dgps

Best Amp for AKG 501?

Try out the X-Cans V2. Just as Gilmore amp is meant for driving low impedance cans (if I'm not wrong, Kevin designed the amp to drive his low impedance Grados), the X-Can V2 is built to match that of the high impedance load.

It's built mainly to pair up with HD600's 300 ohms but I feel that it's good enough to drive my AKG K501's (120 ohms) and Beyer's DT880 (250ohms). To me, the partnership sounds good enough.

The X-Can V2 is a good amp. I can vouch for that. After you get tired with the sound, you can perform some mods and tweaks to it to make it sound better. Well that is my personnal opinion though.

Good Morning laugh.gif ,

Anyone tried AKG501 with creek obh11?

dgps,

Best Amp? I don't know. I do know we had the Creek and Cordas at the SG Head-Fi meet in Jan and Evil-Zen had his AKG 501. If memory serves me right he did like the Corda line. Nothern Oak also brought his AKG 501 to my place sometime back. I guess he liked it but was looking for a 20% improvement. I let Oak post his impressions on the Corda.

What about the AKG 501 would you like to see improved? Also what CDP are you using. The AKG are pretty netural and a bit dry/bass shy, very airy. So any component like the amp or CDP is going to push it either to the bright or warm side.

What amp are you using now? You may already have a good match.

Hi dgps,

could you also tell us the interconnect you are using ?

thanks. wink.gif

Personally I felt the Corda HA-2 and Pre-Head could drive the AKG501 very well if not to its full potential. Other amps I've heard with it like the Creek OBH11, Grado RA-1 didn't have enough power.

Hi dgps,

could you also tell us the interconnect you are using ?

thanks. wink.gif

hi,

presently i am using the OBH-11 to drive the cans, sometime i connect to my PCDP and sometime to my CDP via taralabs Air 3. My CDP player also has headphone out, problem is i cannot hear any great difference when i switch between the OBH-11 & the CDP direct output.

i would prefer warm more than bright...........

cheers...............

A tube amp sound will generally be warmer than a solid state (SS) amp. However there are a few SS amp does sound pretty warm.

Edited by lengcm

Read from head-fi years ago that creek 11se is quite ok to drive 501 (for the price), and now I'm also using the 11se with my 501, the warm nature of 11se is quite suit the 501's "netural and a bit dry/bass shy, very airy" nature, volumn wise, I listen at 9 to 10 o'clock, but I used to listen at soft volumn. Creek 11 is colder and harder than 11se, I don't like it. I used to audit the sudgen headmaster, while it's very good for w100, it don't have the synergy with k501. hammer.gif

Maybe headroom max would be good? kicking.gif

The Gilmore can drive higher impedance cans but would need higher input voltages (+/- 20v to 24v) and minor resistor changes to be converted to do so well.

Hi dgps,

The Taralabs are usually not as fast as Kimber's Silver Streak or Nordost's BH. Audioquest is also another brand that is worth trying, esp for those who wishes to have a wide choice of models vs prices wink.gif

Hi Firefox, how is your new META42 coming along ? Do you find BMT tough ? yes.gif

On the issue of interconnects, I agree Nordost has the fastest presentation followed by Kimber and then Tara Labs very very very close behind. Speed is quite subjective as I hear it.

For instance, I personally find Nordost Red Dawn too fast and left insufficient time for the music to involve whereas Kimber Silver Streak is just about right. IMHO, difference in speed was not notable when comparing Tara Labs Air 3 and Ref Gen 2 with the Kimber. In fact, the most outstanding difference is the mid band. Kimber is somewhat leaner in this spectrum while the Tara Labs is more full bodied. However, Kimber has deeper soundstaging while Tara Labs has solid imaging. Once again, the relationship between imaging and soundstaging is demonstrated.

Where does the Nordost Red Dawn/Blue Heaven stand? If U find your system lacking in attack, speed, air and rather bass heavy, then Nordost is the perfect match for your system, no doubt about it! yes.gif However, my ears do not serve as a benchmark no.gif and thus, YMMV.

Edited by Mackie

Yes, Mackie you have done the right analysis, this explained why i sold off my Master Generation2 some time back. Also, i saw a Taralab Air 3 put on sale at loftecho this morning at about 7.15am. Not sure if this forum does create impact as immediate and substantial as this.... rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif