lengcm

HD650 setup

Hi NiuBi (NewBie? similar pronunciation tongue.gif ),

Ye Li's ta 8pr? Is it a headphone amp?

somewhat similar pronunciation. it is chinese pinyin: niu = cow, bi = vagina. in beijing slang this word means VERY cool.

yes, it is a headphone amp. a friend of mine in beijing has one that Ye Li built for him. my friend though has hd600. below is a large photo of my friend's ye li ta 8pr:

user posted image

Hi Niubi,

Who is YeLi ? How much is VAW TA8PR? Do you have the specification for it? They look BIG from the photo.

Very impressive I'm sure everyone will be interested to see the innards. Any chance of that?

Very impressive I'm sure everyone will be interested to see the innards. Any chance of that?

i've seen it, open it up myself ..hahha.. cool.gif

never thought you guys will be interested in it.. so just keep quiet.. tongue.gif

FYI: the amp consists of 10 tubes.

w00t.gif Whahaaa .. most of you have very Good setup for the HD650 ... hope some other more people shares their setup ideas ...here too ! happy.gifhappy.gif

YAYA ... mod how about opening another thread for the amp as it may disturb the HD650 setup thread !! .... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

FYI: the amp consists of 10 tubes.

What...!!! 10 tubes...!!! w00t.gif

It must be something... can somebody elaborate more about the amp? Huangyong will you share any info you have about the amp? ((Schematic please tongue.gif ))

Thanks!

((Schematic please tongue.gif ))

It's Chinese DIY master, YeLi's hard work, not good to publish la.. dry.gif

What...!!! 10 tubes...!!!

sorry, gave wrong info tongue.gif , 10 tubes are just for the input/gain stage. They are Mullard EL82 (match pairs, super rare)

The output tubes are NEC ECC82 Matched pair.

The transformer is handmade. The strange thing is, I couldn't find any audiophiles components inside. No blackgate, no holco, no auricap nor hovland caps... yet..it sounds so nice.. w00t.gifw00t.gif

(FYI: That 8pr is still in Sinagpore)

Edited by huangyong

The strange thing is, I couldn't find any audiophiles components inside. No blackgate, no holco, no auricap nor hovland caps... yet..it sounds so nice.. 

Thanks Huangyong!

Do you know why? Because master YeLi knows that those expensive things sometime just for name or brand show off without giving significant improvement. The most important thing is the active component which gives the greatest impact in sound. So the cost should be more on the active components than the passive wink.gif And of coz the circuit design biggrin.gif

Whahaaa .. most of you have very Good setup for the HD650 ... hope some other more people shares their setup ideas ...here too ! 

my hd650 is powered by a ray samuels audio emmeline sr-71 (i shall be getting a stefan audio arts equinox sennheiser cable soon). i hope to go see ye li in beijing sometime in the coming months; hopefully i will leave with a ta 8pr!

here is my sennheiser hd family photo with the sr-71:

user posted image

Hi NiuBi,

You are still using the stock cable with HD650? Would you like to share your listening experience with them?

How is the sound characteristics of the emmeline sr-71? It looks rather small together with your senn family members.

i just got the hd650 and sr-71 last week; i have a stefan audio arts equinox cable coming in a few weeks (it's out of stock). so far the hd650 and sr-71 are very much to my liking.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the Equinox cable over the other aftermarket cables which have been better reviewed (e.g. Zu Mobius and Silver Dragon)?