Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Is this finally a can for all seasons?

what kind of noise?

hum? or hiss?

if it's hum, yeah choke would do

I guess the B+ supply is not properly regulated then if there's a hint of hum

or not enough filtering.

Yes of course its the 250ohm stock model, there is a hint of tube noise when I turn up the vol with the 880, but not with the other cans I have. Asked TS about it and he said he will modify the design by adding a choke(?), I'm not technically inclined, so no idea what this does. He also mentioned using low noise tubes, which I have a few lying around somewhere, so it should not be a problem.

If you look inside your M7 preamp you will see what looks like a small transformer. That's a choke. So I guess he's going to put a smaller one into the headphone amp to reduce noise.

Thanks all for the advice, think I'll stick with the 250ohm version.

My concern with the high impedence cans was that if I needed to raise the vol too much, it would also amplify any noise in the amp's circuit, incl tube noise.

Your fears are unfounded. Consider signal-to-noise ratio. Unless the amp falters in this respect ie, poor (low) S/N ratio, an increase in volume will amplify the signal to such magnitude that the inherent noise within is less obvious. Not forgetting, higher impedance drivers (for cans) have greater slew factor which translates to greater control of air movement.

Hello everyone laugh.gif

I'm new in SG.I have get two Beyer cans(880, 990 V.06) and I very happy with 880 sound great but 990 has more bass extend and very sharp in high.In my opinion 990 is very hard to break in than 880.I'm worry about 990 sharp in high. no.gif

In thailand the Beyer's dealer sold 880 US$. 240 but the 990 for 175 US$.(very cheap)

I have a few question about the way to burnin & breakin the 990 to the best sound it can?

Sorry my english is bad hammer.gif

Hello everyone laugh.gif

I'm new in SG.I have get two Beyer cans(880, 990 V.06) and I very happy with 880 sound great but 990 has more bass extend and very sharp in high.In my opinion 990 is very hard to break in than 880.I'm worry about 990 sharp in high. no.gif

In thailand the Beyer's dealer sold 880 US$. 240 but the 990 for 175 US$.(very cheap)

I have a few question about the way to burnin & breakin the 990 to the best sound it can?

Hi,

My experience from DT880 V05 was it needed almost 200hrs to break-in. So I think the new DT990 will need almost similar amount with this the high will sound more refine without sharp edge.

Hi Tinykhing

You mean you can get the 2006 dt 990 at USD 175 at the following address in Bangkok?

Vichai Trading Company R.O.P.

573/2 SOI Ramkamhaeng, 39 Prachauthit Rd., Wangthonglang

10310 Bangkok

Thailand

Phone: +6625590956

Fax: +6625590959

Moblie: +6616323258

will have to try to find the place if i'm going to bangkok ...

Wow let's do a power buy! Now with DT880 & DT 990 (2006) @ $499 & $599, a huge saving ohmy.gif But how can DT990 be cheaper than DT880? Are you referring to DT990Pro? on the other hand, it is easier to accept if DT880 is US$240 or S$384. I am going up to Bangkok next month, let me check it up.

How much is a 06 DT880? $499? I tot of customising a pair at Beyer's site but the Euros are killers. no.gif After customising, a 880 cost almost $300 euros excluding shipping.

Hello everyone laugh.gif

Since nobody really answered your question, I'll give some suggestion. Actually its quite simple, just pick a CD or two, which has lots of treble and bass then put the CD on repeat. Let it play through the 990 for a few hours, then change to something else, maybe with lots of percussion and do the same thing. Your headphones should run in very quick.

The alternative is to get the XLO, Chesky or similar burn in CD and play those test sweep tones, repeatedly. I find this boring, but its supposed to work.

lolz using avril lavinge as a test cd, thats one hell of a choice

If my ears can "tar han" that kind of punishment, any other CD after that would sound good - LOL. Seriously, I use that and even Michael's Dangerous CD as test discs. You'll be surprised how good they can sound if setup properly and I play them back on my main rig, so the headphone should not be too far off.

An interesting new development has come up...I now have a set of the new DT990 for home trial. While I did listen to them straight out of the box and it didn't impress, the 990s are now more run-in and the sound has become more balanced. Stay tuned as these 2 go head to head in a final show down. box.gif

If DT990 (2006 edition) is indeed that cheap, you can be assured I will be selling some cans to fund this purchase!

Elmo: If you have the time, please investigate and report back.

Thank you cmk and everyone biggrin.gif

Sure for the price he show the price list to me. I think 990 price maybe mistaked list from Beyer in Germany. In the next order he maybe to adjust the price ohmy.gif

You can write e-mail to ask him for the price and specify details of the Model you want.

After I hard burning in I feel the high more refine and bass more soft deep headphone.gif