Sign in to follow this  
fox

Need help and recommendations on setup

hmm ... i agreed with mackie ... you cannot compare a full CDP to a PCDP. ya must understand that it will sound very different b'cos the upsampling is very different ! and they have very different sound house .. tell you i own the sony D-777 is a great PCDP but it still lose to a Actual CDP ... come on think of the size !!! happy.gif ( price is not a major factor other than budget ! ) holiday.gif

When you say upsampling, are you refering to the Marantz CDP? If so, which model of the Marantz cdp has upsampling? Coz I am looking for an upsampling cdp.

What do you mean by : price is not a major factor other than budget ? blink.gif

When you say upsampling, are you refering to the Marantz CDP? If so, which model of the Marantz cdp has upsampling? Coz I am looking for an upsampling cdp.

I am currently using a CDP which has an upsampling capabaility and a headamp output. Shanling T100C

I hardly use the upsampling feature.

You are welcome to my place to try it out. It has both a solid state and tube output.

I for one wouild like to test your HD650 with mobius cable..... biggrin.gif

Let me know if you are interested in listening to my CDP. I can provide beer and whiskey.

I am currently using a CDP which has an upsampling capabaility and a headamp output. Shanling T100C

I hardly use the upsampling feature.

You are welcome to my place to try it out. It has both a solid state and tube output.

I for one wouild like to test your HD650 with mobius cable..... biggrin.gif

Let me know if you are interested in listening to my CDP. I can provide beer and whiskey.

Sure thing, but that would only happen around the end of September. I can bring long the Equinox cable as well.

hmm ... i agreed with mackie ... you cannot compare a full CDP to a PCDP. ya must understand that it will sound very different b'cos the upsampling is very different ! and they have very different sound house .. tell you i own the sony D-777 is a great PCDP but it still lose to a Actual CDP ... come on think of the size !!!  happy.gif ( price is not a major factor other than budget ! ) holiday.gif

sorry lengCM ... i think i make a mistake in my typing Sorry i got confuse and mess up is not upsampling ...

SORRY no.gif

O.o i mean the prices for the CDP and PCDP is not really important between their differences but rather is that the budget that one could afford it @ no.gif

I just called KEC and the salesman was saying that the CD5400 costs S$299 and the 6000LE costs S$449. Whcich is more value for money?

Yo go down and listen to the player .... ok .. i own the 6000OSE .... it nice .... but i wanna upgrade too but but I am totally short of $$$$$$$$ @ rolleyes.gif

Will most definitely do that. Thanks.

Too bad they do not have stock for the 6000LE (at the moment). Will probably pop in on Saturday though.

u budget is 500-1000 for source + i/c + amp + hp.

It's very important to get a decent source(CDP), this is what i will tell a new audio adventurer.  I'm a new audio adventurer also. tongue.gif  Get used stuff as it will save u $$$.

my -2ct suggestion is as below:

source 500 - 600

i/c  < 50

amp < 150-200

hp < 250-300

i/c are interconnects? Any recommendations?

Hi Fox,

It's very likely that you will try out a number of I/C before u get one that is more suitable to your intended setup. leave it to last, get the bigger items cdp, amp n hp first. The rest of the forumers are providing you with good suggestions on the bigger items. laugh.gif

u budget is 500-1000 for source + i/c + amp + hp.

It's very important to get a decent source(CDP), this is what i will tell a new audio adventurer.  I'm a new audio adventurer also. tongue.gif  Get used stuff as it will save u $$$.

my -2ct suggestion is as below:

source 500 - 600

i/c  < 50

amp < 150-200

hp < 250-300

Any recommended brands for source at that price?

it maybe possible to can get a used Marantz 17mk3 at $600+, u have to wait and hunt. A new NAD C542 cdp should be around that price range also.

For interconnect you can get some info here

SGH mackie personal interconnect preview

May be we should do a review on CD5400 vs CT810, hahaha.....

I don't normally make a sound decision when I've not done the necessary comparison but in this case, I shall make an exception. tongue.gif The latter of these two machines targets users who seek portability and we all know it comes at a price for size (smaller the better) matters and thus more expensive in terms of production cost. MJ, review it yourself and let us know if there's credence in my opinion. I stand corrected if otherwise. yes.gif

I just called KEC and the salesman was saying that the CD5400 costs S$299 and the 6000LE costs S$449. Whcich is more value for money?

CD6000 range has been superseded by a new range of which CD5400 is the entry model. However, there's no denial the latter is superior in the technical department. Its DAC is capable of 24/192 upsampling but utilized at 16/44.1 in this range. Check out earlier discussions on this model.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?act=...highlite=cd5400

Look at specs here

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2321

CD5400 is not your final stop, just the beginning. U can certainly find used cdps of higher pedigree in the Classfieds here and other forums but as usual, usual caveats exist. I will keep an eye out for U.

Edited by Mackie

source 500 - 600

i/c < 50

amp < 150-200

hp < 250-300

Sub-$50 for a pair of interconnects is ridiculous. I'd say, put at least $100 for a commercial cable or DIY a cable like Jan Meier's using Bullet Plugs if you don't wish to use the Neutrik Pro-fi's.

yeah...i think there's an upgraded consonance which i think is a real bargain in the classifieds. dunno if its still available yes.gif

yeah...i think there's an upgraded consonance which i think is a real bargain in the classifieds. dunno if its still available yes.gif

Now THAT's an excellent bargain, considering the build quality and the amount of work it has gone through. I had to restrain myself when I saw the post. Whoever ends up buying it is a lucky fella. holiday.gif

Ok i tried digging the link for you ..

here the player OK so all the rest is up to you rolleyes.gif

please click to view unsure.gif

Buy & Sell Classifeds Forum IN SGH

I don't normally make a sound decision when I've not done the necessary comparison but in this case, I shall make an exception. tongue.gif The latter of these two machines targets users who seek portability and we all know it comes at a price for size (smaller the better) matters and thus more expensive in terms of production cost. MJ, review it yourself and let us know if there's credence in my opinion. I stand corrected if otherwise. yes.gif

Hi Makie

I want to write, but no experience leh..

Moreover I don't have so many references.

But I am learning from you all.

I am slowly improving my setup.

Hope one day I can post some review here.

Thanks Makie.