Sign in to follow this  
Stereo_Electronics

Good durains?

It aint the season yet Aaron. In any case, did you choose the durians by color or smell? Seek the most pungent of them all and its detectable even when wrapped with plastic.

Edited by Mackie

Other than the smell, how else does one choose a durian?

Is the colour of the flesh a good indication of its quality?

Someone once told me to try to bend two thorns at the husk towards each other using the thumb and the index finger- the pliability can serve as an indication of the decency of the flesh lol. laugh.gif

A big resounding no! wink.gif

Let me add my two bits... biggrin.gif A friendly durian vendor told me that to choose durians with thick flesh, shake the durian. If you can feel the seeds rattling inside, it means the flesh is thick and the fruit ripe enough for the seeds to move.

However, there is no way to predict if the fruit will be sweet, bitter or tasteless. Of course, smell will tell you how pungent the flesh will be and usually strong smelling ones are also sweeter. But no guarantee.

biggrin.gif

Nowadays so many different types...d24..butter..XO. Test yourself also blur.

When it comes to durians, it's best to go to a vendor well established enough that you don't need to worry about choosing; they will give you the best no matter what. That means not randomly buying durians on the spur of the moment because some seller downstairs sell them. Will you buy a pair of headphones from the provision store downstairs?!?! Of course, sometimes you get lucky..

There's a famous shop near Balestier Shaw Centre that sells really good durian. Once a year my mom splurges, and I mean splurges: One box only can go for like 20-40sgd. But in good stalls like this, they open the durian for you and let you try the durian, if you and they agree the durian is not good they won't even sell it again but throw it away...

This is a Singaporean art man..I'm surprised there's no forum for durian connoisseurs. Haha

A big resounding no! wink.gif

Well, actually that was because the best durian that i have ever tasted was a gift from my relatives who brought them down from across the causeway.

The husk itself is a little yellowish-green and the flesh is golden(with a slight tint of brown) in colour. It does not glitter, of couse, but the taste was heavenly. thumbup1.gif

Edited by david watt

Now all the time also got durians. Even Thai durians are ok, in my opinion, if you get the good ones. Anyway, I haven't eaten durians for months already. Abstinence due to doctor's instructions. no.gif

tekong durians laugh.gif

not much flesh, but extremely flavoursome

you want the whole island after you arh...

ever tried those from LCK training area? ever picked up some on the way back after exercise and they were pretty nice tho rather smallish in size...

but of course if your past ur garang age, can try those from geylang ba...nowdays whenever I take a bus home even arnd midnight the eating areas outside the fruit stalls are quite crowded...

no problems with tekong laugh.gif the commander & camp commandant's a good friend of mine

they even have fist sized cockles there, of which i dare not try as i do not take shellfish.

local durians are typically thin fleshed but very rich in flavour.

mandai training area's got tons of durians too.

havent tried the lck ones b4 smile.gif

Woah! Is that a can of beer in the top left corner of the picture? I thought it was dangerous to have durians and beer together. Or is it just root beer? happy.gif