matbon0013

What are you listening to NOW!

user posted image

A love affair - the music of Ivan Lins - Telarc (CD-83496)

Ivan Lins’ songs combine complex harmonies with highly singable melodies. Though born in Rio de Janeiro, the 55-year-old is no stranger to the United States or its music. He spent several formative years in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and his first musical memories date back to the songs of Stephen Foster and Walt Disney. Upon relocating to his native Brazil, Elis Regina recorded his "Madalena," and in 1981 George Benson covered "Dinorah, Dinorah" on his million-selling Give Me the Night. Lins later won a Grammy for the song "Velas" on Quincy Jones’ album, The Dude. Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Lee Ritenour and others have all covered his tunes, yet Lins has never received the recognition as a composer that he deserves.

The New York Times describes the music of Ivan Lins as "romantic and sophisticated." In concert and in the recording studio, Brazilian singer/keyboardist/composer Ivan Lins stands out as a performer whose musical roots have sprouted into a sound that belongs to the whole global village. As San Francisco Chronicle music critic Jesse Hamlin observed, Lins "sings with a singular mix of sweetness and passion" and "has the gift of creating shapely melodies of profound simplicity (wrapped) in ingenious arrangements that unfold in unexpected ways." The universal language of music is truly personified in this gifted artist whose dialect has been joyously embraced by audiences worldwide.

On A Love Affair—The Music of Ivan Lins, a stellar cast of pop and jazz stars interprets the repertoire of Brazil’s leading pop songwriter. This blockbuster tribute visits some of Lins’ most famous material with a decidedly contemporary approach. This collection conveys the spirit of Brazilian music as a living tradition, and Lins’ songs manage to be infinitely versatile without losing their own identity. With its contemporary sensibility nudging the music out of a purely Brazilian box, A Love Affair—The Music of Ivan Lins is a must for pop and jazz fans, as well as aficionados of Ivan Lins.

"Ivan Lins is one of the most romantic and magical musicians and composers of our time. His music is, as they would say in Brazil, 'Bellaza Purall'." -- Quincy Jones

"Ivan writes some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard—music that makes you sing from your soul. There is a teardrop in every song, be it of joy or of sadness." -- Dianne Reeves

Enjoy..... wink.gif

user posted image

Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone - Telarc Surround (SACD-63562)

This is one final gift that Ray Brown has left behind —a brilliant recording with pianist Monty Alexander and guitarist Russell Malone that showcases the individual and collective talents of three fine jazzmen playing a mix of standards as well as their own compositions. Ray Brown, Monty Alexander and Russell Malone, is a collection of eleven tracks that merges the formidable talents of a veteran bassist, a versatile cross-cultural pianist and a young lion of jazz guitar. It was released just days before he died in his sleep during a tour stop at Indianapolis on July 2, 2002.

Bassist Ray Brown was a pioneer in bebop and a contemporary of Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Bud Powell. His artistic credits ranged from the recording studio to the international jazz stage to television, and his half-century resume includes an impressive string of Grammys and other awards.

user posted image

A tribute to Ray Brown, the world's premier bassist for the decade. wink.gif

Oh, here is a special XRCD2 version of "the best of ......Sandy 2003". My beloved Sandy is here again....

user posted image

Warner Music HK + JVC XRCD2 >> 5050466-5464-2-5 (made in Japan)

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

lovely songs, both new and old classic.... wink.gif

tee, nice to know that you like chopin too.

right now actually i am waiting for my "chopin: favourite piano works" by ashkenazy.

hmv is taking FOREVER TO SHIP IT.. mad2.gif

and, oh, right now i'm listening to..

J.S. Bach - Cello Suite No.1 in G Major BWV 1007, II, Allemande

the cardigans - long gone before daylight

this is a great album, got it secondhand cheap and scratchless(!) and it simply rocks.

perfect if you like great female vocals and great lyrics combined with slightly melancholy and soulful tunes..

user posted image

Edited by adhoc

Tee,

Thanks for some of the tips. I also have some of the cds U owned...............dare say our taste in jazz is pretty close.

adhoc - yes, Chopin's music is poetic and this feel is somehow recaptured in modern time by listening to another interesting composer / pianist, Kelvin Kern. Most of his signature tunes can be found in the album "More than Words" as Blues had posted.

Some of Kelvin's very nice albums are :

The winding path

user posted image

In my life

user posted image

Summer daydreams

user posted image

In the enchanted garden

user posted image

my gfren loves all these pieces and they help to keep her occupied while waiting patiently in jakarta.

mackie / adhoc - highly recommended to you too.

wub.gifwink.gif

Have all of these........got the first album when it was first released.......at least 5 years ago....."Enchanted Garden" is still my favourite. There's also a X'mas Album in Kevin Kern's discography.

coldplay - a rush of blood to the head

party.gifparty.gifparty.gif

yeah.. I have winding path and more than words(the best compilation)

he rocks!!!

Secret Graden-Dream Catcher (2001)

user posted image

Eric Clapton Unplugged (1992)

user posted image

The Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto/The Yellow River Paino Concerto (1992)

user posted image

Edited by mychew