Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

The mini D70 users thread

the focal length was at 12mm, i also took a few at 24mm and they don't look that much different...

hrmmm... saving up for either this one or the nikkor 12-24.. 18mm still not enough for me after the FOV crop tongue.gif

new gear update tongue.gif :

Lexar 1gb 80X CF card

Manfrotto 484RC2 ball head

did any of u guys get new gear for your D70?

Oooh... photie shop sooo... tempted to drop by SG for the weekend & pick up some goodies! I've still got a few things to get in my checklist. AF-S 70-200mm VR got stock? w00t.gif

BTW, any of you guys familiar with Max photo Pte Ltd at Centerpoint?

Oooh... photie shop sooo... tempted to drop by SG for the weekend & pick up some goodies! I've still got a few things to get in my checklist. AF-S 70-200mm VR got stock? w00t.gif

BTW, any of you guys familiar with Max photo Pte Ltd at Centerpoint?

not a good idea to get your camera gear from Orchard area N@Z...

so far T.K. foto in Beach Rd givs me the best prices, even better then SLS

the Tokina for example, $1090 is very close to what i can get direct form my suppilers who also deal in cameras...

That's where I got my $170 AF 50mm f/1.8 lens from.

this lens seems ok albeit the price is a lil higher than what I expect it to be..

if only it's some 800 dollars.. yawn.gif

OTOH, tamron has the 11-18mm di lens..(releasing , or has it been released?) and the sigma's upcoming 10-20(I think) .. hur hur makes my choice difficult yawn.gifw00t.gif

Edited by Blues

'Lords' at the shopping ctr besides Tangs (i forgot the name) is very reputable and sells stuff at good prices which are quite negotiable. Ive heard nothing but good things. They are very friendly and quite knowledgable and prices can be negotiable if u ask nicely. U can try your luck there.

lens test for today tongue.gif

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8

Tamron 200-500mm F5-6.3

Sigma @ 70mm

user posted image

Sigma @ 120mm

user posted image

Sigma @ 200mm

user posted image

Tamron @ 200mm

user posted image

Tamron @ 420mm

user posted image

Tamron @ 500mm

user posted image

i find the Sigma a little soft...but it has better features then the Tamron, floating lens elements...the lens stays the same size when zoom from 70 to 200mm, the AF was also faster then the Tamron, this lens is heavier then the Tamron, the built quality is also better, it feels like a DX lens while the Tamron is more plastic, both lens with metal mounts

rips, any idea how much ur best dealer can get for u the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 ? I have been considering this for sometime .. might be getting to replace my kit as a walkaround. still need 1 more super wide angle though hrm sleep.gif

i remember asking the 28-75mm f2.8...its about $700, not worth the price as the kit lens has the same range, and since its a walkaround lens, u don't really need the F2.8...unless u're walkaround indoors tongue.gif i was also considering this lens...but i think a big zoom may be more useful now since i hav the kit lens

a good walkaround lens might be the Tamron Di II 18-200mm f3.5-6.3, but this lens has a plastic mount, i hav seen the lens and the built quality is no good, very rough and noisy, i think it was around $600

for super wide, i prefer a prime lens thats bright, maybe F2 or F1.8 for indoors, but the Tokina 12-24 @ F4 still produce very good results in low light conditions indoors with high ISO setting...a lot of people has advise me to get this lens, they say its a good buy/investment...including the Nikon people smile.gif

so expensive? hrm.. coz I remembered someone mentioned in CS that they cost around 500+ or 600 brand new.. then I've seen 2nd hand ones floating around 450-500 in mint condition with warranty.

When I stated walkaround, it's to say that the lens that will be on my body most of the time. not in the sense as walkingout door kind of lens. So the const 2.8 comes in very handy in some situations and I don't have to push the ISO that high. D70 suffers from800 above.What's more I've seen the samples and like it. They say the best in the 3rd party range, even better than the sigma and tokina in terms of image , but build abit lose out to the former 2. Secondary, I can use it on film bodies in the future unlike kit which will vignette biggrin.gif

The 18-200 tamron is not attractive coz I don't think the image quality is better than even the nikon kit. I also don't need so much zoom range.. most of my shootings are done <50mm tongue.gif

Edited by Blues

i'll check the price again smile.gif maybe i remember wronly smile.gif the $700 could be the Sigma 24-70mm...

got a chance to try out the new D70s yesterday laugh.gif

first touch...it feels no different from the D70, the 2" LCD is also no bigger the the D70's 1.8"

the menu color looks nicer, performance wise, i can't feel any difference in the AF speed or write speed of the new camera...

the major differences are :

2" LCD

menu color

rubber eye-piece, (nicer shape)

port for external shutter release via cable

color of the shutter button (black)

everything else is exectly the same as the D70, including the features in the menu.

now just need to wait for the release of the D70s firmware so we can upgrade to 70s lol.gif

is there anyway we can get to use the external shutter release via cable? its either that or getting an infrared remote for me.