jasonhanjk

Language that you speak?

CHOOSE!!!  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i would add that apart from singlish, a mixture of localised mandarin with dialects and english could be another option for many of us. Also, imagery language provides another dimention to our appreciation of the music and thoughts. wink.gif

Mandarin is quite specific, infact a standard language. When you say Malay I assume you mean Bahasa Melayu the standard. As the dialect for Malaysian Malay alone varies greatly, not to mention Indonesian & Bruneian which has at least 3 (Bandar, Tutong, Belait/Seria) to my knowledge.

I can understand and speak malay and english. For chinese, I can understand well but having a slight difficulty to use it biggrin.gif

Actually N@Z, Mandarin is a dialect (linguistically speaking). It was the form of speech and official written form used by the mandarins (ie civil servants) in imperial china. Cantonese has a written form as well. As such the Beijing Mandarin is quite distinct to say Singaporean Mandarin (differences are mainly in speech, snetence structure etc.

However, all languages are like living organisms, they evolve over space and time.So the Mandarin spoken and written in imperial chinal 1000 years ago was different from that 500 years ago (even within the same geographical region).

Singapore English as 4 dialets.

Bad enough I have to cope with Singlish & now you're telling me there 3 others?!

I speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Singlish, Proper English(i mean English that is not in a Singlish way tongue.gif ), learning Bahasa Melayu and know a little bit(a few words only, to talk to girls heehee laugh.gif ) of Tagalog as I have a lot of Philipno colleagues

I speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Singlish, Proper English(i mean English that is not in a Singlish way tongue.gif ), learning Bahasa Melayu and know a little bit(a few words only, to talk to girls heehee laugh.gif ) of Tagalog as I have a lot of Philipno colleagues

wah u sure get to "sian" a lot of girls! happy.gif

wah u sure get to "sian" a lot of girls! happy.gif

hmm...should be they "sian" me tongue.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif