jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

I am not sure about mounting it in a tin. I know that most 3 channel amp won't allow it since the input ground and output ground is different and in a metal enclosure, the input and output ground is connected via the tin. Will the experts please confirm this? Jason?

i did read on another forums that some chap used a mints tin and what he did was give the inside of the tin a liberal coating of nail varnish to stop the pcb making contact with the metal directly.

sound like the sort of dodgey unprofessional approach i would take...!!!!

so its most probably ill advised at best.

i did read on another forums that some chap used a mints tin and what he did was give the inside of the tin a liberal coating of nail varnish to stop the pcb making contact with the metal directly.

sound like the sort of dodgey unprofessional approach i would take...!!!!

so its most probably ill advised at best.

sounds like a good idea actually! I guess all you need is a multimeter to do a continuity test. no 'beep' and you're set..

Guest strumluff

would the nail varnish be at risk of being scratched? I guess I could always do, 2 - 3 coatings :P

Edited by strumluff

I am not sure about mounting it in a tin. I know that most 3 channel amp won't allow it since the input ground and output ground is different and in a metal enclosure, the input and output ground is connected via the tin. Will the experts please confirm this? Jason?

Just make sure that only the input and output ground of the headphone jack is short to the tin and nothing else. ;)

Guest strumluff

If i was to coat the inside of the tin with nail varnish or scotch tape or whatever, wouldnt all the panel mounted components still cause a short to the tin?

I can see it will stop the pcb shorting to the tin, but the the volume pot is connected to the pcb and that in turn mounted to the tin. The switch, led, headphone jacks will all be mounted to the tin and then hooked to the pcb with wire. Would that approach work or is that wrong? Sorry I dont understand this concept of what exactly is grounded and what isnt.

A plastic sheet is recommended to place under the PCB to prevent short to the components lead.

The shorting of the pot turn mount is ok.

The switch, led, headphone jacks will all be mounted to the tin and then hooked to the pcb with wire. Would that approach work or is that wrong?

That, also ok. :))

Since the mention part (pot, switch and LED) won't have electrical properties when mount to the tin.

Ok, I had a relook at the schematic. For the CMOY2, it IS ok to connect input and output ground together. The GROUND opamp is only to buffer the virtual ground from the resistor divider. So a tin is ok. Sorry, my mistake.

Guest strumluff

Ok thanks guys, no worries heady, its a relief that it wont be a pain to mount in to the tin, just a plastic sheet sounds good :)

Every one make mistake. Even I, do it everyday. The more mistake you make the smarter you become.

In that case, I must be among the smartest guys around. :grin: But if I am so smart, how come I didn't know I am smart? :lol:

Edited by heady

taken my time over the last couple of nights and today i finished my Cmoy2...

just a shame the wife dosnt share my excitement and a few of my mates think ive gone mad..

but im happy as and there all sad people who dont know the fun to be had.

here is the PCB...

IPB Image

here she is in the case...

IPB Image

and with the lid on..

IPB Image

i stuck to the original plan except im using a 12Vdc PSU instead of a 9V battery.

im using a SB Audigy 2 NX and a pair of Sein HD500's.

as i mostly listen to Rock/Reggae/Dub i have to say the bass sounds very nice indeed..a massive improvement over the sound card alone.

i know the enclosure is a bit minging, but as a first project i wanted an enclosure that would be very easy to drill and had plenty of room to play with...

my only concern now is what project to do next ?