lengcm

HD650 setup

Just wondering what are the setups you guys used with the above headphone?

I shall start with mine:

Consonance 1.1 -> kimber select 1030-> corda HA1 -> HD650 with Equinox.

Marantz SA-14 / MF A3 -> Bryston BP25 preamp tape out -> Corda HA-2 (0 ohm) -> HD650 with Clou Red

Cables:

SA-14 to BP25: DIY silver cable

A3 to BP25: Z^2 gold alloy

BP25 to Corda: SonicArt silver coated copper cable

Edited by fuwen

MF A3CD/Marantz SA8260 > Tara Labs RSC Decade > Audiovalve RKV MKII/Original Master amp > HD650 with stock cable

Ooh..PPA with Diamond Buffers! That seemed to be the choice pairing with HD650 at one time at head-fi if i recall correctly.

MF X-ray -> DIY RCA -> PPA (Diamond Buffs) -> HD 650 with Mobius. headphone.gif

How does the HD650 pairs with your "toaster" and the EMC1up?

xindakFP1000 pwr con<->Marantz sa17(xindak FPgoldPC)->SD AVdeco/MIC RCA/AQ viper/?have not decide?->(xindak FP-1 PC)opera cyber20(JJ/MIC EL84 with mullard/EH 12Au7)->hd650(Mobius/stock/oelbach)

hd650(Mobius/stock/oelbach)
Charistmatic, in your opinion, does Oelbach cable improves sound quality substantially over the stock cable? I'm currently pondering on such an offer. Thanks.

Charistmatic, in your opinion, does Oelbach cable improves sound quality substantially over the stock cable? I'm currently pondering on such an offer. Thanks.

Currently the 650 is fixed with the mobius. I have added a number of new or semi-new items into the setup and most of the gears are still not run-in or season yet, so I am still testing out. I would take this as an opportunity to have an eqpt feedback to this forum.

The oelbach that i have been using with the 600 really alters the 600 sound. The oelbach sounds more season and more "weight" than the stock cable with 650 and it doesn't alter the 650 sound. To me it improves over the 650 stock cable.

Interestingly I found that 600+mobius is a better combo than 650+mobius in my setup and the 600+mobius lets me recall back what I had heard from 600+its stock cable but with multi level of improvement in various aspect(I can't explain in words, u have to try it out yourself then you would know what i mean). Thus, I m thinking of getting a replacement cable, maybe cardas, for 650 and use the mobius for 600. Comparing 650 and 600, my personal opinion is that they sounds different, they are different cans altogether.

Lastly, do take my eqpt feedback sparingly, YMMV.

Hi Mackie, I can lend you the oelbach to test out, let me know via SMS to arrange. Weekend afternoon is fine for me.

laugh.gif

There is one thing I notice about the stock cable, it seems to have more air than the oehlbach and the mobius. With my setup, the oehlbach with the HD650 gives it too much weight making the music sound slow.

On certain days, I do find the HD600+Mobius a better combination. The mobius does tighten up the bass and gives the HD600 more detail. I would say the Mobius with the HD600 approaches the signature of the DT931.

Edited by lengcm

Hi Mackie, I can lend you the oelbach to test out, let me know via SMS to arrange. Weekend afternoon is fine for me.

Charismatic, I will get in touch once my curiosity overwhelms me. Keep us updated of your findings, especially on the forthcomin Cardas and HD650 partnership.

There is one thing I notice about the stock cable, it seems to have more air than the oehlbach and the mobius. With my setup, the oehlbach with the HD650 gives it too much weight making the music sound slow

Going by the sonic signatures of Oelbach mini-mini cable, my findings will most likely concur with yours; duly so with RKV but a tad less with Original amp because of its relatively leaner and shallower bass traits. IMO, airiness is paramount in headphone systems to avoid aural claustrophobia.

Just a side-thought, the existing Hd6xx replacement cables, Cardas, Zu, Equniox, etc have been around way before the h650. Thus, can i say that they have been designed with the h600 in mind rather than h650? mellow.gif

Just a side-thought, the existing Hd6xx replacement cables, Cardas, Zu, Equniox, etc have been around way before the h650.  Thus, can i say that they have been designed with the h600 in mind rather than h650? mellow.gif

obviously not, but the various replacement cables have been widely reviewed online on various headphone forums, so we can have some idea how they might match with the hd650. considering that the connector is shared by many headphones, i doubt there will be some major change in the existing upgrade cables specifically for hd650.

i wonder the same for amps that were designed specifically around the hd600. its not likely to change any current amps. because i am thinking about getting the hd650, i wonder how Ye Li's ta 8pr matches with it considering it was built around the hd600 (with the notion of making the hd600 sound as close to the orpheus as possible in Ye Li's memory of listening to the orpheus).