jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

I'd like to modify the amp so I can use a 12v DC wall adaptor and also be able to use my 9V battery. Obviously not both at the same time, is it possible for me to do this? What I'm thinking is to havea DC socket mounted on the box, but also a 9V battery plug inside the box too, so DC can be used at home, and 9V while i'm out (portable). Thanks gus!

this page has a little info

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial...aks.html#dcjack

i think i recall seeing a simular page talking about uisng the mains power to charge a rechargeable battery, but i might have been day dreaming.

Okay guys, my amp is finished and I'm very happy with it!! Pictures are to come, its not quite in the enclosure yet you see.

I do have a couple more questions. I'd like to modify the amp so I can use a 12v DC wall adaptor and also be able to use my 9V battery. Obviously not both at the same time, is it possible for me to do this? What I'm thinking is to havea DC socket mounted on the box, but also a 9V battery plug inside the box too, so DC can be used at home, and 9V while i'm out (portable). Thanks gus!

Now back to this metal tin busines...I have taped down the metal case so the pcb can sit inside without shorting. Jason said something about making sure that the grounds of the headphone sockets should be shorted to the tin, if its mounted to the tin it should be grounded right? Or am i wrong? If i'm wrong does that mean i need to attatch a wire from the socket to part of the metal on the tin?

Cheers guys, I appreciate the help for my amatuerness!

Hi,

RancidM has given you the link to show how to connect up two diodes so that you can use 12V DC or a 9V battery. To allow your 12V DC to charge the 9V battery, you need to add a regulator and a resistor. You can find details in the PINT pages in the same Tangent site.

As for connecting ground to the tin, the simplest way, is to use non-isolated sockets for both the input and output and make sure these are mounted directly on the metal, without any insulation.

Regards

Edited by heady

strumluff,

Re: the socket, it is definitely non-insulated, since it is fully metal.

I guess you can use a perf board to mount the diodes and double side tape it to some where. Or just do it point to point and wrap them in insulating tape. You may have to ensure the DC connector is also insulated from the metal.

Edited by heady

Guest strumluff

I have some heat shrink lying around :)

Point to point...that means connect the components together with wire? That seems like the easiest method.

Edited by strumluff

Point to point...that means connect the components together with wire? That seems like the easiest method.

yep....

there are some pictures on the forums were people havnt bothered with a PCB at all and its all P2P...

looks totaly confusing to me but technical theres no differancen i suppose. the PCB just makes it look neat.

ClieOS, well done. Unique placement of the panel components. Enjoy your amp!

I have rolled quite a few opamps: OPA2134,OPA2227, OP270EZ/OP270GZ and OP275. So far i like OP270EZ the best. The one i just posted has OP270GZ in it. This amp will stay on my desktop, while the other one will go out with me. I fit ot in a spare box i got last time, pretty tight and no place for anything else...:)

Edited by ClieOS