Sign in to follow this  
Song of Songs

Headphone from CDP

Hi Bros,

I want to get a pair of HP use direct from my CDP. May I know which all rounder should I get? Price-Not more than $150. Tks.

Edited by Song of Songs

Are you looking for 'open' or 'closed', 'supra-aural' or 'circum-aural', clip-on, in-ear, earbuds, yada yada...

There are many types of headphones around. It really depends on what you are looking for.

earbuds are the most basic (come stock with most pcdps). In ear monitors are those which go deep into your ear canal and provides the best isolation.

For headphones (not earphones), open ones leak sound, closed ones don't leak sound. So if you need your headphone to be quiet you will want closed.

Supra-aural headphones don't completely cover the ear (grados, px100,200), but just rest on it. Circum-aural ones do.

You choice of type will depend on the conditions in which you will be predominantly using your headphones. For example, you might favour in ear monitors if you plan to use your headphones on the go and cannot stand outside noise. If you go jogging though, you might want clip ons (secure and allows you to hear traffic, etc).

There are good headphones/earphones for each type, even in your budget. So what are you looking for?

If still not sure, why don't you tell us how you plan to use these things? on the go, at home, quiet environment, etc etc.

When you say all rounder, do you mean sound wise or for all activities?

**edit: Maybe you can go to www.headphone.com (headrooms websit) and just look at their headphones. They carry quite a few and viewing can be arranged by type (earbud, iem ,circum-supra etc). Will give you a better idea of the type of cans around and their pros-cons

Edited by hansel_ng

Alright! That makes me much knowledgable in making my choice now. Tks Hansel.

All rounder refers to genre of music. I'm into home audio so jogging in the park has never cross my mind. I'm using it with my CDP so clip on may not be crucial. I think what I want should be a Circum-Aural Headphone. Is Grado SR-60 one of those? Also does the SR-60 good in using with H/P amp for my future up grade? Tks.

I think what I want should be a Circum-Aural Headphone. Is Grado SR-60 one of those?

Supra-aural headphones don't completely cover the ear (grados, px100,200), but just rest on it

U might have missed that! smile.gif

Edited by david watt

Basically what I'm asking is, what are your particular preferences/criterias as there are so many different types of headphones out there to recommend. It would help to narrow down what your specific needs are rather than asking for an all rounder which is vague & varies from one individual to another.

BTW, all Grados are Supra-aural (resting/covering on the ear - unless you have really tiny ears!).

If you're looking for circum-aural do you need it to be open (outside noise can come in or out) or closed (isolation).

SR60 Vs SR80. Apart from price, is SR80 much superior over the SR60? Still, which one do better playing direct from CDP? Sometimes higher model sounds worst if you don't match it with better set-up.

All Grados cans are easy to drive electrically (impedance 32ohms only). Hence the decision rests on your musical taste and comfort issues.........which means U still have to conduct personal auditions. Hey, even a Beyer DT250 has a 80ohm version which can be driven direct from CDP.

If your CDP is a Marantz, you are blessed with the fact that their headphone circuitry are usually capable of driving and sounding good with 250ohm cans....which eventually widen your options. End of day, how it sounds to you really matter most.