adhoc

where to buy denon in singapore?

oh and one more thing that's confusing me.

fishball79,

what's a transport? w00t.gif

and i assume when you say DA you mean DAC?

blink.gif

still newbie what.. you all must understand.. ppth.gif

Adhoc,

Apologies for not explaining, transport refers to the lens assembly and the internal support for it.

DA = DAC yeah.

firefox,

noted. thanks.

fishball79,

no problem. btw hrmm, i have a friend working in philips in engineering, does this mean i can upgrade my transport by ordering superior parts direct from her?

anyone got info on where to look at the C521i in singapore? am getting very very interested in it. party.gif

adhoc,

No, the transport is a combination of laser head and the chassis inside the cd player which it is held and moved about... You COULD get spare laser assemblies in case a cd player stops reading cds but still powers on.

You can get the NAD c521i from Hung Brothers but I'd suggest hunting for a lower price elsewhere. I'll be in camp most of the week so I couldn't possibly arrange for you to listen to mine.

How important is a cd player that can read CD-RW? I thought CD-R would be sufficient... which my 12yr old player does! Teac roolz party.gif

woah adhoc your requirements of cdp for $500 is too high liao. maybe you'll like to up your budget or reduce your requirements? cool.gif

3. 20/24bit sound w/ upsampling

cdp with upsampling alone costs way over $500.

3. decent headphone out & -good- coaxial out (for future amp)

most headphone out of cdps are an after thought and they might not be of outstanding quality. might as well get a cmoy and you'll have much better than most inbuilt headphone out.

4. mp3 compatability

quite hard for higher end cdps with good sound.

How important is a cd player that can read CD-RW? I thought CD-R would be sufficient... which my 12yr old player does! Teac roolz party.gif

Some people use CD-RW's to burn music CD's which they can erase and write another when they want a change of songs. Although I don't really advise it. Even CDR's can & do sound different/ worse than originals. I've only had luck with Mitsui Gold (As good as the original) & Ricoh CDR's (6N there). Heh..

Firefox,

I was sh*t happy it could play cd-rs liao... want a change of songs burn another cd-r lah... but an ipod would suit this type of listening style better...

Yeah Ricoh Gold ones are good. Genesis Loudspeakers new owner has written a LOOOONG article that concludes an external burner burning at 4x using black cd-rs sounds better than original...

Cant find such cd-rs nor have an external burner so can't try...

should try either tdk or mitsubishi ones....they are good for burning music...even picky car cd players would play them just fine!

evil zen,

actually, both the denon dcm380 and the c521i have 8x upsampling. both are 20bit also. tongue.gif

after all your input, i think i should rewrite my preferences:

1. good sound- preferably 20bit (or higher biggrin.gif) w/ upsampling, but if it sounds extraordinary, i dont mind.

2. good price

3. good looks

4. reliability

5. remote

and anyway, as for cd-rs, thankfully i have one of the better burners on the market - liteon 52x24x52x. just get the ricoh golds and burn at 1x and you almost wont be able to tell the difference.

fishball79, do you have a link to that looooooooooooooooooong article? tongue.gif

and does anyone have some tech specs on the cd6000ose and ose-le versions? the marantz website is pathetically skimpy on information. mad.gif

so far the contenders are

1. denon dcm-380

2. nad c521i

3. marantz cd7300

4. marantz cd6000 ose (le?) [not sure]

does anyone have comments on NAD products? i have a friend who tells me that they generally sound better than denon products.

cd6000OSE is selling for $499 at one of the shops in SLS

dont remember which one though. wink.gif

this setup will be used almost exclusively for headphones listening only. so mackie, you'd better go through the entire shipment of dt880s when they come and pick the 'nicest' one for me k? heh. lol.gif

heheh... don't worry mate, I will be your contender in this biggrin.gif