Sign in to follow this  
atomiccow

Looking for new headphones

It should not sound muffled. I think you might not have a good fit with the ety biflanges.

Shure only has single flange tip. Try the grey soft flex. The clear ones are actually good for Westones too. There is a FS thread at classifieds now if you're interested.

Guest joi-ful

Whoa atomiccow!

Until now I still dare not to try out higher iem in fear of getting hooked on the never-ending upgrading process. Really envy u for buying on the spot at Jaben. Now i'm still stuck with my pair of cresyn. =|

May I ask how much did you pay for ur HJE70 and ur UM1?? Do they really give you the most 'bang for buck'?? Kinda gian the UM1 though.. after reading the posts here. =P

gian no use... go and try for yourself is better :)

for me, i'm not impressed with UM1... perhaps it doesn't synergise with my lousy iPod :shrug:

the CK7 on the other hand... :wub:

Whoa atomiccow!

Until now I still dare not to try out higher iem in fear of getting hooked on the never-ending upgrading process. Really envy u for buying on the spot at Jaben. Now i'm still stuck with my pair of cresyn. =|

May I ask how much did you pay for ur HJE70 and ur UM1?? Do they really give you the most 'bang for buck'?? Kinda gian the UM1 though.. after reading the posts here. =P

don't resist, give in~~~

Ok, so i went to Jaben network today to test the UM1 and ER-6i. I agree the UM1 do sound better than the ER-6i but... well... personally i think the sound is so muffled and hollow. I thought it might just be the ear pieces so i bought them along with a pair of etymotic triflange tips. When i got home and tested them with the etymotic tips, however, they still sounded the same. Even when modded to dualflange, it still sounded the same. Apart from the eargasmic vocals, i think my HJE70s totally own them in all other factors... Now i know, logically, this is probly impossible so i want to know what other ppl do to them to make them sound not muffled. Is it the ear pieces or what? I just feel something is greatly lacking in the UM1s, not that it wasn't in the ER-6i, but my music just sounds so hollow and well, i guess the best word to describe it is muffled, perhaps they need burn in? I know with all the praises the UM1s get, this can't be the true sound.

some months ago when i went over to squalle's place to try his UM2, they sounded that way to me.

just sounded wrong, and i don't think it was the fit, because i put it on 3 times (due to a few unfortunate phone calls), and they sounded the same.

when i went down to stereo to try, they STILL sounded wrong to me, even with all the different tips i tried.

(my little brother likes the UM2 though. unfortunately he's only primary 6 and cannot begin to afford such an expensive hobby)

in the end, i took the leap and got a pair of ety er4, and what i can say is that, i have no complaints and no regrets :D

SOOO.., the favourite phones around might not be to your liking, and please try to audition expensive phones before you buy them, esp. if you cannot return them.

edit: and recently i've noticed several members on the forums who like to pressure other members into buying phones, i hope this practice doesnt continue

high end equipment cost a pretty penny, and the purchase decision should be considered carefully, don't rush into them and regret

Edited by siriuz

You can take note of what's in demand or popular. But ultimately you gotta trust your own ears. It's best you try them yourself, then consider other factors like pricing, build or design. For me over the Er6i and UM1, i bought the UM1 due to the fact that it's cheaper, feels more comfortable and has a better build. Sounds wise i kinda like ER6i's more, but felt that extra $50 wouldn't do much justice for the soft earphone bags, thin fragile wires and not so comfortable style of wearing them.

Guest joi-ful

I found this on afbug1's review at HWZ

Westone’s sound can have drastic changes with different ear tips. With a carefully selected tip, it will sound as what I had described. Without one, it will sound worst than a cheap radio. Generally, a modded bi-flange and short Complys provide the best fit and sound.

So maybe that's why atomiccow finds them hollow sounding?

Hi Guys,

Found this thread discussion on Panasonic HJE70.

I used this handsome earphone for over a year now everyday from my mp3 source and I would say fully

burn-in the dynamic driver. Quite easy to drive from my mp3 player without a dedicated amp.

I love the fun sound signature very much - Punchy powerful tight "subwoofer" bass that send resonant

through your ear is an experience (I never heard a S/C perform like this) without scrifice on clarity, treble extended very high, at first very emphasize on "Ssssss" but after more than I say like 200 hours (patience), it smooth down a lot no longer that harsh and I would say fast, clear, detail but never overwelming. It bring the details, out of all my mp3 without over emphasize on the flaw. The only weakness I will say is the vocal, which sound distanced, far away, lack life, realism, emotion to move me.

Any owner of HJE70 found any higher IEM that offer the same tight "subwoofer bass" but with a more emotional mid range especially on female vocal, smooth never harsh treble. Also I dont use amp so it has to be easy to drive from my mp3 player.

I hearty recommend this SC entry earphone to anyone that wants to feel the music!