Sign in to follow this  
atomiccow

Looking for new headphones

Ok, so i went to Jaben network today to test the UM1 and ER-6i. I agree the UM1 do sound better than the ER-6i but... well... personally i think the sound is so muffled and hollow. I thought it might just be the ear pieces so i bought them along with a pair of etymotic triflange tips. When i got home and tested them with the etymotic tips, however, they still sounded the same. Even when modded to dualflange, it still sounded the same. Apart from the eargasmic vocals, i think my HJE70s totally own them in all other factors... Now i know, logically, this is probly impossible so i want to know what other ppl do to them to make them sound not muffled. Is it the ear pieces or what? I just feel something is greatly lacking in the UM1s, not that it wasn't in the ER-6i, but my music just sounds so hollow and well, i guess the best word to describe it is muffled, perhaps they need burn in? I know with all the praises the UM1s get, this can't be the true sound.

Ok, so i went to Jaben network today to test the UM1 and ER-6i. I agree the UM1 do sound better than the ER-6i but... well... personally i think the sound is so muffled and hollow. I thought it might just be the ear pieces so i bought them along with a pair of etymotic triflange tips. When i got home and tested them with the etymotic tips, however, they still sounded the same. Even when modded to dualflange, it still sounded the same. Apart from the eargasmic vocals, i think my HJE70s totally own them in all other factors... Now i know, logically, this is probly impossible so i want to know what other ppl do to them to make them sound not muffled. Is it the ear pieces or what? I just feel something is greatly lacking in the UM1s, not that it wasn't in the ER-6i, but my music just sounds so hollow and well, i guess the best word to describe it is muffled, perhaps they need burn in? I know with all the praises the UM1s get, this can't be the true sound.

This is attributed to the UM1's lower treble rolloff. Its in the UM1's nature, no amount of burn-in will fix it (It doesn't need any since its using B-A drivers, not D-D drivers).

If your player has a 5 band EQ and you don't mind EQing, adjust the 4th last band upwards to alleviate this problem a little bit.

like we all say, i guess it up to the individual. i for one prefer less treble, slightly more bass (not overkill techno kind). my ears can't stand sharp high trebles so the um1s work better for me. oh well i'm still new to the scene, so i guess i'm off to try more iems. perhaps, i'll find the right one lol... as of now, i'm happy with the um1s

whats ba driver and dd driver?

Edited by fallraen

have u tried it with the shure yellow foamies (for shure e3c onwards - they should fit ok)? i thought they made my UM2 sound less "muffled", compared to the comply tips. haven't tried it with the UM1 though ... will probably try it this weekend ... ymmv

The answer is really right before you. You much prefer the HJE-70s compared to the more "established" (or "snob?") brands like Shures or Westones or whatever.

Problem is that most Internet forums fall into groupthink traps very easily. There's always a new FOTM, so don't always be too quick to follow what everyone is saying.

What yslee said is correct. From the brief moment that I tried the HJE70 and the multiple occasions I borrowed UM1s here and there, I did prefer the sound of the HJE70 over the UM1 (despite the very recessed midrange). This goes for the CK7 as well, which I like over the UM1.

It all depends on personal taste, really :)

Edited by Zephyron

First, use higher quality MP3s. Or you can try a Shure grey flex, the difference is not big against the Ety biflange but it opens up more treble for me. Or maybe it is equipment mismatch, some player pair up with the UM1 better than others. UM1's treble is a little recessed, so if your ears are not sensitive to the higher frequencies, maybe a ER6i/CK7 will suit you better.

If it sounds hollow, you might not get a good seal. How did you mount your Ety biflange?

I say this again, give yourself at least 1 week to adjust to the new earphone. And seriously, spending $200 and expecting a upgrade from all aspects to your HJE70 is very unrealistic. And if you're not convienced about the sound during testing, why buy it? If you have not notice the better details and resolution, tighter bass, I think you cannot tell the difference, just stick to your HJE70. UM1 will NOT have more bass, treble, midrage etc. There're other qualitites in good sound beside tonal quality too.

What yslee said is correct. From the brief moment that I tried the HJE70 and the multiple occasions I borrowed UM1s here and there, I did prefer the sound of the HJE70 over the UM1 (despite the very recessed midrange). This goes for the CK7 as well, which I like over the UM1.

It all depends on personal taste, really :)

Oh where did you test the HJE 70? I would like to test too. Compared to the E4 how do you think they differ? Guess I am more biased towards midrange and highs. Now when I put on the UM2, I just feel there is something missing in the music compared to E4. haha

Testable at Stereo Electronics.

When you compare the E4 to the HJE70, its safe to say that the HJE70 would make the more neutral sounding E4 sound dead, and being an E4 user, I found the HJE70 very artificial, but at the same time quite fun.

Differences you'll immediately notice is the bass. While it is tight, it comes in quantities that can actually be ear shattering. Quite a shaking experience, and if my memory serves me correctly, its bass quantity surpasses a UM2 (be sure to get a good seal). Its treble goes very high though, and is more than obviously emphasized, and because of this, sibilance is ever present, and it can be quite harsh. Next but not the last thing you'll notice is the midrange... which feels, very recessed. Its somehow like scooping a big portion out of the midrange. Vocals can sound a bit grainy I guess, but most importantly, they sound distant.

(In short, an obvious V-shaped graph aka Rock EQ setting)

To sum up the HJE70, I'd say it is the Sony MDR-EXx1 series done right with a much prettier housing to boot. Definitely the semi-canal for bassheads.

Edited by Zephyron

NICE description over there! Thanks alot! Will go down to Stereo Electronics when I have the time? School holidays now? Hehe....having my school holidays now. Having my exams next week! I still think if the E4 can have more bass then it will be an ultimate IEM.

After listening to them a few days and adjusting, yes, they are deffinately sounding better. Raising the treble on my equalizer has solved the hollow and muffled problem a lot. Still I prefer my HJE70 for musical songs with no vocals. The UM1s are very nice for vocal songs.

This is good, as i said, i wasn't looking for a replacement for my HJE70s, i was looking for more variety. Now i have both, a pair of headphones good for musical songs, and a pair good for vocal songs.

Oh ya, are there Shure dualflange tips?

Edited by atomiccow