69CamaroSS396

Recommendation for portable CD player

Forgive me if this has been answered over and over. I want a portable CD player with true line level outputs. I hate using the headphone output on my cheap Philips. Any recommendations of something someone has actually used would be appreciated.

Panasonic SL-CT 720 or 820. The former should cost below $200 and the latter below $250. It's made in Japan and unlike Sony pcdps that are made in SE Asia. I'm currently using a SL-CT720 with PA2V2 amp and Beyer DT770 pro as portable system. Needless to say, the pcdp has a true line-out for this connection.

Edited by Mackie

Panasonic SL-CT 720 or 820. The former should cost below $200 and the latter below $250. It's made in Japan and unlike Sony pcdps that are made in SE Asia. I'm currently using a SL-CT720 with PA2V2 amp and Beyer DT770 pro as portable system. Needless to say, the pcdp has a true line-out for this connection.

Thanks Mackie! That's 2 recommendations I received for the same exact 2 models from Panasonic. I will definitely look into those. I am getting into DIY headphone amp building and have quickly discovered the drawbacks of the cheap headphone outputs. When I use my amps with my nice component CD player, WOW! With the portable, YUK! Such a huge difference in quality. Thanks again.

I think this is due to the line out quality vs the headphone amp in the portable CDPs. There is a diff even for the Panasonic CDP with the line-out and normal phone output. That's why mackie recommended these CDP with lineouts.

I think this is due to the line out quality vs the headphone amp in the portable CDPs. There is a diff even for the Panasonic CDP with the line-out and normal phone output. That's why mackie recommended these CDP with lineouts.

Heady, Yes, I understand it's counterproductive to use the headphone output if anything approaching quality sound while using a dedicated amp is the objective. That's what I'm going for.

Mackie, what are their main difference between the 2 model?

Thanks.

I believe all the CD players i see are in working conditions? :))

I never had a Sony or panasonic that lasted me more than 6 months! LOL! My last play was the Philip-Nike MP3-CD player. It had powerful anti-skip! That was the last of my CD-player line when i switched to digital mp3 after that. :dance:

But those 2 fellas (Panasonic SL-CT 720 and 820) are supposedly discontinued liao right ?

Edited by evian_vortex

[Top-Gun] said :

the CT820 is very hard to get, but Uncle really does have one in his shop, and that day a guy came in and wanted to test it on a CD player to test how good the DT880 can get.

And this is what he said,

"No discernable difference at all compared to.."

A Marantz transport -> Spitfire DAC -> Little Country Tube Headamp.

[end of quote]

LOL ... this is uber ownage ... this PCDP is equivalent to so much high-end mojo ...

I also notice this PCDP when i first went into the audio jungle (Uncle wilson , please forgive me) ... this unique super slim , super light and uber cold is a total gem amongst all the big black bricks in the jungle itself ...

Edited by evian_vortex

' date='21 Aug 2006, 05:59 PM' post='74894']

Err, if u did notice, :innocent:

It's not an audio jungle anymore. :P

Or were u referring to jungle as in "condensed with tall growing trees (analogy:high end products) that small, short trees (analogy:low end products) cannot survive in this environment"?

Cheers

Hmm ... I'll opt for both options ... both are really good descriptions of what i feel when i'm in the shop

I want a CT820 too! But hard to get? Isn't listed in Panny's site? But I did not go look for it at the stores, so not sure.