jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

whats the deal with the braiding of the audio cables ?

is this something that should be done as often as possible #?

Braiding the wires are supposed to make the wires less prone to interference from radio and other electromagnetic waves. If you have seen Cat5 network cables, the wires are twisted in pairs and each pair is twisted with the other pairs. Works on the same principle, but braiding is prettier and the only time men can braid without being called a sissy. :P

finally the components i ordered from farnell came, erm, why doesnt my op-amp have sockets?

do i have to order them separately?

Opamp does not come with socket. Farnell should have them under 'connectors'.

Anyway, i make small changes to my box so i can use single rechargable or two alkaline in parallel.

IPB Image

Thanks. I wish the american version of farnell (newark.com) had the nice prictures that au.farnell does. I am going to have to do my searching there and then find it on newark.com.

Newark.com no longer has the Alps 290070 pot listed on their site. Can anyone take a look arround and see if there is a comparable one there? I can't seem to find one but I might be looking for the wrong thing.

I was thinking of buying my supplies from mouser but they do not carry the LM617 and you have to buy 1000 of the Alps pots there lol. Is the BUF634P a direct drop in replacement for the LM6171BIN? Mouser does carry the LM617BIN. So close yet so far away :) It looks like others have been looking for an alps replacement on mouser. Did anyone have any luck?

Edited by BlakeN

Newark.com no longer has the Alps 290070 pot listed on their site. Can anyone take a look arround and see if there is a comparable one there? I can't seem to find one but I might be looking for the wrong thing.

I was thinking of buying my supplies from mouser but they do not carry the LM617 and you have to buy 1000 of the Alps pots there lol. Is the BUF634P a direct drop in replacement for the LM6171BIN? Mouser does carry the LM617BIN. So close yet so far away :) It looks like others have been looking for an alps replacement on mouser. Did anyone have any luck?

It is not a drop in replacement... The pins aren't the same. If you want to use it, you'll have to rewire some of the traces. It's all in the data sheets.

On another note, LM6171 has the same pins as other op-amps. So I'm assuming you just need an op-amp with about 80mA (Assuming you want to drive higher impedence headphones). Not sure if you need a flat gain from 0Hz to 20KHz.

Edited by pegasus21

You can use the BUF634 instead of the LM6171, if you do some mods to the pcb. You will need to disconnect the pin 3 from the output by cutting the trace from pin 3. And re-direct the input from pin 2 to pin 3 by jumpering them together.

Why not just look for other single opamp? There should be many others out there.

Edited by heady

LM6171BIN is operational amplifier, BUF634P is amp buffer, thay are not compatible to each other directly!, Dont swap them or you may just might burn something on your board.

Edited by ClieOS

I will just buy the LM6171BIN from newark or somewhere else then. For some reason I thought I read that it was a replacement. Now I just need to find a POT. I know very little about building circuts so I am not going to try to do anything fancy. I need to get some books or something so I can read the data sheets and start designing my own some day ;) I have too many hobbies as is though.

Jason it is Asuka from Evangelion. I wish I had more time to watch anime. I realy want to start watching Bleach but I havent gotten arround to it.

I recieved an email from newark today. They said I can call and order the alps pot but it is not available via the webpage. They are out of stock and the lead time is 105 days. Me reading the email --> :lol::rclxub::angry::cry: What a joke.

Edited by BlakeN

If you need the alps pots, you can try this place...

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/shop/

Note: The alps there are slightly more fully featured in that they have a switch integrated into the pot. Rather useful as you won't need a seperate switch to on/off it.

They should have it in stock although you'll have to pay a bit more.

Spec sheets are available on the manufacturer's site most of the time.

Edited by pegasus21

If you need the alps pots, you can try this place...

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/shop/

Note: The alps there are slightly more fully featured in that they have a switch integrated into the pot. Rather useful as you won't need a seperate switch to on/off it.

They should have it in stock although you'll have to pay a bit more.

Spec sheets are available on the manufacturer's site most of the time.

The tangent pot is meant for the pcbs that tangent sells, eg PINT. This pot will not fit onto the CMOY2 pcb. However, I prefer this pot and uses it with my CMOY2 because it reduce the space for a switch on the front panel. Obviously, I did not solder it to the pcb.