Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Grados HF-1 or 325i

:S

Grados HF-1, 225 voice coil on wooden resonant chambers.. 225s have freq range of 20hz to 20khz

grados 325i... metal resonant chambers.. coil frequency of 18hz to 22khz i think..

:S:S

which one better? arhhhhh

Grados HF-1, 225 voice coil on wooden resonant chambers.. 225s have freq range of 20hz to 20khz

grados 325i... metal resonant chambers.. coil frequency of 18hz to 22khz i think..

HF-1

I'll go for the HF-1.. then if i don't like it, i can sell it off for a higher price than i bought it for (i'm sure there will be pple willing to pay higher) and buy a sr225 with cash to spare laugh.gif

i believe the hf-1 wont sound any worse than the 225s.. after all same coil, similar make, just different driver housing etc.. definitely sound better, with a description of better bass etc

arhh :S

It's inaccurate to gauge the merits of a certain headphones based on technical specifications. A wider frequency response does not guarantee superior sound over another with a relatively narrower frequency spectrum. Afterall humans can only hear what between 20-20KHz and even then, the aural perception of each individual is also different. Just my opinion.

Edited by Mackie

It's inaccurate to gauge the merits of a certain headphones based on technical specifications. A wider frequency response does not guarantee superior sound over another with a relatively narrower frequency spectrum. Afterall humans can only hear what between 20-20KHz and even then, the aural perception of each individual is also different. Just my opinion.

definitely we shouldnt compare headphones by specs if they are of different build, diff resonant chamber size and brands, and designs, i.e. supra vs circumference designs, but when they are of almost the same build, and of the same coil design and material, i guess frequency response has a part to play?

we can possibly hear only down to 20hz, and given a subwoofer with lowest frequency response of 20hz, and another one of 10hz, when both produce the 20hz frequency, there should be some audible difference in the performance.

i used to be an electric bassist a few years back, and my 80 watt bass amp used a 12 inch celestion driver. i had another electric guitar amp on a 6 inch driver. the bass amp had a much lower frequency spectrum vs the guitar amp..cant remember the exact figures but it hovered around 18-22hz i guess

but when you play bass on both, it seems that the amp with the 6 inch driver, had the ability to reproduce the note, but lacks the tight deep punch of the other.

it could be many factors, cabinet design, cone material and blahblahblah, for the 6 inch driver to sound better you probably could increase cabinet size, but its not acoustically favourable, resonance etc.

by virtue of the differences in frequency response, the bass amp probably didnt have to strain it self as much as the electric guitar amp in producing the low frequencies, there was much more control. if you are some physics expert there's some formula linking frequency & driver frequency response with amplitude or something..

most high end headphones i.e. the dt 880s, staxs, akgs, they probably feature 5-10hz to 30khz or 35khz in some cases as a frequency range.. the coil can reproduce 20hz to 20khz (our hearing range) with better "ease"?

ah well. guess you are right too. that aural perceptions of each individuals are different tongue.gif

I also agree with your point of view but in this context, the entire chain has to be considered. If the source and/or amp is not capable of producing what the drivers are capable of the end result is still nought. Also an amp with less headroom tends to saturate at signal peaks and duly breaks up, resulting in high distortion which is often the most common killer of drivers, esp the tweeters in speakers.

In your earlier discussion, you've correctly defined the advantages and characteristics of "headroom". An important factor if one is considering to buy a new amp....especially with speakers with difficult load.

Nope... but you compare with 325i probably 325i a bit better... I am not sure... Hf 1 its special edition dude...

So go to HF 1 if you got felling very good... I saw many people already ordered.

HF-1

What the ...?

Edited by Rameish

Lol, reminds me of the character limit on Head-fi to stop people from making monosyllabic replies.

Anyway I think the HF-1 is a great idea, and I might be getting one, but not until I've read some reviews. Todd mentioned that it's not really a limited edition as he can get more if there's demand, so I'm holding out for now.