Sign in to follow this  
variablefeedback

Recommend headphone with out-of-the-head sou

HI,

Current using Senn HD565 Ovation.

The headband has disintegrated over the years and it cannot be replaced.

Its an OK can .. especially I got them cheap many years back.

Very warm and dark SENN sound ...

Can anyone point me in the right direction ...

which can has the most out-of-the-head kind of sound?

and I am not talking about the AKG K1000 please ... $$ not enough.

want to try something different.

Currently, looking at AT ATH- W1000, good value here .. never heard it though.

Can must be available locally and must have replaceable paddings.

Thanks.

Stay with open back design headphones for the out-of-the-head experience. I'm more familiar with Beyer models and as such, I suggest you audition the new DT990 (2006 edition) at AA. According to Albert, it sounds more open than the old DT990, which I own and also made some modification to the cup to enhance this aspect. Aside from Beyer, a Grado (personally owns SR80) never sounds claustrophobic to me.

I think what Mackie means is stay away from closed back designs. If you like the Senn sound try the HD-600 or HD-650. For a brighter sound go for the Grados. Beyer offers some nice cans too including the Dt-880 and DT-990. Another aspect to get the out-of-the-head experience is to use an amplifier with crossfeed feature. Also you can wear your headphones lower (ie bigger sige to headband) and bring the cups forward (nearer your cheeks). I cant remember but the W-1000 are closed back designs (I may be wrong cos its been a more than 2 years since I last heard them). However I'm puzzled cos if you have the cash for a W-1000 then the AKG K-1000 is not that much more (assuming you can still get them).

HI,

Current using Senn HD565 Ovation.

The headband has disintegrated over the years and it cannot be replaced.

Its an OK can .. especially I got them cheap many years back.

Very warm and dark SENN sound ...

Can anyone point me in the right direction ...

which can has the most out-of-the-head kind of sound?

and I am not talking about the AKG K1000 please ... $$ not enough.

want to try something different.

Currently, looking at AT ATH- W1000, good value here .. never heard it though.

Can must be available locally and must have replaceable paddings.

Thanks.

We have the Audio Technica ATH-W1000 in stock and for demo, retails for $550.

I think what Mackie means is stay away from closed back designs. If you like the Senn sound try the HD-600 or HD-650. For a brighter sound go for the Grados. Beyer offers some nice cans too including the Dt-880 and DT-990. Another aspect to get the out-of-the-head experience is to use an amplifier with crossfeed feature. Also you can wear your headphones lower (ie bigger sige to headband) and bring the cups forward (nearer your cheeks). I cant remember but the W-1000 are closed back designs (I may be wrong cos its been a more than 2 years since I last heard them). However I'm puzzled cos if you have the cash for a W-1000 then the AKG K-1000 is not that much more (assuming you can still get them).

You're right on the closed back design but I don't think that the K1000 and W1000 are close in pricing, maybe you're referring to the W5000 instead?

it sounds more open than the old DT990, which I own and also made some modification to the cup to enhance this aspect.

Thanks to all .... I thought th SOny CD3000 is king in this area?

care to describe your mod?

when is your review on DT990 coming har?

Read that DT990 is more ex than DT880 (all 2005 model, cant find 2006 in their website) becos of the former real steel grill. I'll take the plastic man .... if there is no real diff .... pow wow leh ... reviews ....

I have just listened to the DT990 at Anything Audio and it just blows my DT880 away. The sound staging and clarity makes it so transparent it sounds like I am listening to speakers. And the bass extension is good too. Anyone interested in a second hand DT880?

biggrin.gif

Heady, your description fits HD650 veru much,in that's case, DT990 offers better value than HD650, which i believe is 650 & above,

it sounds more open than the old DT990, which I own and also made some modification to the cup to enhance this aspect.

The CD3K's do sound open, but I find the soundstage a little artificial (resonance and all) for my taste.

Looks like the 2006 DT990 is another can to look out for. I'm eagerly awaiting Mackie's review, and possible comparisons with the HD650.

The CD3K's do sound open, but I find the soundstage a little artificial (resonance and all) for my taste.

Looks like the 2006 DT990 is another can to look out for. I'm eagerly awaiting Mackie's review, and possible comparisons with the HD650.

How much is the DT990 and 880 (2006 version) ...

Seems like they are diff. only in external casing material ...

Whatever the difference between the new DT990 and new DT880, they sound very different. I think the new DT990 are in the S$400+ range, don't know the cost of the new DT880. But AA has two sets of older model DT880 going at S$299.

DT880 adopts a semi-open design which strives to strike a balance of a closed and open back design. The former yields more bass volume and offers better isolation from ambient noise whilest the latter offers better soundstaging and generally, highlights nuances and details somewhat better.

DT990 is an open-back headphones and as explained earlier, there is certainly a difference in performance. Notice the half opened "venetian blinds" on the cups? These are meant to allow airflow from the back of the drivers while the "venetian blinds" help to limit leakage to a small degree. Cups of headphones have the same significance as cabinets of speakers. Ever noticed why Senn cups are rarely round but oval, eg HD600/650 etc?

I will be collecting a set of DT990 today for review. Watch for it. Enclosed is the official website that carries info of the new DT770/880/990 series.

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyerpages/hifiopen.html

Last checked with Anything Audio, DT880 costs slightly below S$400 and DT990 at S$499.

Mackie

Can you also do a comparison with the older DT990Pro and the DT990?

RE : out of head sound

Anyone considered/listened to the Grado 325i? How do these compare with the current crop of new cans?