Sign in to follow this  
lengcm

New Toy

Looks like a Cary SLI-80 to me! How much did it cost you mate? Santa made real good!

Take a photo with the amp running & show the tube glow in all it's fiery glory!

yes.gif i'm begining to like the way tube amps looks wub.gif

anyone from SGH with a DIY tube headamp? happy.gif

Nice looking tube amp (anyway tube stuff are always nice with those tubes around)!

I am not familar with Cary. Is this an integrated amp with headphone out? If it is only a headamp then I think it is huge!

What tubes it is using(sorry I know nuts about tubes, although heard of KT88 and EL34 but cannot recognise them)?

Pretty certain its an integrated amp, otherwise, the transformers will be an overkill for a pure headamp. Monetary damage must be rather extensive. ohmy.gif Woo... but what a start to audio nirvana..........be it cans or speakers system.

Barradio: I have already bought the CD303/200. Not too sure if MbD has the 306 in stock.

Fuwen: It uses the 6922 as pre-amp tubes, 6SN7s as phase inverter, 6550 as power tubes and 5U4 as rectifier tubes. The EL34 and the KT88 can be used in this amp as well.

av98m: Oh ya they are definately similing on me, bought myself some new tubes, more on the way!

Edited by lengcm

Pretty certain its an integrated amp, otherwise, the transformers will be an overkill for a pure headamp.  Monetary damage must be rather extensive.  ohmy.gif  Woo... but what a start to audio nirvana..........be it cans or speakers system.

Purpose of buying this amp was to drive speakers not so much of headphones. The previous amp I bought, the CAD 300SEI was more suited for horns speakers. However a good pairs of horns will set me back by at least 16K.

Edited by lengcm

Hi! Leng, first time I heard 4 types of tubes in 1 amp. Is this a typical high end design? I thought normally there are only 2 sets of tubes (or at least those my friends owned used only have 2 types). Knowing tubes will affect the sonic characteristics, what will be the case for an amp with 4 types of tubes? I suppose the preamp tubes and the power tubes will play bigger roles in terms of affecting sonic characteristics of the amp?

U must be having a very good time with your new, sexy toy! smile.gif

Hi! Leng, first time I heard 4 types of tubes in 1 amp. Is this a typical high end design? I thought normally there are only 2 sets of tubes (or at least those my friends owned used only have 2 types). Knowing tubes will affect the sonic characteristics, what will be the case for an amp with 4 types of tubes? I suppose the preamp tubes and the power tubes will play bigger roles in terms of affecting sonic characteristics of the amp?

U must be having a very good time with your new, sexy toy! smile.gif

Definately having a good time tube rolling. So far been tube rolling the pre-amp tubes, 6922s. Will be upgrading the rectifier tubes and trying some power tubes sometime later.

Ha ha, Leng, I very much doubt you are a retiring head-fier leh!