adhoc

where to buy denon in singapore?

hello all, am buying my first dedicated -higher quality- cd player. no more micro hifi for me anymore! ppth.gif

anyway, have shortlisted and am seriously considering the denon dcm-380.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DCM380_280.pdf

it is abt USD$225, so maybe it'll be $500 max here right?

$500 is my budget, anyone know where to get this model at a good price or has recommendations for other models that are <$500?

thanks! kicking.gif

Adhoc, hold on to your horses for the moment. With a budget of $500, U have a fairly wide selection of some really good cdps. May I know if a cd-changer is a prequisite or sound quality which is of the utmost importance to U? Have U done auditions to arrive at this decision to buy this particular Denon model?

Adhoc,

Maybe less. Japanese products aren't that expensive in Singapore. Other brands to consider for $500 is Rotel RCD-02, Marantz CD6000OSE and perhaps some good 2nd hand ones.

Yeah.....second Fishball's suggestions. If U need help on used units, I can scour them for U in the other forums too. Most importantly, U must hang around Adelphi for a few days to try out different cdps. Start with KEC on the ground floor as they offer good service and kind advice to newbies.

adhoc,

Key to choosing what you want is to audition all possible products with the same music and equipment. Perhaps you could bring a few of your favourite and/or high fidelity cds, cans and amp?

Unless you have an ear for music, you wouldn't have a reference to compare to and hence would find any of the reccomended cd players sounding good. I think what one wants is to find the player that does all or most of the music one listens to best.

Have they put you off buying a new source yet adhoc? laugh.gif

Go ahead & try out that Denon you're contemplating. Bring your fav CDs & your DT880. After auditioning it then try out some of the other suggestions made here. If you can't tell a difference between any of them then go for the best value (not necessarily cheapest but with features you will use, remote, digital out for future, etc). At least that way you know you've tried it rather than not knowing at all.

maybe adhoc wants the mp3 function? he he...maybe someone can start a power buy for cdp...it'll be great! cool.gif

Denon are great all rounders with good chassis design and decent usability. However, it's strength lies in its DA, not the transport. Hence if you want to buy this with the intention of 'upgrading' the DA for better sound (not worth it) or support for SACD/DVD-A (not possible), you are better off looking else where.

Marantz CD4000 or a solid Pioneer, Teac or Sony ES would suit this job better

Maybe you guys can help adhoc by recommending him what shops he can go to for particular brands which suit his budget, that'll not only help him but other newbies such as myself to check it out.... happy.gif

a multi cd player is not going to sound better than a single cd player at the same price since money has to be spent building the changer. in addition, the cd changer has more reliability issues. and in the event that the cd player is damaged, more CDs are going to get harmed. sleep.gif one of my cd changer got struck by lightning and damaged 3 cds together with the cd player.

evil-zen

Thats cos cd player not grounded and had no protection. Cheapo design. Saw isn't your Denon cdp ungrounded as well? 2 pin power cord right? Better do something about that... wink.gif

shouldn't the power trip before going through the cd player?

i rather unplug my hifi rather than paying for your airplane trip to SAW my cdp.

ok all,

here are my priorities.

1. good sound

2. cdr/cdrw compatible

3. 20/24bit sound w/ upsampling

3. decent headphone out & -good- coaxial out (for future amp)

4. mp3 compatability

5. remote

6. of course, style

7. must be NEW, as i intend to keep this for more than 5 years.

it would be great if any of you could help me scour the other forums (a lvls.. gotta study.. yucky.gif). or help me find out more about the teac, pioneer and sony models.

so far i'm mulling over the nad C521i and the denon DCM 380. actually i DID NOT KNOW that the cd6000ose is selling for <$500 here.. i'm a real newbie to getting myself a cdp. prior to joining sgheadphones, my idea of sonic bliss was a sony discman. heh. you all have really really raised the benchmark.

and thanks so much guys. you all are great.. really. i actually was not expecting so many replies. wub.gif

ok update so far these are some prices i've been able to find. these prices are meant to be a guide and give me and you all an idea of where the prices are going.

nad 521 (non-I version) - $340

marantz cd400 - $219

both from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/merdeka-sg/hom...eo-systems.html

anyone else got any ideas where else i can find prices online? or anyone remember prices they saw?

and of course, could someone please point me in the right direction where i can audition stuff? what i'm worried abt is that due to my tender age (18, & single if you're wondering. heh.), they might not take me seriously.

this setup will be used almost exclusively for headphones listening only. so mackie, you'd better go through the entire shipment of dt880s when they come and pick the 'nicest' one for me k? heh. lol.gif