Sign in to follow this  
david watt

Auditioning of Grados is a big yes!

went down to MBD today hoping to test out the SR60 n SR80 to hear whether the difference is worth the extra 50 and also to get a feel of the "grado" sound to see whether is to my liking.

However the owner said that Grados "sell by themselves" n no testing of these entry types. But he is rather nice n proceeded to describe the difference to me.

Did not buy any as i wanted to know the opinions of fellow forumers here first:

I intend to use them for watching tv, out of pcdp, computer etc...um-amped.

1) what is the Grado sound like?

Currently i have a Panasonic portable-type of headphone and they are really too bright especially after getting used to the sound of Acoustic-Energy speakers.

Grados also as bright? Instrument separation? transient in the bass area?

(Are the above too much to ask for in a sub-200 headphones?)

2) Difference in 60s and 80s worth the extra 50 which will allow me to buy more music?

Thanks in advance! headphone.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Mod Edit (6 May 2004):

David,

I have just spoken to the owner of Music By Design - and he is as surprised as I was to find out about this rumour. He said he will check with his new salesman if anyone was indeed told that there is no testing allowed by the new salesman.

For the record - auditioning of all Grado headphones models have always been and will continue to be allowed so long as there's a demo model available (currently they do not have stocks of the SR-80). Our PowerBuy kinda depleted their stocks.

Please note if you do not make an appointment and go down and there happens to be another customer auditioning then of course the customer who came first will be given priority.

I have known the owner and various salesmen at MDB for several years and in all that time I have seen for myself the level of service at MBD - it has always been immaculate. Call them at 63343981 to check for demo model availability

Update at 3:25pm

The owner of MBD has called me back and yes it's true that the new salesman was unsure oabout company policy and did indeed turn down 2 to 3 requests for demos on Grados as he didn't see any demo units of grado SR-60 or SR-80 lying around (they were sold). The new salesman did not want to open a new SR-60 set as the owner wasn't around at that time and there was not SR-80 in stock - even the demo unit was sold. The salesman has already been briefied about MBD's policy on demos.

The owner has also asked me (since he is not a member of this forum) to extend his apologies for the mix-up as it was his responsibility to inform new staff on such matters.

In short - you can demo all you want and there will be no sales talk while you audition as well LOL. I kid you not, they practically leave you alone to listen - too much in fact as sometimes you need to ask a question ;-)

It's good to know that my impression of MBD need not change.

Happy Auditioning Guys!

Edited by Rameish

went down to MBD today hoping to test out the SR60 n SR80 to hear whether the difference is worth the extra 50 and also to get a feel of the "grado" sound to see whether is to my liking.

However the owner said that Grados "sell by themselves" n no testing of these entry types. But he is rather nice n proceeded to describe the difference to me.

Did not buy any as i wanted to know the opinions of fellow forumers here first:

I intend to use them for watching tv, out of pcdp, computer etc...um-amped.

1) what is the Grado sound like?

Currently i have a Panasonic portable-type of headphone and they are really too bright especially after getting used to the sound of Acoustic-Energy speakers.

Grados also as bright? Instrument separation? transient in the bass area?

(Are the above too much to ask for in a sub-200 headphones?)

2) Difference in 60s and 80s worth the extra 50 which will allow me to buy more music?

Thanks in advance! headphone.gif

I am surprised that there's no testing allowed as I know they allowed testing of all models for several years. I check for ya.

Do a search as I've done a mini review between the two before.

I would think that its not so much of a difference between the two but how much more the sr80's can benefit from a better source or better amp. From my experience, the differences between the two, unamped, are slight to the casual listener and almost nil if you are using it on the go.

I will not mince words, I was looking to get the SR325 from MBD. Called them and got quoted S$520 which works out to US$305 @1.7. This is already higher than the list price quoted in the US(US$295), which are usually discounted and have return policies if you are not happy with your purchase, no questions asked. In fact there are many, I repeat MANY, mail order shops there which sell it shipped for US$265.

Why in the world should I patronise MBD? Is it because they are the sole distributor for Grado here? Their service is excellent? They offer the same return policy that they have in the US?

Right now I in the mind to order the item straight from the US and have it sent to a friend who's returning to SG.

Seems like their demo set has been bought by some UK guy and they are not willing to open another new set for demos.

woah!

Juz to clarify wif all...my purpose is simply to state that i could not get to audition the Grados and juz wanted some opinions from Grado users here...since Grado is that reknown.

Anyway any other recommendations other than the Grado brand?

Would be using it as an multi-purpose 'phone. Definitely would also like it to sound good wif music from my pcdp and headphone out of int amp and cd player, that is why am paying the price premium.

Listen to oldies, evergreens, music on the radio, jazz, classical etc...

Budget<$200.

Lower the better 'cos can buy more music!

If that's the case, get the Senn PX200 only $90. or checkout one of the AT cans from Retrospective, much more friendly and you can try on the spot.

If you don't mind huge headphones, the Philips 890 is a nice pair of headphones at $80+. The cable may also be upgraded at a later time.

Retrospective is on the 2nd floor of adelphi.

The PX200 is a warm sounding can with a rolled off high, so its not bright. Mids and bass are pretty good.

Grado has its own signature sound, which is typically fast, lean which gives a sense of detail. As you go up the line, the sound gets more refined and detailed, and also more expensive.

grados are normally more suited for rock

as for auditioning, i was able to test SR60 and SR80 when i bought mine, they were friendly, not pushy [about 1-2 years ago]

not sure what caused the change of policy...

Just to share my personal encounter.

I tested the sr60 and sr80 at MBD abt 1+yr ago. the sr60 was a demo set while they opened an new sr80 for me to test upon my request. I tested them with my iriver250 without amp. rock n pop muzic were very lively, fast and punchy, the so-called "American sound" happy.gif

i felt that the sr60 sounds was better than sr80 but the sr80 is slightly more comfortable with the donut pad than the foam pad of sr60. But my ears were very uncomfortable after wearing them about half an hour.

The saleman explained to me that the sr80 wasn't run-in, thus the sr60 may sounds better than the sr80. At that time, i didn't know what's is "run-in" biggrin.gif . I spent abt half hr there and I didn't buy either of them.

Now, I don't know.

This is very strange indeed. I got to audition both sr60s and sr80s last year at MBD and bought my sr80s there.

Fast forward to this year, about a couple of months ago, I wanted to try out the sr225s and the guys at MBD were happy to oblige, even offering to let me to try out the rs1s through the Cary, even though I did say that there was no way I could afford the rs-1s at that point in time.

I've always gotten excellent service from them, has there been a change of policy since then?

now is no more auditioning.

When I went there last week with the intention to try out the RS-1 the salesman said the grado is now on cash-carry term only. He explained that they were sold so well that there is no longer a need for demo sets.

However, last year when I went there they still allowed auditioning.. even for the high end RS-1.. which I remembered listening out of their burmester cdp and some big tube amp tongue.gif

It's sad indeed because some people really have no idea how these phones sound, and as we know, we cannot rely heavily on reviews. One should audition and buy it if it is to his/her liking.

to answer your question:

I feel that the sr-80 is worth the $50 over the sr-60. The sound is definitely better even out of a humble portable cd player wink.gif

And yes grados like what everyone has said, are energetic, with fast and punchy bass(well suited to music like pop and rock) and exciting presentation(keeps your toe tapping)