home. Don't like the idea of crossing a road and being oblivious to the surroundings! wink.gif

Comfort, i feel, is rather subjective. That what's AUDITIONING is for, but......

In short, sound quality is on the top of my list of criteria.

David, there are a number of cans on offer in the classifieds at the moment. My pick if your budget can stretch is the Beyer 880, but this requires an amp. There also is an SR80 on sale now.

go MDB have an aud headphone.gif

Hi nakedtoes,

Perhaps you might like to think and read before you post, after all the very topic describes MBD NOT ALLOWING AUDITIONS.

C h r i s

Lame-posts-busting since 2004

Edited by fishball79

That's absurd. Not allowing demos because the headphone sells well. What if a pair of speakers sell well, would that mean one shouldn't be allowed to hear what they sound like before coughing money for it? Especially so when you are talking about expensive phones.

See my edit on the first post of this thread for details.

The owner of MBD said to me today: If people can't audition then how are they to know what it sounds like?

Anyways he'll check with his new salesman if indeed this has occured. If it has, the new salesman will be told in no uncertain terms that it has always been, and will continue to be the practice at MBD to allow demos.