Sign in to follow this  
decibel

Need headphones recommendation for my ipod

Hi guys im getting my ipod soon and have decided to get a pair of earphones to replace the stock ones which i've heard sound bad, namely to the sony 71s or light headphones, namely the px100. Just wondering which of the 2 sounds better? If i'm not wrong they're priced rather similar, ard $70-$80? I listen to predominantly electronica. My budget is less than $100, are there other headphones i shld consider as well?

Any advise appreciated, cheers!

happy.gif

Px -100 for electronica. Yes yes. U can afford it too. w00t.gif

I personally didn't like the PX100. The PX200 goes for slightly higher but still within your budget. Besides it has some isolation which is better for portable situations where it is not as quiet as home. Both the sennheisers PX100 and 200's sound are very dependant on placement, so do not be discouraged if you find the sound still muddy even after burn in. Try changing the placement of the headphones. Usually the best position is slightly behind and lower of the normal placement. Do try out and follow what your ears say. YMMV.

Assuming you don't mind open headphones & you're not fussy about looks then there's the Koss KSC-50, 55, SportaPro or PortaPros.

Thanks for the replies guys, so far i notice all of you have recommended headphones instead of the the sony in-ear ones. Any particular reason?

Realized the ksc-50 is rather cheap compared to the px100 and the sony 71s. How does it stack up against them?

Edited by decibel

... so far i notice all of you have recommended headphones instead of the the sony in-ear ones. Any particular reason?

Realized the ksc-50 is rather cheap compared to the px100 and the sony 71s. How does it stack up against them?

Concerning the Sonys, I've only tried the MDR-E888. For the equivalent price, there are cheaper alternatives & others which perform better sonically at the same price point.

I've only experienced the KSC50 & PX200 in isolation (i.e. not together at the same time) Personally I prefer the slightly more balanced sound of the KSC50. I found the PX200 a little darker sounding plus I had issues with the placement of the drivers on my ears, it won't stay on my 'sweet spot' (outside of that 'spot' bass becomes lean). This is under unamped conditions. Bare in mind though that the Koss may be uncomfortable for some. However, I feel both perform better than the E888 overall.

I agree... either the Koss KSc-35 or 50 and even the neckband style(but same driver) ksc-55 will outperform e888. not to mention they're somewhat cheaper. The sony might have a 'slight' advantage in terms of detail but in terms of tonal balance, bass kicks , etc the koss is better. The only reason why you should opt for the sony in any case is coz u need to be low profile(like me blush.gif , hence I chose the 888 over koss).

FYI, I find ksc-35 to be superior to the px200 too.. dunno about the px100though. haven't tried those.

Edited by Blues

Thanks guys, i guess now its up to me to check out the headphones myself and decide which i want... I actually prefer earphones as like blues mentioned, cuz its more low profile, but all this talk about the px100/200 which i feel are a pretty neat looking pair of cans, makes me feel like just checking it out also... And now i hear the koss 50s are good as well, so guess i'll have to see if i find them comfortable and if they look ok on my big ears rolleyes.gif

Im prolly going down to hung bros, any idea if they allow auditioning of the headphones mentioned above?

Hey guys any comment on the Sharp MD33s? $64 from bluetin

Edited by decibel

agree, u might want to check out the panasonic. I find it comparable to the sony nudex, but at about 20 bucks cheaper (about $54)

cheers. biggrin.gif

Ok really confused now

Should i get the md33s, which i read are much better sounding than the 71s (con: warranty issue as its imported and 4 pole connecter issue) the pana ones, which are comparable to the 71s but cheaper (pro: cheap con: performance not really known), or the 71s themselves (pro: come in white, con: most ex)? Anyone know how bad the microphonics are on the panasonic set, the sharps i know are slighlty worse than the sonys in this area.

Edited by decibel

if you want minimal microphonics effect you could go for the ety er-4p, but then that would be out of your price reach.

do you think teamdigital.net would allow you to audition???

the 4 pole connector issue is solved when you use the extension cable, but be careful not to damage the cable as you cannot repair it if you stuff it over

Edited by seiko_citizen

Specs wise Panasonic does look quite good and set to kick the 71's a*s (is this word in its full form allowed? laugh.gif)

I have the 71s. When the placement of the buds in the ear are good/perfect, I loved the bass response. Very nice. I mean, deep and well controlled, not flabby at all. This is probably because the drivers are very small in the first place. But I have problems getting the buds to stay in the ear. And once they are out of position, the sound is out of the window.

Sound isolation is fantastic too. But of course, it works for you as well as against you. You can't hear anything else other than the music.

Personally, I will go for the PXs due to convenience of not having to fiddle around with pushing the ear buds into my ear and trying to keep them there. But apparently the PXs also dependent on placement.