CAVEMaN

I Am New

Hey all, I was recommended to this forums so as to get an idea of which headphone to buy.

I've always use Sony but i find that the Bass is too strong.

My budget is about $200

rolleyes.gif

Sony MDR-NC5,

Actually I thought of getting 1 for home and 1 for outside use.

Actually, I have this friend who told me about this headphone that is made for DVD sound usage.Very impressive sound but it's very expensive I heard.

You have any idea?

I gave up on my Sony

wacko.gif

Welcome CAVEMaN.

Do you know whether your friend meant that it had a seperate outboard sound processor or just headphones alone? There are quite a few I think from AKG, Sennheiser, Sony & Ultrasone are the ones I can recall.

Outdoor cans that don't look weird, not too much bass, cheap => Sony Eggos D66SL

If you don't intend to use a portable amp, then it would be best to get one that's low impedance <'s easy for your portable player to drive thru the cans output.

Welcome to SGheadphones

My personal recommendation besides what oak has mentioned, is koss ksc-55 . I know most youngsters(myself included laugh.gif) like neckband headphone. I've recently recommended 2 guys in other forums.. they said it is fantastic. The price is 49 dollars from hung bros, sim lim sq kicking.gif

I just contacted my buddy in Australia, seems that he got himself a "Ulrasone HFI-650 DVD Edition", you guys heard of that? It's about AUS$270

Northern Oak - Yes, I heard and and seems Koss, is it the one at Borders?

I think koss is available at borders too.. but you must look for that model specifically. Others are known to sound so-so to ok at best. Koss ksc-50/55/porta pro and sporta pros are the ones you should look out for from koss biggrin.gif

Caveman.. ultrasone is quite highly regarded. It's said to be competing closely to beyer dt250-80. I've heard the beyer, but not the ultrasone. Having said that, I can assure you, if it's in the same league as dt250-80, you won't go wrong.

I just contacted my buddy in Australia, seems that he got himself a "Ulrasone HFI-650 DVD Edition", you guys heard of that? It's about AUS$270

Northern Oak - Yes, I heard and and seen Koss, is it the one at Borders?

Hung Brothers at Sim Lim Square 3rd floor do carry a variety of Koss headphones. Pity they wouldn't like you audition them. For the Ultrasone, check out with our fellow member El-Scorcho, he's the dealer for Ultrasone cans.

Edited by Northern Oak

yeap.. that's why for koss, you need to rely solely on review. But since it's so cheap.. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for starter cans. As it is, sipher from hwz forum has told me that he likes the ksc-55 very much. He said it's even better than the sony gd-72(or is it 73) , the supposedly top of the line sony neckband streetstyle.

lol.. and the irony is that ksc-55 only costs 49 bux.. while the sony costs 70 plus.

beer.gif

CAVEMaN, I guess the wisest thing to do here is to really audition some cans and not solely based on what we say.

I guess the regulars here do own quite a wide variety of cans and for me personally, I got no problems if you wanna come down to my place for an audition. At least, we present a larger number of choices and our cans are pretty burn-in'ed as well.

I have the Sony D66SL Eggos, the AKG K501, the Beyerdynamics DT880 with me. welcome.gif

Edited by Northern Oak

uh.. oak, do you welcome me to come down to try your cd17mkiii wub.gifwub.gif

hammer.gifhammer.gif lol..

That was my alter ego btw blush.gif