Sign in to follow this  
mychew

PCDP, CDP or Cans upgrade?

av98m: wah seh...tank pcdp sia...really bulky and strongbuilt tongue.gif

Northen Oak: Panasonic's RP-HJE50 is still selling outside?do u recommend a mp3 player?

Mackie, Rameish: I'm thinking of getting either a pcdp or mp3 player, since i travel quite a lot then sound quality doesnt matter that much?so how r ur opinions and suggestions?

drooling, but need to waiit until i get my pay then just can make a purchase man unsure.gif

I'm also interested to noe how to mod the EX70 smile.gif

As for Panasonic's RP-HJE50, there is a person in yahoo auctions selling them brand new at S$53. he sell only brand new stuff frm iriver to sony EX71s and they r priced cheaper den outside. afew of my frens have bought frm him and were very satisfied.

i dunno if i am allowed to post links of other sites here as i'm still new to this forum, those whu r interested can eally wanna noe can msg me den i'll give u the link to all his auctions smile.gif

Mackie, Rameish: I'm thinking of getting either a pcdp or mp3 player, since i travel quite a lot then sound quality doesnt matter that much?so how r ur opinions and suggestions?

My experience with a Jazpiper and pcdp derives a conclusion, prefer the latter for conveniene and sound despite the extra weight.

Edited by Mackie

can anyone teach me how to mod my EX71 thanks alot.. party.gif

The mod on EX70 comprises of removing the paper cover with pin hole and replace with foam. Cut to width and size sparingly; just enough to fill the circumference of the driver cylinder.

In addition, U'll notice there are 3 pin ports on the silver caps. U can either fill all of these with Elmer's Glue-all (brand carries cow head) or one by one for I find there are subtle differences. Filling all of which minimizes bass volume.

With my Pannie SL-CT790 pcdp, I use one pair of EX70 with smallest buds and none of the pin ports filled. The other pair with larger buds and with 2 pin ports filled. There are subtle differences and have fun experimenting.

However, I'm not sure if the same job or effects can be done/had on EX71.

p.s. Elmers Glue-all is milky white when wet and transparent dried. It's also very easy to remove akin to peeling a layer of skin.

Hmm, good points here Mackie, then I shall get a pcdp instead. Ok, which model you recommend? I have no prior experience in choosing a nice and decent pcdp. Panasonic? Will give it a try, my fren have one...sound quality not that bad...but his one a bit ex. now the price drop already, might due to the exixtence of mp3 players which take away a big piece of cake from portable audio world tongue.gif

am i rite to make that sweep statement?hehe...but one thing is true, that is the mp3 player is really a mobile source and can store a lot of mp3..whereas pcdp only cna play one Cd at one time smile.gif

If i am not wrong PCDP still offers CD quality music which is much better than the quality offered by mp3s. IMO mp3s player are more for people who dont want to carry ji dua bu CDs around happy.gif

Sorry man,

My experience with portable is rather limited. The best combo I had was Panasonic SL-CT570/470 (almost the same) via Straightwire RCA to mini IC to Grado RA-1 to Ety 4P. The other earclip that I like is the Koss KSC-35. Also the Senn PX-200 is quite good and offers some mild isolation. You really dont need an amp if you are not looking for sound quality.

Barradio had a Sony PCDP that was IMO better than the Panasonic (but I forget the model number). Send him a PM and ask him. Tell him it's the PCDP that he brought over to my place.

Iriver + Senn PX200 is not a bad choice. yes.gif

AFAIK, Iriver uses the same sound chip for its PCDP. So u might consider getting an older model or used set that is cheaper than getting a new one.

I would say it's better not to completely isolate external noise as it's quite dangerous. no.gif

Barradio had a Sony PCDP that was IMO better than the Panasonic (but I forget the model number). Send him a PM and ask him. Tell him it's the PCDP that he brought over to my place.

The model is Sony D-EJ1000. happy.gif

Step by step guide for Mychew:

1. Write down a list of the players suggested so far.

2. Look at their tech specs/features online.

3. Narrow down the ones which fits your criterias.

4. Go down to the shops & audition.

5. Buy the one that you like the most.

D-EJ1000 is quite a good one if you are using an amp. During the meet Barradio and I concluded that it was better than D777 (though the D777 really does not have a good line out). If you are looking into all PCDPs including oldies, I remember matbon0013 saying that (and reading from headfi) that Denon DCP-100/150 have very good line out which rivals the D303.

If you are not using amp and you are considering a cans which is kinda cold sounding, or you like a warm sound, the D777 might be the one for you (assuming you can find one at a cheap price).

Edit: I read that D-E905 has a relatively cleaner and colder sound compared to D777 (as well as according to Duncan), assuming you can find one, it might be one of the best head out you can find.

Edited by lekguan

I think he will have a very hard time looking for a E905 or D777.

I really suggest you go to cash convertors to test try several pcdps on a non-peak hour. Much much cheaper and quality should be better than new stuff out there. Or buying from an auction is another alternative but risky as you don't get to try them.

Edited by evil-zen