Sign in to follow this  
idkfa

What AMP for HD600?

Hi guys, I'm kinda thinking of getting an amp for HD600. Currently on my mind is a Luxman P1, CEC-51 or Ergo Amp1. I know these combos are in different categories, but does anyone had experience with these combos?

Among the above amps, is there one that compliments both the CD3K and the HD600? Cos I am thinking of going CD3K in a couple of months. CDP Source is an Onkyo C705X.

Kindly advice and Best rgds,

Edited by idkfa

Any idea how much you're willing to spend?

That's a tricky one. I'll prob go for less than $2000 if possible including the HD600. Which leaves me nicely for the Luxman. But if there's a cheaper alternative, by all means! Please advice. I am really curious about the Ergo Amp1 which I heard are good for AKGs and Senns. What you think?

I was about to say my amp but nevermind..

Those 2 headphones are at rather extreme ends from each other. Not many amps are that neutral and be able to drive them equally well.

I'd suggest Corda HA2 or Prehead (not the MK II variants of both since I haven't heard them).

Both the Prehead and HA-2 are very decent and solidly built.

They also have a fairly neutral tone and shouldn't have any issues with either of the 2 headphones.

That is the problem isn't it. It's really hard to decide.

I am thinking of HD600 all along but then I thought I should at least own a CD3K sometime. I'm not gonna buy this and that amp while I am here in tokyo cos the more things i have here the more troublesome to move around.

I do agree with you that it's two totally different sound signatures. I really like the neutralness of the HD but still love the color and warmth of the 3K. I'm not that familiar with amps.< This is my problem. I'll perhaps go down to the store to see if they have the corda. I've heard nice reviews about them but seldom see them paired with the 3K.

So I can fairly say that the corda and prehead fall under the neutral zones?

Rgds,

Is tubes/solid state a consideration? IIRC, there were a few amps mentioned on Head-fi that seemed to synergise well with both headphones, you might want to do a search.

Cordas are only available from Meier Audio if I am not wrong.

Tubes are really out of my league. I don't really like the sound of them as compared to solid and also they are too ex for me. wink.gif I'll do a search on Head-Fi later! Now thinking of sidelining a pair of A900. Sounded really good this evening at the shop.. biggrin.gif

How about trying Naim Headline? I'm using it with my HD600 and it sounded pretty good. You can get the Naim Headline from Hung Bros who is the official distributor. It probably cost less than a $1K.

I havn't heard about the Naim Headline yet. Now I'm pretty steered towards the sound of the beyers. HD600 seems a little of of contention now hammer.gif This amp thing is making me very stressed! haha...But I am looking forward to listening to the beyers 880pro on a fellow forumer's cayin ha-1a. That's one affordable tube for me, even though I didn't like them initially!

If u like bright sounding ones, the 991's (is that the right model number?) should suit yer taste

cayin ha-1a.. I have heard it in new type's house with both the dt150 and the dt880.. good match. Not yet tried with the cd3k but from experience .. cd3k does sound really good with tubes. The glorious mid which they are known for become almost life-like and more natural IMO. FYI my experience with the cd3k was with the consonance cyber-30 headamp.. it's good match for the hd580/600 too I think coz the previous owner, headphonecrazy used the amp with the sennheiser wink.gif

Yes, I think so too. I AGAIN, went down to my fav shop to test out the 880 with cayin. Lush and warmy, I kinda like the sound. Seems like this cayin is a pretty versatile tube amp. I'll can have fun with tube rolling too. Don't want to burn it like Wil! LOL. CD3K is a very possible future upgrade so if someone who has tried the cayins with the 3K, pls tell me your impressions. I am almost certain on getting this cayin. Almost too affordable.

Consonance is a tad more expensive. And furthermore no one in japan carries that make. I'll love to give it a listen though.

Can anyone comment on those DIY cheap tube monoblocks? I see them here all the time for less thenSGD$200. Is is generally safe to assume the sound is very dependent on the tubes used? Worth a buy for a tube amp this cheap?

I have not seen any monoblocks for headphones. Further more, monoblocks requires a pre-amp to drive them. Sound produced by a tube amp is dependant on the tubes. However, the design plays a very important part as well.

Well, in akihabara, there's lotsa ppl doing DIYs for stereo equipment. I've seen a couple of monoblock tube amps and they are cheap considering it's in the $SGD200 region. And on the front, there's the headphone out and vol ctrl, so I assume that must be for headphones. Perhaps it's all intergrated, hence monoblock tube amps?

I'lll try to take some pictures next time when I come across them.

Thanks so much for the info lengcm.

I'm still awaiting anyone who has tried the 3K with the cayin ha-1a...

I havn't heard about the Naim Headline yet. Now I'm pretty steered towards the sound of the beyers. HD600 seems a little of of contention now  This amp thing is making me very stressed! haha...But I am looking forward to listening to the beyers 880pro on a fellow forumer's cayin ha-1a. That's one affordable tube for me, even though I didn't like them initially!

If you like to hear the sound of the Naim Headline, drop me a PM and you are welcome to audition it at my place.

Edited by annapurna