Sign in to follow this  
fox

Need help and recommendations on setup

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the audio world, but I have always been wanting to get a portable system for my room and private listening.

My portable rig is currently an Ipod 4Gen 20GB with Shure E3C. I guess that should be pretty much settled.

Now I am looking to settle my room rig. I do have a Senn PX200.

Types of music I listen to: Rock, Pop, R&B, Retro, Electronics, Techno, a bit of Jazz (trying to listen to that).

Budget: S$500-S$1,000

Things that I am looking for is total isolation from the outside world and only my music when I get back from work.

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

So I guess you don't need source anymore, just need to spend more on headphone amp and a good pair of headphones. Or, a good source with headphone output and a pair of cans.

So I guess you don't need source anymore, just need to spend more on headphone amp and a good pair of headphones. Or, a good source with headphone output and a pair of cans.

Any recommendations for these? Thanks.

First and foremost, U will be seeking semi-open/close-back cans (most isolation) and this criterion would narrow your choices down to a few. As for headamp, choices are also limited as only a handful of hifi shops deal in these lesser cousins to speaker amps. Those that are available are Sugden, Musical Fidelity, Naim, Cayin, Creek etc. U also have to decide on tube-based or solid state amps and since U're a total newbie in this hobby, I recommend solid-state amps without fuss.

The first thought that strikes me is Master Original amp

See discussion here - http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2589

user posted image

partnered with the following:

Beyerdynamic DT880 (semi-open)

user posted image

Beyerdynamic DT660 (close-back)

user posted image

Beyerdynamic DT150 (close-back)

user posted image

Reference links

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyer%20pages/studioheads.html

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyer%20pages/hifi.html

I have used these cans with my Original Master amp and thus made the above suggestions. Pm me if U wish to audition them as a system. Owing to your choice of source ie I-pod, I recommend DT660 for its more forgiving nature whereas the other two would reveal the source's weakness a whole lot more.

Edited by Mackie

Hung Bros at Sim Lim Square- Senn, AKG, Shure, Etymotic, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technic headphones. Creek headphone amp

Alpha Audio at Sim Lim Sq- MF X-can3

Music by design- Grado.

For isolation purposes, look for closed cans or canal phones.

That's all I can come up with.

hehee ... well i suggest that you think carefully before buying ... it would cost a lot more in the future when the upgrade bug bits you .... lol.gif

But i dont understand what you mean by "wanting to get a portable system for my room and private listening." smoke.gif

If you intend to be portable in term of moving around the room .. i would said tube amp are not likely you would get ... as they need to be power by AC power. intead you can hunt around for GOOD portable amps and a good heaphone for it .. headphone.gif

IF

Or you are saying that you will have proper home rig which includes a CDP and Full amp and a good cans headphone.gif !!

i think you can consider Mackie recommendation w00t.gif

Or in the portable home rig way

Etc;porta corda 2 and lots more .... ! happy finding ! kicking.gif

!note! that Porta corda can drive 250ohm cans headphone.gif without any problem !! whistling.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

Thank you all so much for your replies.

To get a few things clear, my source for home use is not the ipod. I'm looking into a source as well, CD player etc. The source for my portable rig is my Ipod.

Basically, I'm looking for something that when I come back home from work I can sit down and chill in my own world of music. So also am lookin for a bean chair as well. biggrin.gif

Hope this sheds more light to what I am looking for.

Mackie, how much does ths set-up that you are using cost? Also, I got a recommendation for the Creek OBH 21 model for S$480 in SLS. Is it good?

As for the upgrading bug............. well I'm alreday infected by it with my H/P, Camera eqpt etc etc. ARGH!!! It's too late now for me.

So now I am trying to invest into something that I'll be surely sticking to which is my music. I listen to music in one way or another every single day so I guess why not invest.

Mackie, how much does ths set-up that you are using cost? Also, I got a recommendation for the Creek OBH 21 model for S$480 in SLS. Is it good?

I can't reveal the prices publicly but the most expensive of these is DT880 and should cost under S$700 inclusive of Original Master. From your choice of music, I highly recommend DT660 or DT150. The cost would be reduced by S$100 bucks or so. Whatever your choice will be, U have $300-400 for a cdp from a budget of S$1000. NAD and Marantz cdps come to mind at this price bracket.

Edited by Mackie

ok .. for CDP i recommend you to try out the marantz series laugh.gif

for amp you can check out others ! sleep.gif

See discussion here - http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2589 from mackie thread ! unsure.gif

i always beleive that spending more on a good source will be beficial to your overall hi-fi system. So if i may suggest you would spend on cdp to the best maximum possible and built your system to include a better headphone later.

But if your mind is fixed to $1000.00 and would not doing any upgarde in the near future, then spread it out more evenly. but still my rule of thumb is the cost of a source is more than amplification more than headphone. whereas for cables, i have a review beforehand it they should not costing more than 10% of the total cost of your hi-fi system.

Concerning your query about what sort of headamp to go with the DT150 (elsewhere). I'm afraid I can't answer that as I've not listened to the DT150 on many amps or for any great length of time other than my present Cayin amp. All I can say is that the DT150 are not very forgiving headphones. They will reveal the weak links in the chain. A fairly good (mid price) system is the minimum in order for them to shine.

I won't dish out any advice about what sort of home system you should go for. However I will say that, please use the advice given here as a guide. What you very well end up with is down to your specific listening & practical preferences beside budget of course. Getting the system should be part of the experience too so if you have the opportunity, go out & audition some of the gear you are interested in. Not many mentions or care about it but tactile (touch & feel) senses plays an important role to the experience too. This will take a little of your time so don't rush it. It's all part of the fun.

Hrm for that budget and music preference,

I think:

Source

Marantz cdp, preferably 2nd hand. You can try and look into cd6000OSE, cd7300, cd5400.Locate probably about $350-$400 for your source.

Amp

I suggest that you go for Solidstate like mackie suggested. The creek that you mentioned is fine too, but having owned one, I wouldn't exactly say that creek is value for money. The 'original' amp is supposed to be a steal for the money. So if you aren't set on anything else, probably you can give that a consideration.(should be around $250 new? I am not too sure). An alternative would be to pm our local sgh diy-er to make you an amp for your budget. All up to you.

Headphone

You mentioned "Rock, Pop, R&B, Retro, Electronics, Techno, a bit of Jazz " I think that calls for Beyerdynamic DT770 .. touted as the 'bass-king' tongue.gif , with bass that can really shake you, the closest a can can go in terms of slam in comparison to speakers tongue.gif , though I am sure some might disagree with me.That should be $300 brand new, less of course if you go for used. Another good can would be the Grado SR-225, also around $300 or slightly more. Excellent for pop/rock, really foot-tapping party.gif,.. but sadly it's an open headphone sad2.gif . Since you also called for 'isolation from outside world', I take it to the extreme case, and hereby recommend duly the Etymotic ER-4p/s ($400 new from ebay online stores).Excellent detail-retrieval, and very good for use while lying on bed with all lights off listening to your fav. track..heavenly yeah.gif . What's more you can use it for portables party.gif

As for interconnects, you can probably get a second hand Kimber PBJ(<$100) or something else. Budget around $100 or less for the Interconnect as you don't probably left much after the cdp, amp and can selection.

You would probably have spent 1k or slightly more(depending), but with the abovementioned selection, you can hardly go wrong and should be able to enjoy quite a good sonic experience for time to come wink.gif . Btw, if possible try and audition the cans before you buy them as people's taste differ tongue.gif .. one man's meat is another man's poison u see lol.gif ...