Sign in to follow this  
Yon

Headphone amplifier?

While we are on the topic, anyone tried the Creek OBH-21?

Check out the review here. The search button is your best friend! wink.gif

But has anyone tried them, saw them at alpha audio yesterday.$600++ i think...... i think only tongue.gif

Is there much different using a delicated hp amp and using say, integrated amp with hp out or yamaha receiver with hp out?

Depending on the amp itself, I prefer the integrated Cary SLI80 to the my Corda HA1 mk1

Hi everyone, i would like to ask a favour from u guys. See, i was using the PA2V2(from the MO) for a couple of weeks and i really like the way it sounded. On impulse, i got a XIN smv3, thinking it will be much better than the PA2V2. On the first listen, it sounded great. But as a couple of days went by, i just felt that i prefer the PA2V2(great highs, lows and airy sound). The smv3 just didnt come close to the PA2V2. I gave the smv3 maybe a 100 hour burn-in time, changed the op-amp, and i still prefer the PA2V2 over the smv3. And u know the price difference between the 2. hammer.gifhammer.gif

Thus, i'm suspecting there is something wrong with my smv3, but i dont want to sent it back to xin then return saying there is nothing wrong with the amp. So, could anyone with these 2 amps, kindly tell me if my ears are correct, or my equipment is faulty? I also notice that there is a very slight hissing sound from the smv3 when i am in a very quiet enviroment. Is there any kind soul out there with a smv3 that will allow me to check if there is any difference between my smv3 and his?

Thanks, Sam

Perhaps the supermacro is too forward a sound to you? What opamp are you using? I once had the PA2V2 and I can understand your situation. Firstly you must know the dollar to value gets significantly lower as you climb up the audiophile world. There comes a point where people who will pay thousands for a 1% increase in sonic performance. With the PA2V2, you can sense the "difference" instantly from unamped to amped. But when you compare amps to amps, you sometimes need a better ear for it. At first I couldn't differentiate my Shure E5c from my Aiwa earphones untill my gf "educated" me on sonic signatures. I suggest you try a variety of music genres for amp testing. Certain pop songs may suck on a acoustically tuned amp. etc

I suspect you prefer laid back or warm sounding signatures to forward sounds. The supermacro in my opinion is more forward based as an amp while the PV2V2 is more warm and laid. I prefer my Porta Corda II to my Supermacro V1 for such reasons. Also, being expensive doesn't necessarily mean better to the listener.

I have no idea what is the reason for your hissing sound but for the PV2V2, certain batteries do make a difference to the sonic signature. What batts are you using? I'm know there's a couple of guys who has got the Macro 3. Do wait for responses then.

Rgds,

dear idkfa,

Thanks very much for ur reply, it is very comforting to know that someone might have an idea of what i am going through. Perhaps i am not sure how to express myself. I am currently using the AD744, which i quite like the way the frequencies are amplified. What the ad744 in the smv3 lack is that the sound is not revolving around ur head. It has a very narrow soundstage, although the imaging is great/precise. Very much like listening to front speakers. The PA2V2 is much wider, very similar to a surround system-and i love it. This really gets me involves in the music. May i know if this is known as forwardness/laid back? And frankly, i do like synthesize sounds very much, especially those high treble notes. So, there are virtually no classical in my cd collection.

For the batteries, i have been using the GP batteries, which does have a higher current/voltage output than any batteries i have tested on the market. Though i believe this is not the source of the problem as i had use the included transformer with same results. Will be testing with a regulated power supply somtime later once i get back from my overseas trip.

Btw, my system goes like this, DEJ-2000(Europe,using power supply)--VEN DEN HUL 102MK3/cheapo silver cable----smv3/PA2V2---ER6is/Sr-60

I like experimenting with cables alot, and i do hear difference in some of them. Same goes to my PDCP with or without the power supply. happy.gifhappy.gif Any more meet to exchange and test out different equipments/tweaks? yeah.gifyeah.gif

A possible reason for the hiss might be the low impedence cans that you are using. I have always believed that the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. With the IEM & cans you are using, you might not be experiencing the full strengths of the SMV3.

My experiences with both still lead me to prefer the sound of the SMV3 with OPA 627. The real question, as you have stated, is whether the price difference is worth the improvement.

In terms of value, the PAV2 is a no brainer and I recommend it as a great starter amp.

Yon,

If you've heard the Grado RA-1 amplifier with the Senn HD-600 (300ohm) you'll realise how good a pair they make.

The Grado RA-1 amp is like a wake up call for the Senn IMO of couse and is one of the better commercial amps for that headphone in it's price class.