Sign in to follow this  
Absolute0

CDP/DAC Recommendations

Hi all, I am thinking of upgrading my source, a CD63 mkII KI Signature (unmodded), and need some recommendations. My budget is about $600-$800 (max).

I was contemplating whether to go for a transport + DAC combo, a one-box solution, or to just buy a new DAC (budget $400). SACD/HDCD/DVD-A playback would be a bonus, but not critical. I am more concerned about redbook playback quality.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know the price and place to purchase if possible.

Feel free to PM me if you have any CDP/DAC you want to let go. Thanks.

Huangyong: Any idea where I can get those?

Evil-zen: Those seem to be beyond my budget, and I would prefer SS to tubes at the moment.

Thanks for all the input.

Before U consider DAC option, do a research on digital jitter and U'll discover why the trend of transport+dac setup has faded in recent years. This issue was initially ignored and although duly addressed later with jitter bugs such as Monarchy Audio DIP, Theta TLC etc, the increase in cost as a result pales in comparision to one-box units that are becoming more sophisticated (technology wise) and yet dropping in price.

Unless U have a high end cdp with a great transport mechanism but old in the tooth in the DAC section, it may be feasible to some who considers cost of a jitter bug, 2 x digital cables and DAC to be negligible.

Adding an outboard DAC to your old cdp usually yields higher resolution but leaving jitter errors unaddressed is a detriment to musicality. At worst, distortion such as clicks can be heard. One may also draw his/her own conclusion why current DVDps that are usually of 24bit/96-192KHz resolution do not automatically qualify as the main source in an audiophile's sound system.

Absolute0, in your case, U could jolly well buy a new/used cdp which offers upsampling, HDCD or SACD. However, I deem all these features as secondary to redbook playback quality as U've rightly acknowledged. If U favour the house sound of Marantz, CD17MKIII should be your cup of tea and definitely superior to your current player. We will have to probe deeper if U're seeking a different sound from Marantz.

Edited by Mackie

Try Marantz SA8400. It uses a new Transport, very different from the CDxxxx series and uses CS9xx7(i forgot the part number) dac chip. I nearly bought one but I settled for my current CDP later.

Thanks Mackie for bringing the jitter bug and other DAC concerns to light. I have admittedly not heard of these before.

I am not necessarily only looking at the Marantz sound, in fact a change might do good. With my limited experience with CDPs, it seems that some exposure to other brands might not be a bad thing.

I have heard many good things about the CD17MKIII, but it seems to be beyond my budget. Same thing goes for the Marantz SA8400. Anyone knows the price and where they can be purchased?

The NAD C542 has also caught my interest, if anyone can provide any impressions, price quotes, etc.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does "unsampling" do?

Edited by Absolute0

The X-ray cdp seems to be a good deal at that price. It does HDCD and if I remember correctly the circuit is quite similar to the A3 series.Anyone can confirm this? unsure.gif

The X-ray cdp seems to be a good deal at that price. It does HDCD and if I remember correctly the circuit is quite similar to the A3 series.Anyone can confirm this? unsure.gif

X-Ray don't have HDCD and also no up sampling (24/96). tongue.gif

Absolute0,

It would help if you could tell us your budget. Otherwise you'll get recommendations that are off the mark.

Huangyong: Any idea where I can get those?

Thanks for all the input.

You can ask digi01, that's his friend's work (1st pic).