Sign in to follow this  
renesis

alessandro's in singapore? and other questions

I doubt I'd be able to get an audition as I will getting my uncle to pick a pair up when he stops over in Singapore for a few days. Well as I said before I found that my friends recently purchased Beyers sounded rather dark, although it could have just been the case the source, a computer with integrated sound isn't up to scratch.

In the price list, there doesnt seem to be any mention of the Sennheisers. After doing some reading I'm interested in the HD555's but they seem to be out of my price range, would any of you guys know the local prices for these, as well as the Beyer DTX900?

Thanks guys for the help.

Hi Renesis,

ANYTHING would sound bad on integrated sound lol.

I wouldnt recommend the DTX900. i doubt the HD555s will fit your budget, i've forgotten the price, but i do remember the HD595s retail for somewhere ard S$399 here so perhaps it might be ard $250?

haha, i'd agree with you Wil. but my friend doesn't seem to mind as he uses them mainly for games. going round and round, it always comes down to the SR60s, as anything lower than the hd555s seem to be mediocre. now do u guys recommend i get some other pads for the grados as they seem to be available cheaply in sg (from the price list)?

For the SR60 u can get another set of pad and cut a hole on it. Some sort of a mod that bring out more bass. For yr case i think u will not be wrong getting SR60 or SR80.. laugh.gif

For the SR60 u can get another set of pad and cut a hole on it. Some sort of a mod that bring out more bass. For yr case i think u will not be wrong getting SR60 or SR80.. laugh.gif

This reminds me of an episode a while ago...someone offering to cut holes for XXX amount of money? rolleyes.gif

This reminds me of an episode a while ago...someone offering to cut holes for XXX amount of money? rolleyes.gif

Don't slam it. Maybe he uses Gold non-magnetic scissors and cut only in one direction, clockwise. This will accentuate the spin of the electrons in the wire coils of the tranducers thereby producing far superior sound. Only people with golden ears can appreciate. Are your ears good enough for it? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

(Gee, I don't know if the mods will blackmark me for being silly but I couldn't resist it. innocent.gif )

But seriously, how much are the spare pads for SR60? I realise they really sponge up the sweat... ugh.

Edited by heady

Sorry didn't get the joke, maybe not enough of a head-fier to understand it. in regards to how much the pads are, these are copied from the prices sticky:

Grado Bowl Pads, Music By Design, S$15/pair.

Grado Soft Pads, Music By Design, S$15/pair.

I'm not sure if they are still current, but they don't cost too so it may be worth it to give them a go. i'm assuming these will fit the sr60s.

i figured that if i imported directly from alessandro the cost would be around AUD125 assuming free shipping applies to australia as well. and from the sticky again, the difference in price between importing the MS1 (roughly SGD150 for u singaporeans) and SR60 (being SGD120) is an extra $30. Would anyone in here be able to offer any opinions between the two?

Well, this is a "hush hush" thing. Need some digging into the archieves. wink.gif

I think you can try your luck in the head-fi forum's classifieds section. There are a bunch of australians looking to selling stuffs and suchs. You'll never know when you'll pick up a good deal. biggrin.gif

imo the ms1's are better then the sr60's and sr80's. just get some from headphonic. you'd be hard pressed to find a better pair of value headphones....

The earpads mod are not recommended for the SR60, they tend to make the SR60 sound overly bright, I find them abit shrill at times. Stick with the default comfy pads, can't go wrong with them.

In the price list, there doesnt seem to be any mention of the Sennheisers. After doing some reading I'm interested in the HD555's but they seem to be out of my price range, would any of you guys know the local prices for these, as well as the Beyer DTX900?

Yes apparently no decent Senns will fit your budget, so it would be better to go for something like the Grado's that many of our board members regard really favourably. The pads to get for Grado's/Alessandro's are the flat pads, but the investment is most probably not justified for the SR-60's based on cost ratio.

Purely from my reading (and I do read quite a lot wink.gif ), the MS-1's are said to be better than the SR-60/80's and even the SR-125's for some, which mirrors skyscraper's impressions. They are also known to be great bang for the buck cans, so definitely worth some consideration.

And there's no conspiracy or anything, so no need to "hush hush" lah. A search should yield some insights for those who have too much free time on their hands, but I seriously think there's no need to blow things out of proportion here. tongue.gif

Skyscraper do you think it is worth buying from Headphonic, when I could just import directly from Alessandro and save something like AUD25? This may sound like a silly question, but what is the probability of a pair of headphones needing to be returned for warranty purposes? Otherwise at this stage the MS1 and the SR60 are the best bets. I've been doing a lot of reading (there was a thread in Head-Fi that had been going on for a year and I don't think the thread starter has yet to make his decision) where the guys decision is roughly similar to mine. The AT-A500's have been getting a good wrap lately, has anyone tried these or is able to make a direct comparison between them and either the MS1's or SR60's?

marcus at headphonic is a great guy, really helpful. like REALLY helpful. plus you'll get em in a day or two. ordering direct from alessandro, their support is a bit flakey and it will take longer to get em. when the price is that close i say order from headphonic.

ok so it comes down to either the MS1's or A500's. Now my other question is which do you guys recommend for easy listening after a hard days worth of work/play/study? I've heard people harp on about how uncomfortable the MS1's are and how comfortable the A500's are, so could you guys give me your opinions? Thanks for clarifying it all.