N@Z

CD-R & CD-RW

Saw this being discussed in adhoc's CD recommendation thread:

Quote from firefox - 'Mitsui Gold (As good as the original) & Ricoh CDR's (6N there)'

Quote from fishball79 - 'Black CD-R'

Can I get the exact brand/model name so I can look for these CDs. How much do they cost? Any other recommendations.

oh and yes, since I think it would be propriate to ask it here also..

does copying from cd rom(using nero , cd to cd) degrade the sound quality ? I thought it's bit to bit perfect?

hm..

I recommend TDK or Mitsubishi. They are quite cheap, durable and most players are receptive to it. Even sensitive car cd players would accept it!

I suggest you go for CDR and not cdrw. A stack of 100 TDK cds would only set you back about $45 (ie 45 cents per disc)(from SLS Lvl 6 shop that sells mainly CDs which i think is called z-nix), why bother with a cdrw? If you can afford >$500 to buy you equipment, surely you can spare some of this cash?

I've been using the TDK for ages now (at least 3 years) and I find them to be the most compatible cd either for car cd, normal cd players, computer cd player and even Playstation 1 & 2! kicking.gif

you can directly burn mp3 to cd format using nero....been doing like for at least 200+ cds for my friends and brother who runs a pub

In theory yes but the burn process is where the degradation occurs as it depends on the quality of the laser & transport during burning. Which will bring the question to what are the recommeneded CD-R/RW burners?

Thanks for your recommendation blacknight but my question is specifically on best audio quality & not on cost or reliable burns.

CD-Rs make up a pretty small portion of the factors affecting sound. Ripping and burning is more important.

That said, my reccs are Ricoh & TDK burnt at 4x via EAC. If possible external cd writer with proper dampening and isolation like a real cd player as well as an improved powr supply instead of a wal wart.

i read somewhere that it is best to burn audio cds between the speeds of 4x to 12x max. This is to ensure the burn is complete and even on the cd and it'll last longer also. Of course there is also another factor - the quality of the initial source!

trying using EAC for extraction and burning. it has built in facilities for burning too.

well my theory i've developed so far is that its best not to burn at too high speeds. for example, recent cdrw drive with 48/52X CDr write speeds, the highest i try to go is 24x but normally i go for 12x just to be extra safe. the reason is because at below 24X (for recent burners), the drive burns it at constant speed. at beyond 24x, the drive will 'jump' from from 32x to 40x to 48x etc depending on the speed of rotation on different parts of the CDr. thus a CDr can be burned at 24x for the inner part and progressively change to higher speeds at the outer part. best to burn at one constant speed.

the popular theory of burning at highest 4x probably comes from older burners which cannot support burning beyond 4x stably. newer technology has made it possible to burn at constant higher speed. burning at 4x now is probably a waste of time.

as for different dye types, i'll try to go for reliable ones like taiyo yuden or mitsubitshi. some companies like TDK or imation have different manufactors making the CDrs for them. sometimes its taiyo yuden and sometimes its CMC magnetics which is not really good. it all depends on your luck or research on what dye/manufactor they are using. and some CDr can be read better than others and it all depends on the dye/manufactor. some equipment doesn't read cdr too well.

the above is my theory i've concluded so far.

FYI Taiyo Yuden cds are quite hard to find.. but you will usually find them in verbatim cds...the price is also more ex...not sure by how much though!

Evil-zen: the theory of 4x is also due to some cd players reading media burned at 4x much better than other speeds...but i feel the theory of data integrity is still more plausible...

i have come across a article on CDRs at xtremeplace.

maybe mackie will know about it.

in the article, the author recommends black CDRs over other CDRs to copy your music CDs. He has tried over hundreds of brands of CDRs and some CDRW drives. Alot of effort!

i will try to find it and post it on monday night when i'm home wink.gif

interesting..

I think I've also heard of dedicated cd player cum copier..

marantz make some..

I believe they say the quality is very close to original!!

ok this is the article i'm talking about.

anyway, fishball has posted this link in another thread.

i'm just "moving" it in here

Article

never knew about that...but black cds are quite hard to find? not many brands for it...so far the only one i heard which was realiable is the one from Imation...don't know about the cost or which shops carry it though but should be able to find it in SLS

I've got a question. Has anybody actually tried listening to the same CD burnt onto 2 different CD-Rs and detected a difference?