Sign in to follow this  
mychew

PCDP, CDP or Cans upgrade?

Hi All,

It has been quite a long time I never step into this forum. Have been hunting for job.

Now everything is settled down and have a bit of free time. Therefore, I start thinking of upgrading my rigs.

First and foremost, let me tell you my story here first.

My work require me to travel a lot and therefore I felt bored during long journey from one place to another place. It's a good habit if I can read in the train or bus, but nah..I'm not really used to read on train or bus. I would prefer music listening more. Thus, the first thing I want to buy is a pcdp, but then if I want a pcdp, it's not really convenient for me to play MP3 as I need to burn all my MP3 onto a CD-R or CD-RW, which is quite a tedioous work for me. Though most of the PCDPs and MP3 players are now equipped with AM/FM radio receiver, but normally the sound quality would be affected a bit or the reception not that good (at least I felt that it's true).

Then, I almost give up and want to try a CDp, but then it will incurred some more money. I need to add on much more to the money that I set aside for my pcdpp or mp3 player. Here come the problem, if I intend to buy a CDP, then with my current cans, it would be a no-no to me, I might as well upgrade my cans first. So, in the end, I have more or less decided to have a upgrade for my headphones first.

The reason why I post a topic here is to gather as much valuable opinions as I can, so that I know which thing I should get it first, and which can be wait until next upgrade.

Any suggestion to me?

Thanks a lot.

regards,

Mychew

hey dude, long time no see.....

may be should invest in an ipod. really good stuff.

and then get a portable amp + a closed headphone, to minimize noise from outside; since you are on the road most of the time.

good headphones are usually lack in portability. thus you will have limited choices.

unless go for shure ...

i would suggest you to get a complete portable rig.

good luck..

For traveling, I think portable hd base player would be nice. You don't have to bring or change CD.

So far only iPod has the lossless compression compatibility. For sound quality, I would say it is the same as normal PCDP. I'm not MP3 fans, so lossless compression is a must for me.

For cans, it would be earbuds or clip on. For clip on, my favorite is ATH-EW9 (see my avatar). Earbuds, there are a lot of good ones out there. My myself, I have sony MDR-E888. Audio Technica also has some good models. Or KOSS the plug for cheap and good option.

PCDP, I have iRiver and Panasonic, so far I like my Panasonic SL-CT-810. Good sound and very impressive battery life. And it is very slim as well.

headphone.gif

A HD player with large capacity - store your music in uncompressed format and use the Ety 4p. Good isolation. If you go the ipod route remember to buy Apple Care as you'll get an additional year warrenty that covers the battery as well. That should burn a nice big hole in you pocket as it will work out to more than 1k with the Ety 4P and 40 Gig ipod.

Total style with small footprint though. Also u should be able to store more than 60 CDs in uncompressed format. Assuming u get the 40 Gig version.

Edited by Rameish

If you're happy with you present home rig then my advice would be to get a portable rig. Before you can decide you should really list down all your personal preferences & practical considerations. Like will you need ultra portable (with or w/out amp), need isolation from outside noise, comfort, style, how much you willing to spend, so on & so forth. But I'd say definitely go for the DAP (Digital audio player) since you mentioned your music is MP3 based. That way your transition will be straight forward & you can enjoy your music straight away.

My portable source not necessarily a mp3 based player. I prefer those that is durable, long battery life as i'm always outside. Of coz a mp3 player would be nice. must be slim and light, if can, small in size too. Bbut i dun mind a pcdp if the sound quality is good enough.

my budget is around 200 bucks..any good recommendation?

For $200 budget only you'd be lucky to find a slim, light & small size player new. Let alone the additional cost for some decent portable headphones. You might want to stretch a little more or lower your expectation significantly or get used.

You might want to save up for a while and get the ER4Ps. Even out of a cheapo discman you get very good sound quality. The isolation really helps on those terrible 1 hour plus journeys during rush hour. In the long run they do wonders for your mental health and stress levels, allowing you to tune out despite being packed like a sardine with other annoying people and horrible noises all around you(I've become so used to them for the last 9 months or so that I've had them that I now get commuter rage when I travel without them). Some people don't smell too good as well. My ER4P gets at least 2.5 hours use every working day. Well worth the money spent. If mine somehow got lost or stolen I'd order a new pair on the same day. I like them that much. They shine on a home based setup as well, esp with a cable to convert them into ER4S for use with a home amp.

Edited by av98m

I agree with av98m. If you can afford it, etys are the bane of daily commuting. I use etys 4s with an antique pcdp when i commute.

For $200 though, you can only at most afford the etys 6 which i haven't heard before. But according to others, they are a good buy. I would recommend a closed isolating canal phone to shut off the MRT noise and those pesky kids.

For pcdps, I recommend cash convertors. They sell 2nd hand stuff and as you know, older pcdps are almost always better than modern pcdps. I prefer technics and panasonic pcdps as they are usually more hardy and lasts longer. But of course, they sound different from sonys, aiwa etc so it is up to you.

If you are interested, I have a modified Sony EX 70 for sale. They are noise blocking as well. PM me.

mychew, go for evil-zen's EX70. I own 2 pairs of which and modded them too. For the price and isolation, what more can one ask? However, the 3 ear bud sizes may not fit optimally with all ear canals but it's worth a try. For music on the go, don't think like an audiophile, just think of the music.

Edited by Mackie

Yes, the old technics MASH discmans are excellent, I used them during my schooldays. Not pretty but tough as nails, good sound too.

For music on the move, isolation is key. If the modded sonys can isolate almost as well as the etys, why not give them a try.

Ok for S$200 it's definately 2nd hand as you wont be able to buy the above mentioned Sonys (ie the replacement model - i think it's the 71) and a new PCDP.

So cash convertors and evil's 2nd hand unit should be able to do the job.

However I never liked the sound of the EX-70 (unmodded) - lengcm also has one unmodded - you might wanna drop him a PM. I guess if you're only focusing on the music then it's ok. Just manage your expectations at that price point.

Personally I would save up and get the Ety 4P (new or 2nd hand) and live with what ever portable u have right now.

Edited by Rameish

mychew,

Something for you to consider. Comparing the EX70 and Panasonic's RP-HJE50, I prefer the latter and it's cheaper too. S$59 new.

Hmm...on the topic of tough as nails pcdps....

user posted image

tongue.gif Its big, bulky, has no remote, no backlit display, no fancy functions and features, no line out. But its built like a tank.

Edited by av98m